I've been planning this for a long time and now I've finally got it all working. Lift and props are powered by an XL motor and a RC train speed controller. Drive comes from one L motor. 4 wheel steering and rudders are by servo.

Edited by JamesJT
Better video

32 minutes ago, Victor Imaginator said:

Revolutionary, as almost all of your models) Sad, but it isn't blue...

Thanks, I couldn't be revolutionary with the colour, hovercraft are almost always white.

24 minutes ago, Jeroen Ottens said:

Very interesting model. I'm curious what your lift generating mechanism is :classic:

Lift and props are connected by a differential, I just had to make it easier to lift the body than spin the props.

Wow, this is just amazing :thumbup:

Wait to see it from below or some sketch of lifting mechanism.

I found that using a train speed controller for driving looks more realistic due to the slow response times. I also added a ratchet to the drive that allows it to free wheel and only go forward - please somebody tell me a hovercraft can go backward, I'm getting fed up of retrieving it from corners. 

34329316840_39bcf058e1.jpgIMG_2185 by James Tillson, on Flickr

That is something completely out of the box! The subject is not something new, but you managed to implement it in such an innovative way, now I am asking myself how else you can built the hovercraft?  It is not a hovercraft if it doesn't lift. As @Victor Imaginator said it's a small revolution! I see such vehicles in real life a lot, and I should agree with @z3_2drive, the movements look very realistic.

All done. The new video in the OP shows how it works.

Edited by JamesJT
Updated Video

7 hours ago, JamesJT said:

All done. The video shows how it works.

Awwww. I thought it was real :wink:  :tongue:  :laugh: 

It's a very nice and neat mechanism, and a cool illusion!

I also thought it is real. Some years ago I have seen ZBLj's Proof-of-Design hovercraft with old fas spinning 9V motor and some hovercraft skirt in a form of plastic foil (purist could use Lego own wrapping plastic bags). Unfortunately the fan was not capable enough to lift the battery box but I am sure it could be done, perhaps with some buggy motors etc.

Nevertheless, I like your hovercraft, since it hits at the proper  way of operation. And it's nicely looking. Thanks.

8 hours ago, aeh5040 said:

...a cool illusion!

That's exactly reaction I wanted. Thank you

When I first saw it I thought it was real, as @aeh5040 said cool illusion of the skirt inflating, too bad Lego motors are not powerful to actually power a fan to inflate a bag.

Joint to the chor, really nice sculpting, and live alike illusion. Great MOC! :thumbup: