10 minutes ago, Hay Ewe said:

Everybody is entitled to his own opinion, but perhaps not a good idea to continue this discussion here, even more so since @agrof asked you to discuss this in the Purism topic.

I think the problem with the frame right now is that the cool-looking side panels actually do nothing to add strength. They only have three connection points each (front, middle, rear), so all they can do is keep those three points in the same relative plane or line. For this to work, the center part with the 5x11 frames shouldn't be able to move vertically relative to the sides. So you need a center joint that is vertically rigid. You don't have that if you use rubber connectors. This means that the middle frame can just bend without the side frames doing anything to prevent that. So yeah, it looks cool, but I don't expect it to be very strong...

But I may be proven wrong, I don't have 4 of those pieces to test it out. I'm just theorizing :)

Me too, parts are ordered, in two weeks we will know more. :classic:

I neither feel it very strong, but strong enough. The final stability will be increased by connecting the axles, and I have free connection points to add structural parts to the bottom. For sure a lot things will be changed, as there are some modules left to be added. I try too keep the look as clean as just possible, and keep the "kit-racer" feeling, even if I need to sacrifice some strength.

Here is the engine, I would like to implement... nice task to get it into LDD, if at all:

1280x738.jpg

1280x644.jpg

Edited by agrof
added pictures

No matter what, this is going to look awesome, no doubt about it!

No matter how it's built you do it your way! I'm just excited to see the outcome and what you come up with, definitely a cool interesting build :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind girls words! :grin:

The recipe:

• take an engine with the latest MotoGP technology  (~250 HP),
  • add a bit more torque according taste,
  • mount it into a chassis, which weights max 400 kgs,
  • fire it up,
  • bag for your life. :pir-skel:

1280x622.jpg

1280x614.jpg

I can not fix the flex tubes properly, so I will leave them as they are in LDD. This is the temporary place of the engine, but I guess I will find a way to fix it, goal is to make it easy to connect and disconnect.

EDIT: I figured out a better fitting code name, which refers well to the puritan build: project C.O.R.E. aka Concept Of Radical Engineering or Concept Of Ride Essence.

Edited by agrof
renaming the project

I made some thinkering on the engine design. Probably I will build each, and check in real life which one is more appealing. I lean to the brick built one (left), as it has more realistic ram-air intakes.

1280x605.jpg

or maybe this color scheme, with black engine frames.1280x584.jpg

Small progress, I made a sandwich bottom for the monocoque, and also revised / added connections for better rigidity. It was tricky to find a buildable way, but there it is. The axles are also updated, now the toothbars are secured in each directions.

HERE is the updated LDD file (V1.2), as I rebuilt it, there is no flying parts around any more. There is still a lot to do and redo, I am really curious how much flex remains in the final solution...

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Some parts are arrived, little progress happened. Well, as assumed in this phase (and probably will be the situation later too) it is quite flexy, but not that much, as I thought. It seems, that for the Bison I sucked out all of my portion for 2017 of "Holy LEGO Rigidity" from the Universe, and that much left...

1280x652.jpg

Actually it can not fall apart as I shake, even can handle the weight of a FJ40. :classic:

1280x642.jpg

I will see what can be done for more stiffness, but it looks so sexy, I wouldn't like to ruin the look much. At the end of the day, if it can be pushed here and there without falling apart, than I will be satisfied.

Another batch of parts landed, I could finish the axles, which turned out pretty well. Buildable, stiff enough, steering and suspension (strength and height) work as planned.

If I press it in the middle, the axles go with, despite the very loose connection (as it is now). I have ideas how to reinforce, for that the middle bottom section will be rebuilt... couple of times for sure. :wink:

Less good news: my back hurts. More sport, and less legoing is planned, so the project timing will be stretched for n/a.

1280x630.jpg

Structure is reinforced, I have some questionmarks yet, if the drivetrain can be implemented as I would like to: gears of the differential vs reinforcement beams. The side frames are still not very stiff (I can live with it though, acceptable sacrifice for look), but no issue with the bottom assembly - wherever I push, it is solid enough,

Currently on off-road settings with my buggy's wheels, engine is in temporary position.

EDIT: found a way to eliminite the possible collision (mentioned above), LLD file is updated: V1.3 is here.

1280x575.jpg

1280x562.jpg

Edited by agrof