Itaria No Shintaku

The Greatest CMF Important Poll

How many minifigures do you want to reach round 2?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. How many minifigures do you want to reach round 2?

• 64. Leave things as they are.
    • 128. All the runner-ups deserve a second chance.

Just now, Slegengr said:

I voted to keep the runners-up since some of my favorites barely lost the round they were in, but I actually think now that I would change my vote.  The purpose of this game is to eliminate all CMFs other than Eurobricks voters' top favorite.  This means that every single CMF other than that top favorite will be eliminated, including everyone's personal favorite that might already have been eliminated.  It seems to me the only reason to keep runners-up would be to establish a ranking from favorite to least favorite of all CMFs, which was not the intent of this game.

I already have a mean to make this and I can easily make you vote for number #2 in a quite fast way.
If you like that. But we'll talk about this within months when the game will be over.

2 hours ago, Slegengr said:

The purpose of this game is to eliminate all CMFs other than Eurobricks voters' top favorite.  This means that every single CMF other than that top favorite will be eliminated, including everyone's personal favorite that might already have been eliminated.

In one on one matches, yes, that happens. Not necessarily so in group matches, though. Imagine minifigure A and minifigure B are both favorites (say, top 5) of about 30 people. Minifigure C is the favorite of 20 people. Now, if all 3 minifigs are placed in the same group, people who have both A and B in their favorites will have to choose either. Let's say they split even. If 15 people choose A and 15 people choose B, then both A and B will lose against C, which will have 20 votes. However, if you had placed A vs C, or B vs C, C would have been eliminated. At best, C would be second favorite among these 3 minifigures, but the current system would have it advance as the favorite.

Edited by BrickHat

Runners ups deserve a chance. It'll make it more fun anyway because they'll be more rounds. Still loving this game :pir-blush:

2 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

I already have a mean to make this and I can easily make you vote for number #2 in a quite fast way.
If you like that. But we'll talk about this within months when the game will be over.

24 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

In one on one matches, yes, that happens. Not necessarily so in group matches, though. Imagine minifigure A and minifigure B are both favorites (say, top 5) of about 30 people. Minifigure C is the favorite of 20 people. Now, if all 3 minifigs are placed in the same group, people who have both A and B in their favorites will have to choose either. Let's say they split even. If 15 people choose A and 15 people choose B, then both A and B will lose against C, which will have 20 votes. However, if you had placed A vs C, or B vs C, C would have been eliminated. At best, C would be second favorite among these 3 minifigures, but the current system would have it advance as the favorite.

I just mean that I like the game the way it is and the end result of all rounds will be one CMF at the very top of the list.  I do agree that I dislike the random selection, as some groups had my personal favorites against each other while other rounds had none that I was interested in, but I know that not everyone will agree completely with me.  This means that some of my favorites get eliminated earlier and all of my favorites (except one, if others are in agreement with me) will be eliminated by the end of the game.

What might be interesting to see is a list of every Eurobricks member's ranking of every single CMF ever made when compared against each other.  This would truly show which CMFs Eurobricks prefers as a whole, but this would be a very daunting task for each member to rank ALL CMFs ever made.

I do not have a strong preference whether or not to allow runners-up to be included in round 2. I also note that there seems to be a preference among voters for historical figures rather than for the space figures which can be discouraging to those who like the space theme best, but, in the end, there will be only one CMF left which may not be a historical or space figure at all.

The most significant note I take from this game is that I can still chose my own personal favorites for whatever reason I want, regardless of the game results.

16 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Sure, but in the end only one would prevail. If this is about giving minifigs that had a rough group a second chance, then all that matters, in my opinion, is that they would have the chance to try to beat the champ one on one, if they win the "runner-up championship".

So if that is going to happen for the last part of the poll, but not the first part, then can voters go back and change votes in previous rounds? If I had known that second place was going to get promoted as well, then I would have voted differently in some rounds. Instead of voting or the figure that eventually won by a long way, I would have voted for a third place figure that in some cases would have probably beaten the second place character but not the first place one. This is why it is important to have rules at the start and have them fixed, not to change them part way through a game. 

I think the whole "runner-up" problem has more to do with the fact that each round had six figures.

Not to knock on Shintaku's setup of the whole contest, but this problem could have been avoided if these figures were pitted against each other 1 to 1. Then we would just vote for multiple rounds at a time. So instead of 1 round of six figures, we would vote for 3 rounds of two figures each. Sure, crowd favorites would still be pitted against each other, but that's all based on luck. There's no real way to "seed" the figures so more popular figures would have a better chance of getting through the first few rounds. You just have to hope your favorites are pitted against unpopular figures.

All that being said, we have to keep it the same for what's been done so far. Also, I've enjoyed this contest thus far and cannot wait to get closer to our final 64! It's so exciting and interesting to see people's favorite figures when given a small handful of choices...

12 hours ago, telaruhn said:

I think the whole "runner-up" problem has more to do with the fact that each round had six figures.

Not to knock on Shintaku's setup of the whole contest, but this problem could have been avoided if these figures were pitted against each other 1 to 1. Then we would just vote for multiple rounds at a time. So instead of 1 round of six figures, we would vote for 3 rounds of two figures each. Sure, crowd favorites would still be pitted against each other, but that's all based on luck. There's no real way to "seed" the figures so more popular figures would have a better chance of getting through the first few rounds. You just have to hope your favorites are pitted against unpopular figures.

All that being said, we have to keep it the same for what's been done so far. Also, I've enjoyed this contest thus far and cannot wait to get closer to our final 64! It's so exciting and interesting to see people's favorite figures when given a small handful of choices...

If I made 1 vs 1 starting at 384 we'd got 192, then 96, then 48, then 24, then 12, then 6, then 3.

17 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

If I made 1 vs 1 starting at 384 we'd got 192, then 96, then 48, then 24, then 12, then 6, then 3.

Groups of 3 would have worked, ---> 128, the 64, 32,16,8,4,2,1.

But it is fine as it is. Using 6 has just reduced the number of rounds. Sure some apparently popular characters have got lost in round 1, but they will have lost at some stage if not round 2 then probably 3 or 4.

Just now, MAB said:

Groups of 3 would have worked, ---> 128, the 64, 32,16,8,4,2,1.

But it is fine as it is. Using 6 has just reduced the number of rounds. Sure some apparently popular characters have got lost in round 1, but they will have lost at some stage if not round 2 then probably 3 or 4.

Yes that's my point.
Next week stage 2 will start and we will have 1 vs 1 so this problem can end.

12 hours ago, Itaria No Shintaku said:

Yes that's my point.
Next week stage 2 will start and we will have 1 vs 1 so this problem can end.

Will you be doing more than one round at a time?