Renegade Clone

[MOC] [Instructions] UCS Zeta-class cargo shuttle

36 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone!

After receiving so many enquiries seeking instructions for my Zeta-class cargo shuttle, I am pleased to announce the release of a professional 768 page instruction manual for purchase. 

The final piece count is 4418, just surpassing 75159 Death Star. The completed model measures 70 x 56 x 38cm (wings upright). 

I have put together a package that includes the 768 page pdf instruction manual, parts list and LDD file. All of it is available for 25 British pounds (£25). If you would like to purchase the plans, please either PM me or contact me at renegadelight@googlemail.com.

I will have a public parts list uploaded to rebrickable very soon (for simplicity, red coloured pieces can be anything you like, they are not visible from the exterior). 

I’m sure everyone appreciates the long hours that went into designing both the physical model and step-by-step build. I had a lot of fun putting this one together and hope others will too! 

The Rebrickable parts list is now live here

Here is the original thread from February 2017 and the Flickr album. I have revised the attachment between the wings and main body, but not been brave enough to motorise it - I'll leave that to someone else to try! Below are a few excerpts from the manual: 

34503667242_4eda61aca1_c.jpg

34534875871_e4510f29ed_c.jpg

34665172365_09ae612c5a_c.jpg

34280100180_64d3525e7b_c.jpg

Please feel free to use this thread to discuss anything about the model design, building steps, part substitutions, etc. 

Edited by Renegade Clone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

It doesn't look like 4,000 pieces... until you see that picture of it dominating the UCS Imperial Shuttle.  Then you get a true sense of scale :)

$30 is a small price to pay for so much quality and effort.

Edited by Schneeds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG! Now this is one impressive MOC to build!

Will be contacting you soon! :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This model is amazing... Want. So. Bad. 

Did you use BluePrint to generate the instructions? If so, I feel your pain... It can be very tedious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind comments! I managed to use separate files in Blueprint for sub-models, then skipped to the end for final assembly. I plan to have my V-35 speeder, A-wing & T-16 skyhopper available for free soon. I've been told that Rebrickable is not always loading parts at the moment, but below are obvious substitutions that come to mind: 

Page 5-7 / 768

  • The (x7) 6x6 orange plates are not visible. They can be substituted for 6x6 or 6x12 plates of any colour.

Pages 43-45

  • The 10x10 stud area (in front of what becomes the door into the cargo pod) can be tiled however you like, particularly with jumper plates for minifigures.

Pages 403 + 420

  • The only geometry clash that I found in LDD was with the left + right 3x6 wedge plates (added on pages 98 + 122). It works on my physical model, but you could change them for a right + left 1x3 wedge plates (but it would leave a small gap).

Pages 436-448

  • Any pair of stacked 1x2 bricks can be substituted for a 1x2x2 brick (you could switch out all x88 for x44 if you want). 

Pages 686

  • While carefully supporting the wing upright, remove the free sitting Technic Axle 11 (newly available in the 2017 Y-wing) and replace through the (x3) Gear 40 tooth. Don’t forget the (x2) 2L pin connectors! 

Page 687-688

  • There is enough flexibility to squeeze the wing linkage into the rear wing. The proper ‘official’ way would involve fitting both wings at once, but that would require help to hold it steady and insert the axles. 

Page 768

  • The topside panels remove for ease of maintenance and adjusting the worm gears if required. 

Let me know any other ideas if you have them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations nice project! Very cautious in details and respectful proportions. Great UCS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I love on your MOC is that it seems like an official Lego product in its technics and look, it's not common at all that MOCers do such a job.

Congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just received my copy of the instructions today. From first look they receive a clear "double thumbs up" from my point of view.

After importing the parts list into BrickStore i let the prog calculate an overall estemated price range for all parts. The model seems to be in the 600 € range (all parts in new condition, not including the necessary porto for needed bricklink orders).  Time and several bricklink orders will tell if this price indication is valid or not 😜.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a stupid question, but, is it possible to display this on a stand?

I haven't seen a pic of it on a stand.

Wouldn't mind displaying this next to the shuttle. Is there a spot to insert a stand?

Thanks, Jamie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't locate an email address to buy instructions from you, where do I find that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FrankusFurtus said:

Just received my copy of the instructions today. From first look they receive a clear "double thumbs up" from my point of view.

After importing the parts list into BrickStore i let the prog calculate an overall estemated price range for all parts. The model seems to be in the 600 € range (all parts in new condition, not including the necessary porto for needed bricklink orders).  Time and several bricklink orders will tell if this price indication is valid or not 😜.

I did a quick price test and changed most of the red (non-visible parts) to either gray or black depending on what is more common and likely cheaper. Bricklink found a combo of I think 7 stores for a grand total of $370. That was new or used parts. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15.5.2017 at 9:55 AM, Renegade Clone said:

--SNIP--

I have put together a package that includes the 768 page pdf instruction manual, parts list and LDD file. All of it is available for 25 British pounds (£25). If you would like to purchase the plans, please either PM me or contact me at renegadelight@googlemail.com.

--SNIP--

 

9 hours ago, wikigregg said:

I can't locate an email address to buy instructions from you, where do I find that?

Qupted the relevant section with the mail for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jamie75 said:

Maybe a stupid question, but, is it possible to display this on a stand?

I haven't seen a pic of it on a stand.

Wouldn't mind displaying this next to the shuttle. Is there a spot to insert a stand?

Thanks, Jamie

Good question. I had a look at the 10212 instructions, where the stand has a pyramid that fits into a 4x6 hole in the shuttle, whilst supporting the underside. The first steps for my model lays down a row of (x7) 6x6 plates with 2x10 plate 'ribbing' across them (middle of the ship here). Only the rear five are accessible (as the ladder area is built over the front two), so in theory a couple could be taken out, reinforced, and made to fit two 10212 type stands. You would need a lot of space to display it in flight mode, but it could be done. I never attempted this as I don't even have a stand (yet) for my bricklinked 10212. The flat underside has a surface area of 42 x 10, which should be enough to spread and balance the load. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Renegade Clone said:

Good question. I had a look at the 10212 instructions, where the stand has a pyramid that fits into a 4x6 hole in the shuttle, whilst supporting the underside. The first steps for my model lays down a row of (x7) 6x6 plates with 2x10 plate 'ribbing' across them (middle of the ship here). Only the rear five are accessible (as the ladder area is built over the front two), so in theory a couple could be taken out, reinforced, and made to fit two 10212 type stands. You would need a lot of space to display it in flight mode, but it could be done. I never attempted this as I don't even have a stand (yet) for my bricklinked 10212. The flat underside has a surface area of 42 x 10, which should be enough to spread and balance the load. 

I modded my 10212 stand to use the landing gear "interface", it also got some bonus support due to its large wing facing a window and due to that being a wind-stopper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have adjusted the Rebrickable inventory, particularly with the following: 

Pages 560 & 686

  • Of the (x12) 62462 required:
    • (x4) 75535 are needed in Dark Bluish Grey for the wings (page 560), but as they are somewhat rare you could use (x8) 18654 instead.
    • (x8) are needed when fitting the wings (page 686), but I suggest using 62462 Flat Silver (very common colour).

Page 72

  • The Dark Bluish Grey slope 30 1 x 2 x 2/3 should have this print. So you only need (x38) for the rest of the model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2017-5-17 at 4:42 PM, bricksmarlin said:

I paid 350€ altogether!

Old and new parts!

uh, recent price part superseeds 500 USD on used parts alone.... HOW!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, StarBrick said:

uh, recent price part superseeds 500 USD on used parts alone.... HOW!!!!

Bricklink - Easy Buy

gallery_8754_6681_60111.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And with this manual you have fulfilled the wishes of many AFOLs, will definitely be building this in the future!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another 200€ for parts!
Did not like the used parts.
Now all visible parts will be new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost all parts are there.
Waiting for 2 more orders.
Next week the fun begins :laugh:

gallery_8754_6681_120832.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the room an adult playground for sure.Some very nice builds in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.