Lasse D

[MOC] Porsche 919 Hybrid Le Mans race car in scale 1:20

Update! I have updated the model substantially and made building instructions

Instructions here: http://c-mt.dk/instructions/models_car-Porsche919.htm

36796360092_de1b393f7d_c.jpg

See my last post for more images of the latest updated model

This is Porsche's entry into the LMP1 Hybrid class of Le Mans 2017. It will most likely be either this car or the Toyota TS050 Hybrid that wins the big race next weekend. This model is in scale 1:20.

Porsche 919 Hybrid in scale 1:20 - Le Mans trim

Shown here is the #1 car driven by Neel Jani, Nick Tandy and André Lotterer. Notice the "24H Le Mans" plackard on the side indicating the Le Mans trim.

It will be easy to change to the #2 car (the other Porsche 919 Hybrid at Le Mans) by simply changing the three parts with the "1" to "2".

Porsche 919 Hybrid (rear)

This car can not be uploaded to LEGO Ideas because of the ongoing LEGO/Porsche collaboration. It would have been cool with a "The hybrid LMP1 cars of Le Mans 2017" project.

For WIP pictures of this model, see the Toyota TS050 Hybrid topic:

Edited by Lasse D
New model + instructions + video

Thanks, and yeah. It would be nice with real stickers. These are simple paper cutouts glued on using paper glue.

Here the car is with the #2 livery. It's a simple modification :D

Porsche 919 Hybrid Number 2

Thanks. I will make building instructions once I get back from Le Mans and have improved the cars even more (interior, more clearance in the wheel arches, etc). The rear spoiler is currently as sturdy as the real car - if it was made of paper.

On 6/12/2017 at 5:56 AM, Lasse D said:

Thanks. I will make building instructions once I get back from Le Mans and have improved the cars even more (interior, more clearance in the wheel arches, etc). The rear spoiler is currently as sturdy as the real car - if it was made of paper.

Amazingly well done cars. Are you planning on building the Audi r18 or is this only the 2017 prototypes #ripaudi2017

Thanks a lot. I have now finally finished rebuilding the Porsche:

6rebuild8hours_before_sitckers_top.jpg

The changes consist of pretty much a complete overhaul of everything. Only details like the wheels, headlights, the parts of the sides with the stickers and the upper air intakes above the wheels have remained from the version before Le Mans.

Now it's time to make building instructions and apply stickers. A new sticker sheet has been printed. It will hopefully result in better stickers this time around.

6rebuild8hours_before_sitckers_rear.jpg

6rebuild8hours_before_sitckers.jpg

The Toyota is still very much a WIP. The triangular livery has proven much harder to build in LEGO than the cleaner red and gray lines on the Porsche.

6rebuild4hours_toyota.jpg

I will update with progress on the instructions.

Very nicely done. I did a series of these cars as 10-wides using that Speed Champions canopy as well as the SC wheels/tires and fenders. They're almost bang on 1/24 scale and have some minimal chassis and driveline details, but the wheel/tire setup is just a bit too small...

Embrace the stickos.Audi R18 '16 (1/24 SC+ Scale)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/prototyp/albums/72157663863658604

Seems your 12w is about the upper limit for that canopy windscreen piece to still work in scale, tho the Creator wheels and low-profile tires here could probably handle up to 14w... Either way, you've been able to work in some really nice details (the open fender tops!) as well as great brick-built liveries. Looking forward to seeing more.

Edited by prototyp

Wow! Those are some super high quality stickers you have there! You are correct regarding the canopy. Although it is the best one suited for 12 wide, I have had to add some black surrounds to it in order to make it appear wider visually. I hope that I will have time to take a good picture of the Porsche tomorrow.

I have finally finished the building instructions (http://c-mt.dk/instructions/models_car-Porsche919.htm)

Here the car is with the updated stickers. They look much better with proper white backgrounds.

36796360092_de1b393f7d_c.jpg

The only change I have made to the rear in the instructions is to use a black technic pin instead of the blue one to hold the spoiler

36827470711_07e64f3f17_c.jpg

As a new thing I have started to recreate famous photos from Le Mans. This is the first one. Here you can see car #2 crossing the finish line and winning Le Mans 2017:

36243037023_3df8937a6e_c.jpg

There was a comment on Eurobricks that I could use the new 2x2 corner tile in red once it is available. It has recently been released in the new Speed Champions Ferrari set and I have to agree - it looks quite good on the front of the porsche (right behind the headlights).

08_porsche919hybrid_new_parts.jpg

Do you think I should update the instructions with this change?