TCRR Constitution

What is happening to lego trains?

I went to look at the selection of Lego trains recently, and I noticed the heavy haul train is a similar remake to the cargo train, and I noticed the passenger train appears to be a remake of the 2007 one. What is going on?

I suppose it's consistent with other City lines where there is a default combination of the usual sets for those themes - see the endless variations on police and fire stations etc. We occasionally get a 'bonus' from other themes like Toy Story, Lone Ranger and Winter Village, but with the Creator Expert line seemingly extinct, I'm not looking to Lego to provide any more AFOL oriented sets in the near future. Ive still got everything crossed for the Ideas Tram set though!

Edited by PeteM
More words

As PeteM said, it's just how Lego runs their themes. Every 3 years you'll see a new wave of City Fire sets, every 3 years there's a Police wave, and every 4 years there's a new freight/cargo train, a passenger train and a station.

Unfortunately those passenger trains tend to be the high-speed variety with big single-mold fronts. My favourit passenger train from recent years is 7938 from 2010, a nice commuter train with a brick-build front.

Anyway, expect another bundle of three City Train sets next year.

19 hours ago, Duq said:

...big single-mold fronts...

I don't have a problem with high-speed trains, but THIS is a no-go to me. 7938 looks indeed very cool and has good playability. Even if the front on 60051 looks remarkably close to an ICE, I would have prefered a brick-built version. I've bought it, nevertheless, can't say no to 25% off. Guess I will give it to my sibling and stick to my 9V beauties :tongue:

And yeah, it seems like 4 years is about that regular release scheme for Trains nowadays, besides the Holiday ones. I'm too hoping for some new Creator train this or next year.

2 hours ago, TCRR Constitution said:

I really also hope to see another creator train. Maybe another steam loco?

We've already had the winter train so I assume we'll have to wait a while for another creator train.

6 minutes ago, AlmightyArjen said:

We've already had the winter train so I assume we'll have to wait a while for another creator train.

I'll also hope for a new Creator Expert Train. ( I do not count the Winter Trains as they are some sort of special characters and are also more or less always the same and not very appealing to me)

A predecessor for the Emerald Night would be very nice, or some sort of sophisticated brick built e-locomotive (e.g. the Taurus). Or another idea, train cars only: what about a nice train car: a new highly detailed version of 7814 e.g ... Or what about a Creator Expert train related building? A train station, cargo terminal, switch tower, ....

BR, Guenther

3 minutes ago, AlmightyArjen said:

Sadly probably true, but as TLG aren't adverse to the occasional remake I have my fingers crossed for an 'improved' Emerald Night . . . one day . . .

FWIW I recently reviewed 7938 on Brickset and noted that the brick built nose was a good part of its appeal for me :) Far preferably to the single nose piece on the high speed sets, though they are the only way to realistically achieve that 'look'

27 minutes ago, tmctiger said:

I'll also hope for a new Creator Expert Train. ( I do not count the Winter Trains as they are some sort of special characters and are also more or less always the same and not very appealing to me)

A predecessor for the Emerald Night would be very nice, or some sort of sophisticated brick built e-locomotive (e.g. the Taurus). Or another idea, train cars only: what about a nice train car: a new highly detailed version of 7814 e.g ... Or what about a Creator Expert train related building? A train station, cargo terminal, switch tower, ....

BR, Guenther

For a predecessor to the emerald night, how bout the mallard?

Image result for mallard locomotive

A city steam locomotive would be cool to.

Edited by TCRR Constitution

4 hours ago, TCRR Constitution said:

For a predecessor to the emerald night, how bout the mallard?

Image result for mallard locomotive

A city steam locomotive would be cool to.

Yes why not. But for me it should be more something like that: Class 52

There are already very cool MOCs out there showcasing that you can build quite impressive Versions of that class of steam locomotive.

While I agree that we should get another steamer, I think it would be nice to have an American steam engine,

Like this tank engine:

HOscale060TswitcherMadebyRivarossiDistri

Or this tender engine:

50604.jpg

Maybe even this larger one?

0-6-6-0.jpg

Although, I still think that the safest thing TLC could do would be to re-release the Emerald Night set-- either as a complete train set with electronics + track + 2 coaches + small platform, or in an alternate colour scheme like Ruby (dk red) or Sapphire (dk blue).

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:46 AM, M_slug357 said:

Like this tank engine:

A small tank engine like that would be awesome from TLG, and the one you posted even has UK appeal; several of a similar design (if not identical) were sent over here (for use during the war I believe...)
Unfortunately, this seems unlikely. TLG are likely to stick to their existing pattern of city trains, and the creator/expert trains seem to have dried up (I think). The model may also be too weak or incompatible directly with PF, at least what they are willing to do with PF officially.

I know!  And the red European-style cargo train was just a repeat of the one from 2003! https://brickset.com/sets/4512-1/Cargo-Train 

And that was a repeat of the one from 1994!! https://brickset.com/sets/4564-1/Freight-Rail-Runner

Imagine!  

And even worse, the heavy haul overhead crane is just a repeat of this crane from 1978! https://brickset.com/sets/165-1/Cargo-Station

:wink: