After taking apart my class tractor I was looking at the new hubs, and got a great idea. Why not create a proper tatra concept with the 62.4 mm wheels.

Fiddling around in LDD I created a 10x10 concept model:

Tatra%2062.4.png

The main features I wanted to have are as following:

• Seperated drive axle from the weight bearing axle - this way the friction is greatly reduced and efficiency improved
  • Linked steering - realistic, simple and relaible solution for which steering angle is almost unaffected by suspension travel
  • Leaf suspension - a simple leaf sprung suspension which allows smooth travel over bumps without weight transfer

First the drive, as you can see the pivot axles are a stud off center of the cenetr drive axle, therebye carrying all the weight. You can also see the 9L link resting on the brown 3.2mm bar acting as a reinforced leaf spring. Notice the half a stud offset between left and right side wheels.

800x451.jpg

Looking at the whole chassis you can see front and rear suspension are pretty much the same, the only difference bing the front steers and has one wheel per axle, while the rear has dual wheels for maximum traction

800x396.jpg

Steering uses small linear actuators and links in order to steer the axles. The steering angles can be adjusted by steering lever length and position of the linkage on the red steering swing. This way the first axle steers at a higher angle than the second.

800x451.jpg

And finally here is the whole truck. I know it does not look very Tatra-ish, but I couldn't resist the bright color (vomit)

800x576.jpg

Rear view:

800x523.jpg

I finished up the truck with a working steering wheel and a fake V8 engine.

Here are the final stats:

• Length: 37 cm
  • Width: 16 cm
  • Height: 15,5 cm
  • Weight: 1200 grams
  • Gear ratio: 1:2,78 powered by a single 1 XL motor

Expect a video of the truck soon :classic:

P.S. I really hope this model will inspire more people to build models at such scale.

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

Wow , looks fantastic , the purple cabin is amazing!

Edited by LXF

Just now, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Looks cool, but only the LDD pic is showing, the others are blank.

Works for me.

Ok, lets try pictures again:

800x576.jpg

800x523.jpg

800x396.jpg

800x451.jpg

800x451.jpg

wonderful, i really like the only half stud offset from the two sides, generally i don't like that offset but is almost impossible to have other efficient solution at that scale, also you've made a really good work with the steering!

I experimented many times with this offset setup, but never finished it. You did it, and that's the reason for forgiving this insane colour scheme.
Personally, I would consider using  micro fake engine, that could be proper V10 or V12,. 
Do you plan to make a video?

1 hour ago, HorcikDesigns said:

I experimented many times with this offset setup, but never finished it. You did it, and that's the reason for forgiving this insane colour scheme.
Personally, I would consider using  micro fake engine, that could be proper V10 or V12,. 
Do you plan to make a video?

Of course, video and share the LDD file. And about the color scheme...Its different :laugh:

Now that's an awesome Tatra design, steering is amazing and suspension rocks, can't wait to see the video!

On 5/27/2017 at 6:36 PM, Zero (Zblj) said:

After taking apart my class tractor I was looking at the new hubs, and got a great idea. Why not create a proper tatra concept with the 62.4 mm wheels.

Fiddling around in LDD I created a 10x10 concept model:

The main features I wanted to have are as following:

• Seperated drive axle from the weight bearing axle - this way the friction is greatly reduced and efficiency improved
  • Linked steering - realistic, simple and relaible solution for which steering angle is almost unaffected by suspension travel
  • Leaf suspension - a simple leaf sprung suspension which allows smooth travel over bumps without weight transfer

First the drive, as you can see the pivot axles are a stud off center of the cenetr drive axle, therebye carrying all the weight. You can also see the 9L link resting on the brown 3.2mm bar acting as a reinforced leaf spring. Notice the half a stud offset between left and right side wheels.

Looking at the whole chassis you can see front and rear suspension are pretty much the same, the only difference bing the front steers and has one wheel per axle, while the rear has dual wheels for maximum traction

Steering uses small linear actuators and links in order to steer the axles. The steering angles can be adjusted by steering lever length and position of the linkage on the red steering swing. This way the first axle steers at a higher angle than the second.

And finally here is the whole truck. I know it does not look very Tatra-ish, but I couldn't resist the bright color (vomit)

Rear view:

I finished up the truck with a working steering wheel and a fake V8 engine.

Here are the final stats:

• Length: 37 cm
  • Width: 16 cm
  • Height: 15,5 cm
  • Weight: 1200 grams
  • Gear ratio: 1:2,78 powered by a single 1 XL motor

Expect a video of the truck soon :classic:

P.S. I really hope this model will inspire more people to build models at such scale.

Just one simple question - do you have some precise scale like 1:20 or it was a goal that model is based on 62.4 tires?

Despite that I'm not fan of Tatrs's I must admit model in interesting :thumbup:

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

Just one simple question - do you have some precise scale like 1:20 or it was a goal that model is based on 62.4 tires?

Despite that I'm not fan of Tatrs's I must admit model in interesting :thumbup:

Just scaling up according to the wheels. Thanks. I plan to release a full video of the model at the end of the week.

23 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Just scaling up according to the wheels. Thanks. I plan to release a full video of the model at the end of the week.

You're welcome. I was asking about scale because I've decides recently to make all my models in scale 1:17,5 to fit @2LegoOrNot2Lego... (Ingmar's) trucks. Just joking about Ingmar, but last weekend I managed to make CLAAS tire to be 110mm in diameter with 94.8 baloon tire and 10,6 motorcycle tire inside all...so I can make models that I like from trucks to tractor (except cars) in this scale. 8110 set is simply top heavy and steering is very bad, so I've made this one to use 68.8 X 24 tires from black cat...

When video will be released, I'll be glad to watch it :wink:

On 5/27/2017 at 6:53 PM, PKW said:

wonderful, i really like the only half stud offset from the two sides, generally i don't like that offset but is almost impossible to have other efficient solution at that scale, also you've made a really good work with the steering!

The offset is good, because real Tatra trucks really have offset between left and right axles!

16 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Will instructions or at least a video be made soon? Can't wait to build the suspension :)

LDD file and video are planned for next weekend.

And here you can see some scenes of the model in action outdoors:

A more detailed video is in the works

On 2017-5-28 at 2:36 AM, Zero (Zblj) said:

Actually, that's what I was thinking when I built my mini rally truck!

I felt like that most of these smaller scale wheels are more common but mostly unused which is sad.

I'm pretty sure both our models are at the same scale haha.

I just think that at this scale they look cute :)

@Zero (Zblj) I see, that You are very much inspiderd by newest Lego official color schemes. :classic:

Edited by Jurss