BarakRL

SBrickPad (SBrick-Controller) for iOS progress update

Updated:

The (almost) final version of the app is ready, app renamed to SBrickPad.

For now, you can download the source from my GitHub page: https://github.com/BarakRL/SBrickPad
If there will be enough demand I'll make it available for download from the App Store.

The app supports MFI and iCade gamepads, on-screen gamepad will be added later this month.

demo.gif?raw=true

More videos coming soon.

---

Well it's not done yet but it's getting there.

I've added support for both iCade and MFI gamepads and many other features:

• precision controls (you can even set the easing curve if you want)
  • SBrick connection recovery
  • multiple actions per button event (press/release/value change) so you can control multiple motors with one button or simply play an engine sound while the car is accelerating 
  • load/save (and share) action sets
  • import sounds
  • many other things I can't think off right now

Do do:

• Edit actions UI (you can now only edit the json file)
  • On screen virtual gamepad (so it can replace the SBrick app for people without gamepads that still want more control)
  • Make it pretty
  • Documentation etc.

The app is still in development, but the source is available to download from my GitHub if you want to play with it already: https://github.com/BarakRL

I would love to hear your feedback!

Edited by BarakRL
updated

That is wonderful, thank you for sharing! What kind of gamepad (with analog sticks) do you use? I want to buy one and try the app:)

How reliable the connection is? Were there any disconnects with SBrick or gamepad? Does the app support two and more SBricks?

Edited by Limga
little correction

it's a SteelSeries Nimbus, but any MFI game pad will work. There are no connection issues whatsoever with the MFI game pads or the sbrick, but I'm only supporting a single sbrick for now (I would love to add support for more, but I only have one for testing).

Im also planing to contact BuWizz and see if they will be willing to share their Bluetooth protocol specs so I can add support for it as well (if anyone already have it, please let me know). 

Thank you for your reply!
I have downloaded app into my iPhone just to see how it looks. Tomorrow I will get my MFI gamepad and try it out.
I would advice to add an option to choose SBrick. Now it connects automatically and this could be a problem on a race, for example, when there are a few models with SBricks.
If you need something to test, just let me know, I will do:) I do have 2 SBricks and BuWizz and can test how app work with them.
As far as I know BuWizz haven't shared their protocol specs yet.

Edited by Limga

I tried it with gamepad and it works wonderful! Thank you very much!

That's great to hear! Hopefully I'll have another update later this week, with proper button editing.

Oh, and I'd love to see a video of your build in action :)

17 hours ago, BarakRL said:

That's great to hear! Hopefully I'll have another update later this week, with proper button editing.

Oh, and I'd love to see a video of your build in action :)

Here you are:) Turn on English subtitles.

Edited by Limga

2 hours ago, Limga said:

Here you are:) Turn on English subtitles.

Love it! Thank for the video. 

23 hours ago, BarakRL said:

FYI app updated, you can now program all actions in the app (see first post).

Great to hear that you keep working on it! Since SBrick official app always crashes on my iPhone I would love to have a working app on AppStore.

I will try it soon. I know many people who don't like SBrick official app since it's limited functionality (e.g. can't use one channel on two gamepad buttons), so I will tell them to ask you make app public on AppStore:)

I have two suggestions:
1) First one is to make an option to choose SBrick. It is critical, for example, on a meeting or a competition, where are many peoples with SBricks and there is no option to connect only to yours SBrick.
2) Second one is to make support for two and more SBricks. That would be awesome. I am really willing to pay for an stable app with highly customizable gamepad control profile that allows to control two SBricks. 

Thank you for your work!

Guys, we need alternative app for Gamepads! Please don't reject this app! Keep working!