Khaled Yousef

[MOC] Millennium Falcon (40th Anniversary)

Happy Star Wars 40th Anniversary everyone.

This month, I decided that my celebration MOC should be the most iconic ship in the entire Star Wars universe. And while everyone is waiting for the new UCS set to be announced I thought I could ease the anticipation by giving a slight taste of what I wish we would be getting this year.

I’ve been working on this ship since early 2015, and I had to re-design it several times to be able to achieve a frame that could accommodate an interior without compromising the ruggedness. I also tried to keep the ship at reasonable minifig scale, not too big like the UCS which makes minifigs look like hobbits, and not too small and inaccurate like the System sets.

I tried to capture the exterior as well as I could, and of course I used the epic models of Pepa Quin and Marshal Banana for inspiration. But I had do re-design everything to maintain the playability and opening top functions without sacrificing any exterior details. The top opens easily and closes firmly using magnet connections so it won’t flip open when the ship is upside down.

For the interior I had to rely only on the cross-section images to get all the details right, and I tried to capture as many details as possible especially for the engine room with the hyper drive and the main hold. The corridor and compartments layout is also accurate, and I will be uploading more images comparing my layout to the actual model later.

Also the bottom side of the ship is complete and fully detailed like the top, but I didn’t have enough time to take pictures of it. I will be uploading more detailed images showing the landing gear, freight elevator and opening escape pod hatch, a detailed boarding ramp and of course more lovely greebling.

I hope this model is good enough to ease the waiting for the official UCS set, and that it lives up to the special occasion of celebrating 40 years of Star Wars awesomeness.

34506213650_c1134027a5_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 1 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34506213670_e786935bfe_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 2 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34506213700_d7b56ef668_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 3 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34506213730_248bdf2837_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 4 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

:sweet:

pretty much exactly what I think 75192 will end up being, it's beautiful! any chance you can give a size comparison to the 10179?

This is a great rendition of the Falcon. Very smooth and the proportions look perfect. With all the details in the model, could you take more close ups of it? I love looking at the interior details. Could use a little more light as well.

4 hours ago, RogueRecon said:

pretty much exactly what I think 75192 will end up being, it's beautiful! any chance you can give a size comparison to the 10179?

Thanks RogueRecon. I don't have 10179 but I'll try to Photoshop a comparison photo with both the UCS and the System sets to show how my model fits between those two.

3 hours ago, Smitty500 said:

This is a great rendition of the Falcon. Very smooth and the proportions look perfect. With all the details in the model, could you take more close ups of it? I love looking at the interior details. Could use a little more light as well.

Of course, I'll be taking tons of close-ups, I made a really big effort trying to put as many details as possible in this model, so I'll be posting details photos until you guys yell at me to stop. I was just in a hurry to catch up with the 40th Anniversary date so I took a couple of quick photos last night; a couple of Bricklink orders got delayed so I had to work till the last minuet.

Excellent work again Khaled! You must be a very busy man! ;)

A true feat of engineering and this time with playfeatures!

What does the landing gear look like? How many bricks?

More pictures please! :D

The UCS set has a lot to live up to after this! I'd drop big bucks for a UCS this good. Are you listening LEGO?

4 hours ago, mortesv said:

Excellent work again Khaled! You must be a very busy man! ;)

A true feat of engineering and this time with playfeatures!

What does the landing gear look like? How many bricks?

Thanks a lot mortesv; I will be adding many more pictures of the bottom hull and interior details ASAP, I'm working on them as we speak.

1 hour ago, roadstermatt said:

if the much rumoured ucs Falcon is half as good as this it will be difficult not to buy it

49 minutes ago, Flandy said:

The UCS set has a lot to live up to after this! I'd drop big bucks for a UCS this good. Are you listening LEGO?

Thanks very much roadstermatt and Flandy; I'm sure the LEGO designers will make a much better looking ship from the outside, I'm not sure if they could beat my interior though :devil:

8 hours ago, Khaled Yousef said:

Thanks RogueRecon. I don't have 10179 but I'll try to Photoshop a comparison photo with both the UCS and the System sets to show how my model fits between those two.

Thanks man, also, what would you estimate the piece count being? 

This is wonderful! If I wasn't so close to being broke, I would definitely buy this model! The engine greebles in the rear are excellent, and the interior looks amazing! more photos please!

Amazing! I'd love to see some more pictures, like I think you mentioned the underside was detailed too which would be interesting to see. Either way excellent work!

5 hours ago, RogueRecon said:

Thanks man, also, what would you estimate the piece count being? 

Unfortunately, I don't use LDD, so I really can't give an accurate piece count. Maybe when I make the size comparison I can get a rough estimate, but we're talking about thousands of pieces, heavy Technic frame, double plated hull, interior deck and details, play features and tons of greebling, so it's quite dense.

3 hours ago, badgerboy said:

Brilliant. A really great interpretation.

Thanks man :-)

11 hours ago, mortesv said:

47 minutes ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

more photos please!

18 minutes ago, FishW said:

Amazing! I'd love to see some more pictures, like I think you mentioned the underside was detailed too which would be interesting to see.

Your wish is my command.

34100605753_8d546b9e82_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 5 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34100605803_f0a2a7dcd5_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 6 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34100605823_9d3f0f5717_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 7 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34100605843_7f622e245b_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 8 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34100605883_976ea5cabf_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 9 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

More pictures of the bottom hull coming up next, and more pictures of details and play features coming up after that.

Ok so now all the sudden, everyone is a Millennium Falcon master builder?! :D  This is incredible! So many new, original AND flawless designs! Excellent work on this one. Given how perfect it looks from the outside, the inclusion of easily accessible interior is something extraordinary. Just so much well done... phew.

On ‎26‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 10:54 PM, peedeejay said:

Fantastic build! The interior really adds a lot to an overall already amazing model!

Thanks, I wanted to build a Falcon I can "live" in, not just a display model. I knew fans would love the detailed interior as much as I do.

On ‎27‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 0:56 AM, krisandkris12 said:

Ok so now all the sudden, everyone is a Millennium Falcon master builder?! :D  This is incredible! So many new, original AND flawless designs! Excellent work on this one. Given how perfect it looks from the outside, the inclusion of easily accessible interior is something extraordinary. Just so much well done... phew.

So much nice complements from a brilliant designer. Your complements makes me happy :-) I'm glad you like the easy accessible interior; designing the removable top hull was really tough because I wanted it to look good closed AND opened, and keep it tough so it won't flip open every time I swoosh it around to escape from TIE Fighters.

3 hours ago, LEGORACER1 said:

Excellent build I'm not a huge fan of the falcon but it is amazing.

Yeah I know; the Falcon is just a space burger with a pickle on the side :laugh: not the most inspiring design of a space ship. I'm glad you liked my model despite all that.

2 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Looks good. It is refreshing to see the interior details. However, it needs to be about 40% larger.

Thanks, but you need to send me 40% more grey parts and increase my storage area at home by 40% and extend my free time by 40%, only then I can build the model to the standard you like :wink: But seriously, maybe the photos don't show how big this model is; it's huge, about 64 cm long (25 inches) or about 80 studs, you want it to be 112 studs long (90cm)? While this might seem to be the correct scale on paper it looks ridiculous in reality next to minifigs, because minifigs are not proportionate to human body, you need to compromise and put the "chibiness" and tubbiness of the minifig in mind to make a minifig-scale model that doesn't make minifigs look like dwarfs. I generally use a scale of 1:40 and then drop 20% off the overall measurements to compensate for minifig distorted proportions.

Now, as promised, the pictures of the bottom hull.

34927715975_ba9d5e380c_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 11 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

34927715945_81a1b9cc80_b.jpgLEGO Star Wars - Millennium Falcon 10 4K by Khaled Yousef, on Flickr

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I was a bit harsh and regretted my comment after posting. I can't argue with your approach.

The bottom is beautiful. I don't expect the official set to invest in the belly, and that is too bad as it adds a lot of challenge to the design/build.

P.S. I never finish my castles as I always make them too large.

Edited by Follows Closely
added link

This is very nice. I don't agree with your idea of "minifig scale" (the proportions of the minifigure will ensure there will never be a consensus of opinion) but that's not important because you've made a beautiful model regardless. The interior is very well done also.

This is seriously good. I only wish you'd taken some images with official-style lighting/setup and tricked a lot of people that this is what the new Falcon would be!

Also, very impressed that you've spent so much effort making the underside look nice.

11 hours ago, Follows Closely said:

Thank you for the thoughtful response. I was a bit harsh and regretted my comment after posting. I can't argue with your approach.

The bottom is beautiful. I don't expect the official set to invest in the belly, and that is too bad as it adds a lot of challenge to the design/build.

P.S. I never finish my castles as I always make them too large.

WHAT, no worries at all, criticism is always welcome in all shapes and forms, and I value your input.

... and WOW, this castle is HUGE!

5 hours ago, atlas said:

This is very nice. I don't agree with your idea of "minifig scale" (the proportions of the minifigure will ensure there will never be a consensus of opinion) but that's not important because you've made a beautiful model regardless. The interior is very well done also.

Thanks, and yeah, the minifigs have pretty damn weird proportions for anyone to be able to come up with a correct "minifig-scale".

3 hours ago, Commander Turtle said:

This is seriously good. I only wish you'd taken some images with official-style lighting/setup and tricked a lot of people that this is what the new Falcon would be!

Also, very impressed that you've spent so much effort making the underside look nice.

Thanks Commander Turtle, I thought about doing that, not because my model is that good but because people are anticipating the UCS so bad, but I didn't think people would buy it, even if I used all the professional photography and photoshop in the world. It would only provoke the mods on the pictures and rumors thread to ban me for spreading false rumors :laugh:

Ah, this is just great.  This is exactly the kind of Falcon that I'd like to own someday...it has the perfect mix of detail, size, and interior/playability.  I don't think I'd want to change a thing. 

Hopefully the upcoming UCS lends itself to being modified into something like this (even with 6k+ pieces, I think it's wishful thinking to expect much of an interior).  Anyway, great job.

On ‎30‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, Raskolnikov said:

Ah, this is just great.  This is exactly the kind of Falcon that I'd like to own someday...it has the perfect mix of detail, size, and interior/playability.  I don't think I'd want to change a thing. 

Hopefully the upcoming UCS lends itself to being modified into something like this (even with 6k+ pieces, I think it's wishful thinking to expect much of an interior).  Anyway, great job.

Thanks Raskolnikov, it's your turn now to build a better Falcon like your AWESOME Star Destroyer with interior too.

Wow! I think the scale on this one might be perfect for minifigs. I like the hallway design as well.

P.S. if you ever get around to making instructions for this build I'd pay good money for them...