Sign in to follow this  
legofrik

[MOC] Railroad Signal tower

Goal of this MOC was to make a replica of Faller Railroad Signal tower.

330914.jpg

I made it in Winter edition, because it will be part of winter diorama for our next exhibition in October.
Of course, it can't be 100% the same as Faller made, but I hope I manage to made the recognizable details. :classic:

04pola330914.jpg

05pola330914.jpg

That's an excellent replica, if a little tall for minifig scale - those stairs look scary! I love the planking effect on the upper half, and the brick window arches. Does it have an interior?

Why don't you ask a mod to move this over to train tech, I'm sure it will get more appreciation over there.

@ColletArrow, thx m8!
Yes, it's a little bit taller, because of the roof, which must be under 45 degrees to hide the gaps above the "planks" as much as possible.
Sorry, it's without interior. I usually make my creations for the exhibitions, where interior is not important, because it can't be seen.
I was thinking to post it under Train section, because it's a railroad structure, but it's still a "house" and I decided to put it here in "City" section.

If moderator think, it will better fits in Train section, please move it there. Thank you! 

It looks amazing!!!

- the roof - the archers above the windows, WOW!!!

Greetings

Well done. I agree, it does look recognizable when compared to the Faller model. One think I'm not sure of is the door handle on the second floor. It's the bucket handle used as a door handle, a great use by the way, but I'm affraid you used your ''special powers'' to fit it in the jumper plate. The dark red brick pattern above windows is great, even if it's bigger than in the Faller model, it gives the building a noticeable detail.

@carebear THX!

@Redhead1982 my "special powers" are unpredictable as my imagination. So I used broken bucket handle as a door handle - on both floors BTW. :wink:

I really like it, especially the way the top floor is separated from the bottom. Three things:

1. The bottom floor looks a little top-heavy, try to move the windows up one brick so there is more space above than below.

2. Having the white roof snow and the white walls looks a little confusing; it makes it look like the walls are covered in snow. I wonder how a different color on the bottom would look. I think this will be even more aparrant when your display diorama has snow on the ground outside the buildings.

3. Have you considered adding some icicles?

Both those suggestions are purely subjective and it really does look nice the way it is.

Edited by gotoAndLego

@lightningtiger THX m8! :classic:

@gotoAndLego THX for suggestions. I'm open for new solutions and salute the suggestions, so no hard feelings at all. :wink:
First sorry for my "broken English", I hope you'll understand what I'll write. :blush:
The windows are on that low position because of the balcony above the door. Dark red plates above the door and windows are on the same position. So I need to take a compensation and lower the windows.

About the snow. I know, white building on white snow will hide, but this building will stand on clear LBG base plate and there will be also a few things around it to break up the monotony of color.
It's a "heavy" job to make lots of building for snowy diorama and not to use white color for the walls, especially that village will looks like villages in Alps - mostly white and brown combination of color.

Icicles. I thought about them. I thought to use 1x1 plate with clip at the edge of the roof and put the spear tip with fins on them. Part No: 24482  Name: Minifig, Weapon Spear Tip with Fins And for small ones this horn 53451.t1.png
But according to the roof angle, they can't be put nicely into clips (to stand verticaly down), so I decided not to use them - If you know what I mean. BTW, do you have any other solution?

Excellent! Wonderful use of different textures and period features. For a Lego model, it is scaled well. My only criticism would be the exposed studs on the lower window ledges, but that's really just nit-picking, I truly love it as is.

@pinioncorp, THX, About window ledges... I still don't know If I put on 1x4 LBG tile or some "snow". Accoriding to white wall, there were probably be tiles. :wink:

Regarding the icicles, what about using those bent droid arm style pieces you see holding up the spoilers on the speed champion sets connected to something on the roof?

Great MOC! Looking forward to seeing it in person!

Really nice work. Making a replica in LEGO always means making compromises. But overall it looks great. I am curious to see the rest of the layout around it.