Edit: I completed the build. The 14th post in this thread has my comments on the build and how I re-colored some parts of the truck.

As many of you know, for years I have been bemoaning selling my 8258's. Well I finally figured out a way to build the truck!

I searched and searched for a good price (I was not going to pay $450 +) or someone to trade some stuff for an 8258, no luck!

A couple of weeks ago while fiddling around on BaseBrick I found that I have most of the parts to build it! Wow, I can build the Crane Truck!

I was only short a few parts (less than $20 on BrickLink), so off to get them... I now have all I need to build it, not all the absolute colors (a few different colors) but for me the 8258 is more about the build experience and the function. I am now pulling the parts from my collection of loose parts, tomorrow I build.

A question I have is the necessity of all the modifications recommended by Designer Han at: http://www.designer-han.nl/lego/original modifications.htm

There are 3 modifications he considers "critical"

There are 3 modifications he considers "for improved playability"

And 2 modifications for "looks"

I am considering (strongly) the 3 he considers "critical" and the 3 he considers "for improved playability" and I really don't care about the 2 for "looks"

iI am asking you to put your "way back hats" on and try to remember some of this stuff.

My question is... Which of these modifications would you do if you were interested more in function than form?

Thanks,

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I remember that i did all the modifications. My advice: Start out with the original version. Play a bit and then test theses improvements one after another. I guess you'll realize that all these are great modification. The instructions are great. You should also consider the twin wheel mod for the rear axles.

And the you will think about the width of the mud guards and the cabin and if it is possible to make it RC....

It is a great set for tinkering.

Thise is how far i went back then: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=498441

Edited by TinkerBrick

I do remember there was a tremendous amount of stress (the full torque of the XL motor) put onto a single 12t single bevel gear and it was before the gearbox so it was used to drive every function.

I've also only recently acquired 8258 (I came out of my dark age around this time last year) and I've debated with that as well. I pondered whether or not to build the original set first and then aply the mods by Designer-Han, but ended up incorporating them as the build progressed.

Like you, I've only applied the 3 critical and the 3 improved playability mods, but there are also some other things I will improve, like steering on the rear axle, double wheels on the 3rd axle, opening doors, rear mudguards, increasing the crane lenght, possibly andding a rear gargo bed, etc.

Overall it's a great set and a great building experience, I've learnt a lot! (and loved waking up early and building at sunrise before setting off to university)

Edited by jotta93

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will apply the 3 critical and 3 improved playability as I build and skip the others. My real interest in this set are the functions and how the gearbox is put together.

i checked on the sticker sheet, and I find them available for $45 to $59... I will not be getting the stickers!

i have all my parts pulled, I will start to build tomorrow 5/26/17... let's see how long it takes.

i will post updates to this thread.

@jotta93 Did you get a new set? How much?

Andy D

40 minutes ago, jotta93 said:

I bought a used set, you can usually find good deals at ebay.de :classic:

It builds just as well! 

11 minutes ago, Andy D said:

It builds just as well! 

I totally agree :classic: It's the only way to get the older sets from my dark age without spending ludicrous amounts of money!

I forgot, one part I do to have and I refuse to pay $15 for one part. The Hook! I will make a brick-built hook. I'm more interested in the functions than an accurate hook (I will never hook anything anyway).

Andy D

Hm, I'm only missing 7 13tooth gear racks ... (and hook, yes) Why it needs so much! 

21 hours ago, Andy D said:

Thanks for the replies. Maybe I will apply the 3 critical and 3 improved playability as I build and skip the others. My real interest in this set are the functions and how the gearbox is put together.

i checked on the sticker sheet, and I find them available for $45 to $59... I will not be getting the stickers!

i have all my parts pulled, I will start to build tomorrow 5/26/17... let's see how long it takes.

i will post updates to this thread.

@jotta93 Did you get a new set? How much?

Andy D

FYI, if you are not a purist, you can get the Chinese stickers from ebay for pretty cheap.  I bought a set and if you take your time to cut them out, they look almost better than the originals!

21 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

One for each steering axle = 2

One for each outrigger = 4

One for the final crane section = 1

Total 7

I think the original question was not why are there so many gear racks, but why is the hook so expensive.

I guess the hook is so expensive because it was used on sets that were not in large supply, so not many of the hooks available. 

I have a question about the modifications by Designer-Han...

I am on page 40 now. I have been reading the "Critical Modifications". I can understand Modification #3 "Prevent ‘walking axles’ for each 12th tooth bevel gear within each PF-LA bracket" but I don't understand what "Critical" need Modification #1 "Add 24th tooth clutch-gear on 1st crane arm section" and Modification #2 "Relocation of the 24th tooth clutch-gear of the 2nd crane arm section" resolves.

Andy D

I recently completed my 8258 Crane Truck from POH (Parts On Hand). I only bought parts I did not have, and sometimes that meant I needed to change some colors as I did not have all the panels in all the colors called out for the model. I tried to integrate the different colors to make it look like it could be just an alternate build, not a rainbow.

I first examined my inventory via BaseBrick to determine what I had and the I needed to order.  The only thing I did not have that I did not order was the hook as it was listed for $16 and up on USA sellers on Bricklink, I decided then that I would just build a hook. All-in-all I spent about $20 for parts I did not have. Pretty good to be able to build the Crane Truck.

I then pulled my parts and organized them, much as I would if I had the actual set. I waited for the parts from Bricklink to arrive and then started to build. I took me about 13 hours over  7 days to complete. Maybe a little longer than some would take but I took time to study a number of sub-builds and the gear box and distribution up the crane. Hopefully this will help me to learn more for MOC’s.

During the build and after completion I studied the model and formulated some opinions.

1. This is a really nice model, I am glad I took the time to build it. (Again!)
  2. The gearbox is great in how it works and distributes all the mechanical functions.
  3. The crane arm is fantastic! It reminds me of the arms used in robotic construction and as such it could be used as a basis for an arm in a MOC.
  4. The outriggers use quite a few parts. Not as many as the 42009 but seems like more than the 42043.
  5. The model appears quite fragile, not like some of the newer large models. It seems the the 42009 and 42043 are both more sturdy than the 8258. Maybe with the addition of 300-400 parts in the right locations the model could be more sturdy (this is beyond my design capabilities).
  6. Sometimes some of the functions don’t work quite right, particularly when they reach the their limits. An example is that when either the lower boom or upper boom reaches the limit, it sometimes causes the crane to try to rotate, which is understandable considering how the mechanical power is distributed through the turntable. It is very clever, but maybe could be designed differently.
  7. I really don’t like the fact that you need to reverse the motor to reverse a function. I much prefer the new way of reversing functions by putting the function selector in the opposite position to reverse, much like the 42042  Crawler Crane, 42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator and the 42054 CLAAS . But this is the way the 8258 was designed in 2009.

Excluding the quibbles in items 5, 6 and 7, this is still a fun model and I would do it again. When I disassemble this model I will most likely store it as a set so when I decide I want to build it again I will not have to hunt for parts in my POH.

During the build I applied Designer-Han’s modification number 3 to the PF-LA brackets. I really could not see what the other modifications would help, so I did not use them.

My favorite parts of the model are the gearbox and crane arm

Overall I would give the model a 9/10 (an A letter grade) for a 2009 set and a 8/10 (a B letter grade) compared to 2013 to 2016 released sets (particularly the 42009, 42043 and 42054).

Here are a couple of photos:

The Front View

34995554812_79fd0b0232_c.jpgCrane Truck, Front by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

And the side view.

34315620304_04dc1137c7_c.jpgCrane Truck side view by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

From the photos you can see how I changed the colors. I tried to substitute colors where it made sense. I replaced the cab top with all black (because I was missing the red side panels) , and the crane arm with black for most of the the yellow beams and red panels for yellow ones. The yellow beams on the third section of the area were replaced with red because half of the arm was already black and I thought red would look better there. Also the red panels on the cab back and covering the controls were replaced with black, because I did not have the red rectangular panels.

Also notice that instead of an expensive hook I just used the hook from the 42009… I think it looks OK, particularly since I don’t plan to hook anything anyway.

I hope you find my Crane Truck pleasing to view.

Andy D

I think it looks pretty good, I really like the colour scheme. I especially love the crane. Good job! :sweet:

Regarding the point 7) about the gearbox -

This kind of gearbox with electric switch to select rotation direction is in my opinion better for such model, because the main play feature of it is to push it around on carpet, occasionally stopping to play with crane. Because the motor runs only when actually engaged, you save batteries. On the other hand, play value of BWE without motor switched on is very limited.

Otherwise very nice writeup, I'm periodically checking rebrickable if I already have all the parts for this truck and I'm getting close, I miss no more than 10 parts, some of them crucial tho.

9 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

Regarding the point 7) about the gearbox -

This kind of gearbox with electric switch to select rotation direction is in my opinion better for such model, because the main play feature of it is to push it around on carpet, occasionally stopping to play with crane. Because the motor runs only when actually engaged, you save batteries. On the other hand, play value of BWE without motor switched on is very limited.

Otherwise very nice writeup, I'm periodically checking rebrickable if I already have all the parts for this truck and I'm getting close, I miss no more than 10 parts, some of them crucial tho.

@jotta93@TechnicRCRacer, @Ivan_M, Thanks for your comments, I am glad the write-up was enjoyed (this is why I did it).

I highly recommend that you find the missing parts and build this set. It is a fun build and the functions are enjoyable (despite my minor quibbles).

As for switched direction of functions vs battery switching, well we all have our preferences and I find it much easier and more intuitive to reverse a mechanical function than to remember to switch the power. 

Despite my minor quibbles I recommend anyone who likes this set to try to find a way get the parts (or set) and build it. It is a fun build (which is why I like LEGO).  

I build and enjoy the complex functions of Technic, then disassemble to build another day. I have many, many more sets disassembled than assembled, waiting to be built another day.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I'm really pleased that you've been able to build this set, I know you've waited a very long time to do so.

It's a great set, one of the very best in my opinion, and one I enjoyed building very much. I think yours looks really good in it's new colour scheme.

18 minutes ago, grum64 said:

I'm really pleased that you've been able to build this set, I know you've waited a very long time to do so.

It's a great set, one of the very best in my opinion, and one I enjoyed building very much. I think yours looks really good in it's new colour scheme.

Thanks @grum64 that means a lot to me. I had a great time building and you are correct, I waited a long time to collect all the parts.

Andy D