Digger of Bricks

Is the Thomas the Tank Engine Licence Viable or Possible for Lego Currently?

32 posts in this topic

Hey, guys.

Just now saw this thread and realized that someone mentioned my model of Thomas:

28445994806_57a20df23d_z.jpgThomas by ScotNick1, on Flickr

There was a time when I thought it would be great if Lego produced Thomas, but now I think there just isn't enough demand for it. There is a good number of other Thomas' out there as well (and even other characters). Best thing I can suggest anyone is building your own version as I don|t expect Lego to offer Thomas anytime soon. 

Here are some other good versions by various builders:

34270482254_f1a590bb84_z.jpgLEGO RWS Thomas UPDATE by WideSquareFilms, on Flickr

14593582595_8f0675e1e9_z.jpgThomas by Andrew Walker, on Flickr

830258033_99bfdc821f_z.jpg?zz=1Thomas the Tank Engine by Ben Rogers, on Flickr

16100908529_ddeb8325ea_z.jpgLego Thomas the Tank Engine by JD Graham, on Flickr

Also there's Ryan, who built an entire Sodor Layout with many characters from the TV-series:

Thomas

If anyone is interested in more Thomas related creations take a look at this flickr group of which I'm the admin.

Hey @ScotNick! Wow, I didn't know you were here on Eurobricks! Your Thomas tank engine is the best, but yes, some of those other creations by other are pretty good also. :thumbup: :sweet:

Now I have not seen that Sodor layout by Ryan before, that is quite something! *oh2* :excited:

Hey @ScotNick! I was just looking at your expired Ideas project, which is a most excellent model that did have some good headway as far as support goes. Would you ever again consider submitting another project? Particularly, I really think your model of the LBSCR E2 tank engine (Thomas's locomotive inspiration) may be successful on Ideas. 

15797973296_3daaf3fef8_b.jpg

On 6/25/2017 at 6:09 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Hey @ScotNick! I was just looking at your expired Ideas project, which is a most excellent model that did have some good headway as far as support goes. Would you ever again consider submitting another project? Particularly, I really think your model of the LBSCR E2 tank engine (Thomas's locomotive inspiration) may be successful on Ideas. 
15797973296_3daaf3fef8_z.jpg

Thanks for your comment!
Well originally I did want to put my 1400 model Lego Ideas again, but really I do think that trains are a niche market, especially with being so different in every country meaning there isn't really a globally appealing engine which has a big market (especially steam engines don't have it easy in that case being even more diverse in the different countries - sleek and colourful in the UK, huge and black in the US, black with red drivers and chassis in Germany, I could go on and on...).

So well, Thomas the Tank engine would actually be globally appealing, but mostly for kids which are too young for a good RC train. I was astonished that my GWR 1400 model made it that far on Lego Ideas without any blog or heritage railway posting about it.
Another problem is that Lego doesn't want you to use 3rd party parts which I actually used on my model (Big Ben Bricks wheels and a cut in half beam). In any case I'd probably opt to build the model in real before I'd put it up on Lego ideas.
From the experience I made (which wasn't very much though) I'd need to put more time into a new Ideas project than I actually have.
Also for the GWR model I had a concept to power it - which is something very important with Lego trains (and trains in general). I don't have any concept here though :sceptic:

I'm sorry to say that, but after considering all these arguments I had refrained from making another Ideas project, that's the sad truth :hmpf_bad: I wonder what you think of this though?!

Cheers,
Nick

20 hours ago, ScotNick said:

Thanks for your comment!
Well originally I did want to put my 1400 model Lego Ideas again, but really I do think that trains are a niche market, especially with being so different in every country meaning there isn't really a globally appealing engine which has a big market (especially steam engines don't have it easy in that case being even more diverse in the different countries - sleek and colourful in the UK, huge and black in the US, black with red drivers and chassis in Germany, I could go on and on...).

So well, Thomas the Tank engine would actually be globally appealing, but mostly for kids which are too young for a good RC train. I was astonished that my GWR 1400 model made it that far on Lego Ideas without any blog or heritage railway posting about it.
Another problem is that Lego doesn't want you to use 3rd party parts which I actually used on my model (Big Ben Bricks wheels and a cut in half beam). In any case I'd probably opt to build the model in real before I'd put it up on Lego ideas.
From the experience I made (which wasn't very much though) I'd need to put more time into a new Ideas project than I actually have.
Also for the GWR model I had a concept to power it - which is something very important with Lego trains (and trains in general). I don't have any concept here though :sceptic:

I'm sorry to say that, but after considering all these arguments I had refrained from making another Ideas project, that's the sad truth :hmpf_bad: I wonder what you think of this though?!

Cheers,
Nick

That's what I had figured regarding Thomas's popularity helping such a train project towards success; but since the franchise is owned by Mattel, I figured a project based upon Thomas's original tank engine inspiration would be a good alternative. The only other licensed train project that hypothetically could be successful based on this premise may be an Expert scale Hogwarts Express project, I think at least.

But as far as train projects not having as much success on Ideas, there is recently this one particular project by Creator_HUN posted June 27 that has already gathered 1300+ supporters.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/88b93624-a97e-4a64-93e4-097584bd1278

Now I didn't even realize that your creation utilized third party parts, so that really does count that particular MOC as out of the question unfortunately. :sceptic: