My son celebrates his 9th soon, and technic sets are starting to catch his eye. He's bright, but could anyone recommend a good starter set? He likes planes, and I've seen a set he might like, but you'll know better than me. My last technic build was decades back!

Just now, ExcelsiorUK said:

My son celebrates his 9th soon, and technic sets are starting to catch his eye. He's bright, but could anyone recommend a good starter set? He likes planes, and I've seen a set he might like, but you'll know better than me. My last technic build was decades back!

My recommendation review..

I would recommend the 9394 jet, the building process was enjoyable, and simple functions that work well. The landing gear work great, very easy to use, and it rolls pretty well on the ground. The cockpit opens using a simple worm gear like the landing wheels, and it opens very linearly. The side wings are on a work gear also to keep the wings from moving while swooshing. The final function is a lever in the cockpit, that moves the rear wing up and down, and they move 45 degrees. The jet complete is very light and swooshable, with a very good price / functions value ($50).

My verdict: buy it, for the playability. It is pure fun.

I agree with @Aventador2004, the play element once built is much more important to kids than it is to us. 

I recommend getting one of the sets that contain two or more small vehicles - like 42023 or 42062 (no planes, sorry...) - rather than a big, expensive display model. The larger sets have build times that run into 10+ hours and I have a feeling at age 9 he may get bored very quickly. 

Edited by JTS
Incorrect set number

Just now, JTS said:

I agree with @Aventador2004, the play element once built is much more important to kids than it is to us. 

I recommend getting one of the sets that contain two or more small vehicles - like 42023 or 42062 (no planes, sorry...) - rather than a big, expensive display model. The larger sets have build times that run into 10+ hours and I have a feeling at age 9 he may get bored very quickly. 

That's why I wouldn't recommend a claas to a kid. The 9+ hours would be boring to them. That is why I said the 9394 jet. 1+ hours of good building, and much functionality.

Edited by Aventador2004

I always loved the Lego Technic 42025 Cargo Plane, It has a motor, loads of nice functions, lots of useful parts + it's big and that makes it more awesome to to kids.build time for an experienced builder is about 3.5 hours, the second model you can build with it is a hovercraft.

There's a so a new air race jet (42066) also motorized and nice functions and parts, build time for an experienced builder is 2.40 hours. The second model you can build is also an aircraft:wink:

maybe a budget range would be helpful to help you decide, and weather or not you're hellbent on a NEW set or not.
As a kid I always used to ask for a larger second hand set in the "birthday" price range. There's LOADS of adults who buy a set, build "the puzzle" once and then sell it again, often with a box in mint condition and un-damaged (since they mostly don't really play with it).

42023 would definitely be the best set you could ever start with, I have it and it's just such a great set - easy to build and fun to play with.

Edited by mocbuild101

As a starter I'd recommend the smaller pullback sets. They're pretty cheap, have their own look/function and the 2 sets of each year can be combined into a slightly bigger vehicle. My son had his first ones when he was 7, he's still not really into the Technic theme but enjoyed building those and playing with them. This year's pullbacks even have a ramp that can add to the play experience. 

7 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

That's why I wouldn't recommend a claas to a kid. The 9+ hours would be boring to them. 

9+ hours? I built it in 5, but I suppose if you're just starting out. 

https://brickset.com/sets/42057-1/Ultralight-Helicopter, definitely a good starter for an airplane fan. :wink:

42057-1.jpg?201611101158

also this one: https://brickset.com/sets/42061-1/Telehandler

42061-1.jpg?201611300919

https://brickset.com/sets/42048-1/Race-Kart

42048-1.jpg?201601050913

https://brickset.com/sets/42032-1/Compact-Tracked-Loader

42032-1.jpg?201410010854

All of these sets have printed instructions for B-models, very playable, easy to build yet very rewarding, and also can be find around for cheap.

I do believe, daddy will enjoy the builds and play as much, as the son. I did. :wink:

I agree with Aventador 2004 the 9394 set is a good start, it is a plane and it is easy to build, perfect for an approach to the Technic.

In my opinion, the differences between small sets are not that large. Anything goes. But start small, because then you can surprise him multiple times with incremetnially bigger sets. If you go big now, you've basically spoilt it in one go.

Also, why not just go to a toy shop and let him choose for hi self sithin a specified budget (thaf you give him in cash)? That way he learns to make his own choices and their consequences (if his chosen set disappoints), and learn to work with money - what he doesn't spend he can save for another time.

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

I agree with Aventador 2004 the 9394 set is a good start, it is a plane and it is easy to build, perfect for an approach to the Technic.

9394 is a good set, but it does take a while to build (especially for new builders), smaller set arre quicker to complete.

41 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

In my opinion, the differences between small sets are not that large. Anything goes. But start small, because then you can surprise him multiple times with incremetnially bigger sets. If you go big now, you've basically spoilt it in one go.

Also, why not just go to a toy shop and let him choose for hi self sithin a specified budget (thaf you give him in cash)? That way he learns to make his own choices and their consequences (if his chosen set disappoints), and learn to work with money - what he doesn't spend he can save for another time.

I agree, by the way - where do I know your name from?

5 hours ago, Myers Lego Technic said:

9+ hours? I built it in 5, but I suppose if you're just starting out. 

Yes, it might even take more for a kid.

That's great feedback, thanks. The problem with taking him into a store is that he'll get distracted - if it's a present at least he'll feel obliged to try it and we'll see how that goes. I'll have a look at what's current from the above, there's a good range across the local stores but I'm in the UK so I don't know if our range will be identical. Thank you for all your replies, I'll let you know!

17 minutes ago, ExcelsiorUK said:

That's great feedback, thanks. The problem with taking him into a store is that he'll get distracted...

Anytime. 

I can understand that he will be distracted, but isn't there a simple solution. Just present him (in the store) with two of the smallest Technic sets and let him decide which one he likes best. I'm sure the smaller sets from 2016 and 2017 will be available. Possibly even sets from 2015.

Among the small sets, the Go Kart is by far the best in my opinion, especially for someone just getting into technic.  In fact it is one of the best sets of this size that I can remember over the last 30 years.

42048-1.jpg?201601050913

Edited by aeh5040

I'm not a youngster, but am only now starting to use various Technic pieces while attempting to make a rubberband motor from a YouTube video. I'd suggest buying some conical gears, long cross axles with end stops, long Technic beams, fork, gears, etc. from Bricks & Pieces and learning how to transfer horizontal motion to vertical motion, etc. A few nice examples are in the Lone Ranger Constitution train's gatling gun and the winter holiday train's rotating xmas tree.

To me, this type of engineering motion is more fun than just building a model for display.

The Technic car model with working steering wheel is nice to teach parallel parking.

Construction crew would be nice set to play with later. Maybe it won't be so esay to buy ir yet. It wont be in some store, Ypu will have to use beicklink or ether similar.

From 2017 sets

42060: Roadwork Crew

or

42062: Container Yard

or even

42065: RC Tracked Racer for real fun

At 8 years my son built https://brickset.com/sets/42029-1/Customised-Pick-Up-Truck with some very little corrections from my side. So maybe it is also better, that You as a father can help him at some places, so that You make some time together.

10 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

Among the small sets, the Go Kart is by far the best in my opinion, especially for someone just getting into technic.  In fact it is one of the best sets of this size that I can remember over the last 30 years.

The Go Kart is indeed a fine option as well. A big bigger than the smallest sets and it has some interesting functions. I second this option.

I'd say 9394 jet too. It's discontinued now, but in the UK on "Online auction sites" they are dirt cheap 2nd hand.

10 hours ago, Burko-uk said:

I'd say 9394 jet too. It's discontinued now, but in the UK on "Online auction sites" they are dirt cheap 2nd hand.

Definitely. Great set!

On 5/21/2017 at 7:50 PM, ExcelsiorUK said:

That's great feedback, thanks. The problem with taking him into a store is that he'll get distracted - if it's a present at least he'll feel obliged to try it and we'll see how that goes. I'll have a look at what's current from the above, there's a good range across the local stores but I'm in the UK so I don't know if our range will be identical. Thank you for all your replies, I'll let you know!

You'll be lucky to find a shop with any Technic, let alone a choice.  Best for you to choose the first one and then see how you go from there. 

Next step could be to look at the books by Yoshihito Isogawa https://www.nostarch.com/technic_set.htm, available individually, and a box of second-hand technic bits.