Sign in to follow this  
DarkShadow73

9396 Heli - need some help/insight

I am finally assembling the 9396 Rescue Heli and am quite confused with the string reel and hook, mainly how they are attached to the 13L black beam with a 3L friction pin w/ stopbush.  This would be in Book 2, page 12, steps 3 to 5.  Then again when the gearbox is mostly assembled on page 18, step 73.  I always test all gearing to make sure nothing is too tight so gears turn freely on the axles, but I don't see how 16-tooth gear in step 73 can turn the 16-tooth dk grey clutch gear when the gear is engaged.  I tried hand-turning the clutch gear and the grey gear and they are so tight because of that 3L pin w/ the stopbush.  Am I doing something wrong here? 

I just don't see, even if I put PF into the heli that the string will go in and out of the pulley.  

Any input appreciated.  

Thanks.

No, I do not see anything wrong. In the instructions it says to put the friction pin there, maybe something else is too tight? Maybe the winch is hard to turn on purpose - so that it can hold another small creation without it slipping.

21 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

No, I do not see anything wrong. In the instructions it says to put the friction pin there, maybe something else is too tight? Maybe the winch is hard to turn on purpose - so that it can hold another small creation without it slipping.

Thanks for replying.  I finished the model today and added the optional PF parts.  I always make sure all gears and moving parts can spin freely and aren't too tight on axles, etc.  However, out of the 4 power functions, the rotors will spin but erratically, sometimes getting stuck it seems.  Gears just start jittering.  The hook will not retract or come back up at all when that gear is engaged.  The cargo bay door and the landing gear work fine.  I took off the M-motor and all gears spin freely when both gear selectors are in neutral position.  I am at a loss here.  I checked batteries they are new, and have full charge, they are alkalines.  Obviously this is one of those types of models, well really set that comes with PF or sets where they can be added to motorize the features, that is so much more fun with PF elements.  

I see I got a lot of views, but only 1 reply.  I realize this model is from 2H2012, so nearly 5 yrs old, but I would guess other members have/do own this set and have motorized it.  I just really don't know what else to do but tear down a good portion of the set and rebuild the gearing, but like I said if I pull the motor off everything spins freely, including the white clutch gear and the 8 tooth spur gear that actually spins the main shaft/axle.  As far as the string/hook assembly, I have built plenty of smaller cranes, etc, where 2 blue axle/pins are inserted into a beam with 2 8-tooth spur gears on the axle end of the blue pins, giving the string output friction so the string doesn't pay out by itself, but this 3L pin w/ stopbush is impossible to turn.  I have used the string reel to retract and pull up string, but its super tight even by hand, the M-motor won't even spin that axle when clutch is engaged, the gears just bounce up and down slightly.  

If anyone else has any good ideas, please let me know.  Thanks very much.

This is supposed to be tight, if the gear spins freely, then the object being hooked would drop like a rock - instructions on this part are correct as printed.

JGW3000- thanks for the reply.  So I know I built it right, but I've never come across a reel that had to be forcefully pulled out and reeled back in as tough as this one is, and the PF motor doesn't even touch it.  

Sorry for digging this out. Had the same problem.Used a newly friction pin and the whole whinch mechanism stuckted. For me I tried two way: First: Replace the friction Pin and the 5-axe connected to, with a stopper and a 7-axe. The other way was to modify the friction pin with a knive. Tried to soften the friction while spinning, even with a motor, but that stucked to.

Hello,

I recently bought the set second hand, and had the same problem. The build is indeed correct but the winch doesn't move by hand or with a motor. I replaced the part with an axle assembly so that it can turn without friction, and everything works fine. I found it a strange solution from lego.