Sign in to follow this  
Curtis

What set do you take on vacation?

Space is limited, but I'd obviously just re-bag everything into a ziplock and download the instructions onto my iPad. What set would you all recommend I take on a trip to mess with while my wife is reading novels on the beach?  Are there any sets that are better than others for say, alternative builds or mods within the set itself?  I'm open to all themes, even technic. 

Thanks!

Several years ago I took a couple of Prince of Persia Battle of Alamut on a cruise. It was a 15 day Hawaii cruise 5 days at sea to Hawaii, 5 days at sea on the way home. I wanted to use the colors in the set to make a MOC. I first built the set, then took it apart to use in a MOC. Since I was on a cruise I took the printed instructions. A long cruise with lots of at-sea days is perfect for LEGO. Oh yeah, we had a mini-suite accommodation so I had good build space and storage.

Here is a link to the post of what I built..

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Creator sets definitely! Also, build in a large, shallow plastic container to insure you don't lose parts. Happy building! :wink:

No sets at all...

Just pick some up at your holiday's local vendor; will be a great souvenir as well. :laugh:

What you should bring on your holiday depends partly on which themes interest you, partly on the time you have for building. Do you have 14 full days or an hour now and then?

If you are into Creator, I would definitely recommend one or more (depending on the size and space available) 3-in-1 sets for maximizing the options of building and inspiration. Once you have built the official models, you can mix the bricks and go MOC'ing.

Modulars and equally sized sets are also good time consumers. But be aware sets with fewer and bigger parts might not be that MOC-friendly.

On 26/5/2017 at 1:17 PM, -zenn said:

No sets at all...

Just pick some up at your holiday's local vendor; will be a great souvenir as well. :laugh:

I have tried this a couple of times. It brings the most fun and memories if you can find something to remind you of the trip. First time I bought a LEGO set as a souvenir, it was in Finland. I had never thought of buying 60059 Logging Truck, but after driving around in the forests it was the obvious choice. And I am glad I bought it.

I used to take my sigfig with me and take pictures of him visiting places. I suppose you can take any set that fits into your luggage.  You can build and disassemble it before coming back from vacation.

1 hour ago, xboxtravis7992 said:

I don't take sets with me to vacation. But I often take new sets back with me!

Seconded! I like to use vacation as an excuse to buy some new sets. I'm lucky that my vacations spot usually has some discount sets at Target.

Thank you all so much for the ideas!  I had no time to grab and go before the trip so I just quickly grabbed a mixture of what was recommended, and what I thought was trip appropriate.  The full 31037 (Creator Adventure Vehicles) set (in a ziplock bag, instructions on the iPad) + all the great white slopes and snot pieces from 31006 (Highway Speedster) and then a few key minifigs to create a storyline for my kids back home. Batman (in the Phantom Zone polybag 30522), Vacation Batman from the Batman movie CMF series, Hiker Guy from CMF series 16 and a Storm Trooper.  There are a few other minifigs I wish I would've thought to bring, lifeguard, surfer, etc. but oh well.

Here's the story so far  My (young) kids are loving it. A little bit each day and I think it's really helping with them missing us. My 4 year old thinks it's his LEGO Batman and "can't believe it" when he saw the first few pictures and wondered how his Batman got in my bag. HA!

ah...nope, I can't post even a single photo because I'm limited to 102.4kb

Funny how Lego has acknowledged that sets can travel.  This month's freebie with online orders is a minifigure travel set.  It is essentially a minifig with some travel accessories such as a camera, umbrella, and some other things.  It even comes with passport that can presumably be stamped if you bring it to Lego stores.