A German computer magazine in cooperation with the General German Automobile Club subjected the 42056 to a real life crash test (EURO-NCAP).

If I get it correctly, the Porsche speed was 46 km/h. This in 1:8 scale would approximately yield to 368 km/h at 1:1 scale(?). I can just say that Lego bricks hold it good.

Exactly. Also would be interesting to know, if actually any of the pieces got injured: cracked, broken (sure the direct confronted ones were scratched). Most of them seems only disconnected. We know such act is most probably leathal for humans, but not in case of LEGO. :tongue:

1ee0970c2841fef0ebfe2c465bfaf966.jpg

3 hours ago, Woodstock89 said:

According to this article, only a few elements broke (a part of the front wheel suspension being amongst them).

And if this had been designed better, with reinforced A-arms, this might have been avoided...

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted picture from two posts back.

Is it bad that a part of me just died watching this. I don't even allow my bricks to come into contact with direct sunlight for fear of permanent damage!

Now if I were on another forum I would make a Paul Walker joke, but I digress.

44 minutes ago, Woodstock89 said:

Further details on this fun test can be found here (in German language, though): https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/c-t-beim-ADAC-Der-Lego-Porsche-Fun-Test-und-wummms-3706254.html

According to this article, only a few elements broke (a part of the front wheel suspension being amongst them).

Even just based off that image, that's not the only damage. Look at the shape of the pinholes on the I beam, and also the stress marks in the beams on the other side of the car. The poor thing

IMG_6492-6a853fd3a9e19443.JPG

It has just occurred to me I have never seen seat-belts incorporated into a set before, either official or MOC!

Edited by JTS
Found a photo of seatbelts

Just seen the video ... I do this as part of my job :) I couldn't find if they'd scaled the speed ?

Great little video though

1 hour ago, JTS said:

Is it bad that a part of me just died watching this. I don't even allow my bricks to come into contact with direct sunlight for fear of permanent damage!

Now if I were on another forum I would make a Paul Walker joke, but I digress.

1) one of my steering hubs bent from sunlight, so I try not to let that happen.

2) is it a good onel? If so it would maybe lighten the mood.

@seasider: if they would scale down the speed, this would mean that from 46 km/h goes to 5.75 km/h, which is 1,6 m/s. However, this speed can be achieved by fall of 13 cm (if my math is correct). And I don't think that a drop from 13 cm would cause any brick to break (as shown in video). Therefore I think that they test at 46 km/h, which is 368 km/h at life scale.

Just read the article, they did the test with 46 km/h - it is also written in the video description. So yes, this test was pushed to the extreme = top speed frontal accident.

In the front axle picture I can see some more dents on the dogbone, and injured 1-1/2 pins (tan in the bottom), but all in all I guess the damage cost is microscopic compared to a real Porsche in a real test. :classic:Even if we scale the damage itself... :tongue: 

From this perspective, I can say, it is pretty impressive how well the 42056 held up. A lot of energy was absorbed by disconnection of the parts, I wonder if a scaled impact at 5,75 km/h would really make any major issue... somebody would like to give a try? :sweet:

*oh2* Why?! What a sad thing to do... Impressive crash, but still. WHY?! I can't even afford this set and they just broke it like that!

Kinda like the Drop-Test of the UCS Millennium Falcon...

There would only a sense when they would test a lepin porsche too and compare  the crashs.

Without this is only rubbish.

LEGO = play well.   To each their own.  For some, building = playing.  Others, buying and investing LEGO = playing.  To others still.....building, then crashing while filming LEGO = playing.  To try and define "playing" for others is likely a fruitless endeavor.  Logic and "play" are fairly incompatible bunk mates.

Cool test, that bugatti is ripped in half quite easily.

Id like to see how the porsche stands up if the test is the other way around, the bugatti is heavier, so would carry more kinetic energy, and the porsche has less mass to absorb it with.

3 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Cool test, that bugatti is ripped in half quite easily.

So the front and rear sections couldn't make their marriage work and got a divorce?

A more serious point: At first I find those crashes of LEGO sets a bit pointless, but then I wondered if ADAC uses these tests to validate their simulation software? In other words, they model all the parts with their material properties and degrees of freedom then simulate the crash (as shown in the video) and finally compare the results of the virtual crash to those of the real crash. So the simulation software might get better at predicting crashes of cars, toys and real ones.

EDIT: I took some time to read this article about the crash and if i understand the google generated translation correctly, it was indeed one of the goals to see how accurate they could simulate a crash between two vehicles made with unfamiliar materials and structures. It appears that they got pretty close, take a look at the following comparison between an image of the real crash (left) and the simulation (right):

Lego_4-2b847dd863ea75eb.jpeg

Edited by Cumulonimbus

After seeing the simulations, I got the same feeling as @Cumulonimbus. First, these videos sound really harsh, but actually helps a lot for bringing crash tests into digital platform. Imagine, there will be no need to destroy real production cars / planes / anything, and countless tests can be done.

Or at least not as many of them.

It being about modelling also explains C'T's involvement - it's a computer magazine.