Sign in to follow this  
timecorridor

Wanted - A Walking Stick

I hope this doesn't break any rules etc how ever I am unable to post in the Bizzare section just yet.

How ever can any one help me as I'm trying to find a Walking Stick for a custom minifig I am currently putting together. My trouble is I cant find one any where so any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks 

@timecorridor

If you're asking what can be used for a walking stick, LEGO uses a 3L bar which you can obtain through BrickLink. Alternatively, if you don't mind going non-purist and are willing to cut off the end, you could go with BrickForge's shepherd's crook.

If you're asking if any EB member can sell you a suitable part, the answer is that they shouldn't. I'm not a mod, but my guess is that the rule about not being able to post in the bazaar does not exist to encourage you to post your WLTB messages elsewhere on the EB boards. 

Many thanks for your reply.

The 3L bar isn't really suitable as its only really just a stick and not what I would consider to be a " Walking stick " how ever I have seen the Shepard's Crook and yes I would be fine with cutting one down to size just one thing though I am unsure if my minifig would be able to grasp the round bit like you would a normal sized walking stick would it be to big for his hands ? 

Oh well I guess its worth a go lol 

One thing that does amaze me though it the fact that out of all the extra things you can get ( including crutches ) that no one does a simple walking stick to scale ! Lol 

Thanks for the reply 

Many thanks Slegengr for the advice regarding the lengths etc how ever if I don't go for the Shepard's Crook the 6 stud would be the next best thing ( cut down ) as it has a nice pummel at the end although this would make it more of a swagger stick rather than a walking stick.

What I'm really looking for is a Charlie Chaplin style stick and for a non Lego collector I'm amazed that I cant find one ! Lol How ever the crazy thing is Fire star toys sell a custom Charlie Chaplin minifig and has a straight stick in place of his iconic walking stick/cane.

May be its just me being awkward ? Lol but surely I can't be alone in thinking this ? May be its just the size of the molding is the problem ? I just don't know I mean if Lego can produce for a example a Light Saber handle ( size wise ) why can't they or anyone else produce a Walking Stick with a rounded handle ? 

17 hours ago, timecorridor said:

May be its just me being awkward ? Lol but surely I can't be alone in thinking this ? May be its just the size of the molding is the problem ? I just don't know I mean if Lego can produce for a example a Light Saber handle ( size wise ) why can't they or anyone else produce a Walking Stick with a rounded handle ? 

LEGO make the umbrella pictured below. There are very few accessories like it with a curved handle. The reason is the shape of a minifigure's hand. If the handle were tightly curved (like the umbrella's) but the bar were uniform diameter (unlike the umbrella that has a tapering handle), the end of the handle would protrude between the 'fingers' of a minifigure's hand forcing it open slightly and stressing the plastic which could break the hand.   

27150.png

You might be surprised by the accessories that have never been made either by LEGO or a third party. As far as I know, there's no candle for example. LEGO uses a white cylinder brick (pictured immediately below) but that's disproportionately large even for a system that  often ignores scale. I prefer to use the string pictured, cutting it so that the grips are candles and the string, wicks.  

3062b.png 

63141.png

Pictures of umbrella, round brick and string c/o BrickLink. 

Edited by AmperZand
Picture attribution.

Thanks for the extra information AmplerZand that to me makes more sense than not having a walking stick lol 

The one thing I just couldn't understand was why can you get Crutches and a Shepard's Crook but not a simple walking stick 

Oh well back to the drawing board lol 

I might just end up finding the right sized " Spru " ( if that's spelt right lol ) from a model kit and see if I can heat it and bend it into the shape that I want then just paint it. I've done something like this before and I know it worked well then so I can't see why this wouldn't ? Its just finding the right sized " Spru " lol 

On 2017-5-31 at 10:43 AM, badgerboy said:

Cut off the (straight) tapered end of a crowbar?

Cut a section out of a barrier?

Carefully cut an end from this newish bar piece?

Don't know if any of that will work though.

Ahhhh now that's a good idea lol By the looks of things the barrier would probably work best 

Thanks very much 

Just to give all you kind users who's given me advice a update I swiped one of my nephews Star Wars blasters and trimmed off all the sticky out bits so I was left with just the barrel and handle. From the front it does look like a walking stick ( if you squint your eyes and may be wear dark glasses lol ) how ever my minifig does hold it like a stick which although not 100% happy it will do for the time being :) 

Many thanks once again for the advice :-) 

I can't believe that it's been a year and a half since I posted this how ever in the last year and a half I have found a nearly perfect walking stick YAY ! Lol 

And I just thought I would share my findings just in case anyone else is in the same boat.

In series 18 minifigs there is 2 birthday figures Girl and Boy they could be called Balloon Girl/Boy not sure how ever the stick they use to keep the balloon up is perfect size once trimmed as a walking stick. You will of course have to paint it brown lol how ever it fits nicely in a hand.

Any way I hope this is help to someone else :)