Capn Frank

[OL-CH5E] The Pyramid Tale

In a remote tavern, the paths of two adventurers crossed.  An Oleon adventurer who sat with a Mardier officer who seems to be the only one to listen to his tall tale adventure.

33742008894_a969e81d2f_b.jpg

So there I be, heading due west in search of adventure, treasure, and the great western continent.  We weren't able to maintain our heading due to some strong westerlies- Hey! did you pay yet to hear this tale?
The Mardier not wanting to draw attention to himself, begrudgingly paid the man. 
Our intent was to find the continent on southern latitude.  However, we were progressing slowly with the wind against us, and we had to steer from our anticipated course.  We were not certain what longitude we were at, and the suspicious crew figure we sailed past the continent.  Finding more favorable winds, we sailed back on course.

While making my daily sighting, a lookout spotted land.  That's when I felt the pyramid gold speak to me.  I wrote down the wrong latitude in the ship's log, and taken it to memory, only.  No one else suspected, and they were focused on checking out the island.  I opted to stay on the ship to "verify my latitude". 

Only one member of the landing party survived, but injured.  Everyone else had been killed by the natives.  His pouch fell while getting helped to the doctor below, and I took the pouch. With nothing but a skeleton crew left, we sailed back here, broke.

These coins were what the crewman took from the island, and he uttered one word. Pyramid.

You pay me again, and I'll tell you what the latitude was.  If you pay me double, I'll tell you the truth.

The Oleon adventurer had told his tale to the only one desperate enough to hear his tale and the only one in town who had the ability to find this "Pyramid Treasure", a navigator of a Mardier exploration ship. 

Keeping the story to himself and with favorable winds, the Mardier officer led the exploration vessel straight to the island.  The Mardier Officer warned them that the natives were very aggressive and to find a pyramid.  Seeing how a Mardier has never sailed these waters, the crew were vexed how the officer knew this vital information.  The crewmen, with rifles ready, went straight for the tallest point of the small island.

33796369024_09e21d2d7e_c.jpg

With no sightings of natives, they were surprised to see the pyramid abandoned, full of treasure. 

33796369664_c2c6d4b3ed_c.jpg

Certain that the natives could be back at any time, they quickly loaded their vessel and began their long trek back to Mardier.

The Mardier ship had escaped a run-in with pirates. By the grace of the gods, the vessel barely made it to a remote Oleon settlement.  The leaky, damaged vessel was scuttled once the treasure was loaded into the fort. 

Oleon’s reputation for ensuring their settlements are well fortified was strengthened when the Mardier arrived.  The large fort could easily protect the Mardier cargo until an adequate vessel is available to finish transporting their cargo.

33761634774_4b9e62fe53_z.jpg

33761636904_8bc2ca2cd2_z.jpg

While moving the chests into the fort, the Mardier noticed some eerily familiar individuals in the jail. 

33761632904_0cc8917dd7_c.jpg

The Oleon officer casually stated another ship had come two days earlier under Eslandolian colors requesting supplies.  There were no suspicions until one of the lookouts in the fort claimed to see a black flag being sewn on the poop deck. 

The fort was made ready for an engagement with the suspicious vessel.  The vessel’s crew heard the bells sound from the fort.  The crew were frantic to respond and raised the very black flag they were sewing.  After a couple of rounds from these large guns went through the vessel, it quickly fled.

33794704453_7febb8547b.jpg  34604647665_b29857e477.jpg

These men were here procuring supplies from the vessel’s landing craft.  They claim to be Eslandolian privateers and not pirates and don’t believe that raising the black flag was deliberate.  We sent an envoy to Eslandolia to see if these men are who they claim to be.  If you ask me, they may be dressed in green, but inside I think they’re pirates.  I am sure they’ll be on the gallows soon. The Mardier officer simply smiled.

34474229771_c2e65c99f0_z.jpg

• Mpyromaxos built the tavern scene.
  • Gideon built the pyramid.
  • I built the fort.

Thanks for looking. :pir-classic:

Additional Pictures:

Reveal hidden contents

Not only you disappoint us by giving thieves access to your ports, you also made me click on "reveal hidden contents", without anything to appear! :look:

This will not be slightly forgiven!

And dressing some poor pirates in green so you can accuse us of attacking an Oleon port, how dare you! Feel free to hang them on the gallow, we have nothing to do with them! Nowadays everyone wants to be Eslandolan... Fakers...

Anyway, excellent collab and a pleasure to read!

13 minutes ago, Maxim I said:

Not only you disappoint us by giving thieves access to your ports, you also made me click on "reveal hidden contents", without anything to appear! :look:

This will not be slightly forgiven!

:pir-laugh: I want to know what was supposed to be there too! :pir-grin:  

Great collab, all three scenes are really cool.  I love that interior, great choice of colors and so many details!  The pyramid is epic too, lovely droopy vegetation and that tree growing up on the side is fantastic!  Embedding micro figs into the wall with a half stud offset is also brilliant.  And the fort... what a fabulous amount of dark red profile bricks!  Great work on the curves!  But I'm surprised Mardier was thoughtless enough to try to store its gold in an Oleon fort.  The RNTC will surely take a 30% cut off the top before they let it ship out... :pir_tong2:

Wow - hard to tell which build I like best, all three are really excellent! :pir-sweet:  Great job on capturing the tavern feel in the first build, Mpyro, and that wheel on the wall is a very nice touch :thumbup:  The vegetation, trees, and pyramid on the second are excellent as well, and the face on the front is very well executed - and somewhat funny, somehow :pir-grin: :pir_laugh2:  Very nice fort in the last too, Phred - as Kai said, that's a very impressive collection of dark red masonry bricks, but the corner towers and courtyard inside - and gallows, though I hate to say it - are awesome! :pir-laugh:  Very nice posing in all the shots as well!

And on top of that, a neat story to cap it all off (even if those greencoats are totally not Eslandolan!) 

10 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

But I'm surprised Mardier was thoughtless enough to try to store its gold in an Oleon fort.  The RNTC will surely take a 30% cut off the top before they let it ship out... :pir_tong2:

:laugh: :roflmao: :iamded_lol:

11 hours ago, Maxim I said:

:facepalm: There was an electrical storm last night, and hastily posted everything when my internet was back. :grin:

They're right here: :blush: 

Spoiler

33796369354_327d9698fc_c.jpg

33794696233_08c82a94fa_z.jpg

34604646325_b49ce6e90c_z.jpg

When I rotate the 2X2 round plates behind the soldier (center bottom in the above image).  It rotates the technic pieces that move the "pistons" and activate the cannon flashes.

Here are some close ups of the cannon:

34474223011_cc156f76f5_z.jpg

33761640684_35a22934f8_z.jpg

11 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

But I'm surprised Mardier was thoughtless enough to try to store its gold in an Oleon fort.  The RNTC will surely take a 30% cut off the top before they let it ship out... :pir_tong2:

Nothing wrong with making a little money from  a rich explorer's unfortunate events. :grin:

I like all three builds, especially their color usage. The tavern is excellent, great detail items, and the dark orange works well with the different browns. The pyramid may be my favorite. with the olive plates in the stonework and weeds and the dark green vines. (And what piece did Gideon use for the leaves on the tree on the right? Excellent!) I also like the round towers of the fort and how the dark red walls contrast with the white supports. And a well told story to tie it all together. :thumbup:

Nice story, those stingy Mardierans, we should ask them a fair amount of gold in exchange of our help.:pir-classic:

The three builds are amazing, I like the furniture and interior details of the first scene, the pyramid is imposing, wonderfully built, with tons of details, the abundance of vegetation and moss create a good effect of desolation. The fort is impressive, with dark red and white colour scheme, the cannons are huge, the illumination feature is a nice touch, it increases playability.

Lovely builds!

The colour scheme of the tavern looks great, the addition of the bits and pieces in different colours give it a lively atmosphere.

The pyramid is amazing, great vegetation and its looks properly abandoned and ancient. Haven't seen those jars before but they are beautiful and the little extra colour is great addition.

The fort looks like a proper one, well defended with epic walls and big cannons. Looking at all the jails and the gallows I wouldn't want to mess about in Oleon!  

A nice collaboration guys! Splendid builds all of them, coupled with an intriguing story!

@Gideon Care to elaborate on the ceramic jars pieces that lay on top of the pyramid? They are nearly identical to some jars found on excavations across greco-roman sites and I could possibly find some use for them :wink:

Thanks! 

(The jars are old Scala flower pots in salmon color and the palm leaves are sand green dinosaur flippers)

Wow, great collaboration guys! I think that by concentrating on one build each you've been able to bring a quality to each build that is sometimes missed by trying to do three each.

The tavern is really well done. Great palate for the colours and loads of good little details. The mini-fig choices are really good as well.

The pyramid is everything I would have liked mine to be... The overgrown feel is really captured and the variety of vegetation really adds to this feel as does the use of the dark and olive green on the building itself. The details such as the microfigs complete the look! The Mardierian soldiers are also an elegant solution to a tricky colour choice.

The fort is a great shape, the rounded bastions at the corners especially. The dark red looks really good, so many dark red masonry bricks!!! The gallows add a rather ominous touch - especially for those poor Eslandolan pirate prisoners!

Overall top quality MOCs with a great story - I think we may possibly have a winner here!

On 5/17/2017 at 3:10 PM, Gideon said:

The jars are old Scala flower pots in salmon color

Nice. That's a nice piece. :thumbup:

Thanks for the complements. :pir-classic:

I wanted to build a fort with similar color scheme as the blue coat fort from the last pirate wave.
I ordered the dark-red masonry bricks from LugBulk. I've got more on the way. :grin: 

Great story for these builds. Everyone did a great job on these. I'd love to see these cannons in more MOCs. It feels very much like the PoTC ride. :laugh: