This is an attempt to start collecting gearbox designs in a single thread. To get started, feel free to add existing gearboxes, but please always add a reference to the original designer. Also be sure to add some information on

• designer
  • motorized or manual
  • sequential or direct
  • special features like paddle shifters and
  • number of gears, e.g. 5+R.

That will also help me in making an index in the OP. Or even better, if it can not be classified along these lines from the entry here, I will not add it to the index.

Thanks!

Edited by Didumos69

Good idea, suspension and gearboxes is where most people start when making supercars or even offroaders. I will post some of my ideas shortly.

Sequential AWD 4-speed gearbox with V8 fake engine

• designer: Didumos69
  • motorized or manual: manual
  • sequential or direct: sequential
  • special features: 4wd with central diff, one-finger shifter, incl. V8 fake engine, the gear layout is the sequential counterpart of @Attika's Smallest 4 speed 4wd gearbox?
  • number of gears: 4-speed

This gearbox is an excerpt from my rugged supercar project. The mid-console has an important role in the overall stiffness of that model. It had to be narrow as well. If you build (have built) it, you will notice it has very little torsional flex.

I wanted a 4-speed sequential gearbox covering a wide range of ratios. So not something like 1:2.5 upto 1:1, but rather something like 1:3:5 upto 1:0.8. Another requirement I had, was that I didn't want red clutch gears to transfer drive on axles rotating at different RPM. This is a common practice, but from modding the Porsche I know it induces a lot of friction on the axles involved. When not engaged, red clutch gears better only make dummy rotations and not transfer drive. And finally, all had to fit underneath the engine; I didn't want the gearbox to be routed through the entire chassis.

960x450.jpg

Instructions available on Rebrickable.com.

Edited by Didumos69

15 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Good idea, suspension and gearboxes is where most people start when making supercars or even offroaders. I will post some of my ideas shortly.

Great!

Guys, when you post a gearbox, try to include one picture per gearbox and some short info about it, or at least just short info. It will massively help those who are searching for specific design.

14 minutes ago, Milan said:

Guys, when you post a gearbox, try to include one picture per gearbox and some short info about it, or at least just short info. It will massively help those who are searching for specific design.

Thanks, I was about to ask the same thing. Some info on designer, motorized or manual, sequential or direct, special features like paddle shifters and number of gears, e.g. 5+R, would be nice. This will also help me in making an index in the OP. Or even better, if it can not be classified along these lines from the entry here, I will not add it to the index.

39 minutes ago, Attika said:

Cool, I'll link my ones too sometime. Thanks for creating this thread.

Sometime? I know at least two gearboxes from your hand. I can add them if you wish?

Here's the best one of mine, 4 speeds + remote sequential shifting with a stepper:

2 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

Sometime? I know at least two gearboxes from your hand. I can add them if you wish?

As it is a thread under your management and you have more experience shaping topics I'd be honored if you do it for me. Not to mention it is shaping up to be a busy weekend that is why I could not make a specific timing on it. Two of my gearboxes have their own topics here and there is one under the 8880 evo too. Thank you in advance.

43 minutes ago, Milan said:

Okay, I added Images at 100px wide.

Here is my contribution:

800x600.jpg

• designer: Rudivdk
  • Manually operated
  • Direct operation
  • special features: single pivot point for gearstick, linkage to gearbox, fits in 3studs wide center console
  • number of gears: 5 forward, neutral and reverse

I was inspired by Thirdwigg's 6speed gearbox from his Cadillac ATS supersedan, Crowkillers 4speed gearbox from his Asassin X19 and the 5+R gearbox from Nathanaël Kuipers' Predator. Ended up mixing them all with some inspiration from the 42054 Claas steering mode selector as well.

Here's some vids (apologies for noob quality...)

Gearbox in action

Shifter linkage system in action

Instructions PDF

Edited by Rudivdk
Updated instructions

I'm proud of my last version of the DCT (dual clutch) gearbox with 7 speeds. PFS and manual version.

34506559241_fa3b8afcd9_c.jpg

34359183425_750df18300_z.jpg

I will publish more information soon, make a new video and instructions.

• Designer : Levihathan
  • Motorized by 2 RC motors and 1 XL for the shifter. Manual version switchable
  • Sequential 
  • Dual Clutch, speeds sequence, AWD or FWD/RWD, differential bridge inside
  • 7 speeds and Reverse

Highly inspired by Sheepo's gearboxes. I learned a lot with frenches designers like NLF77 or Durian. This is a working version, compact and very reliable. Stay tune, I'm on the way to make a new video :)

This is two to see the previous version in action, and a quick video to watch main features on this version.

New one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWTlnuMJZl0

Previous one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRqLCK8UyzA

Edited by Leviathan

12 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Here is my contribution:

• Manually operated
  • Direct operation
  • special features: single pivot point for gearstick, linkage to gearbox, fits in 3studs wide center console

I was inspired by Thirdwigg's 6speed gearbox from his Cadillac ATS supersedan, Crowkillers 4speed gearbox from his Asassin X19 and the 5+R gearbox from Nathanaël Kuipers' Predator. Ended up mixing them all with some inspiration from the 42054 Claas steering mode selector as well.

Gearbox in action

Wow! Best non-Sequential-gearbox-shifter ever seen - because the most realistic one concerning driver-operation - the true successor of 8880-shifter with 5+R...

this one and Didumous' sequential one are my favorites... top notch 

Edited by Milan
Please don't quote images from the same page

12 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Here is my contribution:

• Manually operated
  • Direct operation

Gearbox in action

Nice! Do you have instructions for this?

4 speed 4wd gearbox with lockable diff

• designer: Attika
  • sequential or direct: direct
  • special features: 4wd with lockable central diff

4 Speed 4WD Sequential Gearbox

• motorized or manual: manual, can be motorized
  • sequential or direct: sequential
  • special features: 4wd with central diff

Smallest 4 speed 4wd gearbox?

• sequential or direct: direct
  • special features: 4wd with central diff, the gear layout is the non-sequential counterpart of @Didumos69's Sequential AWD 4-speed gearbox

Wow @Attika, those gearboxes are amazingly compact! :oh3:

40 minutes ago, Rudivdk said:

yes coming up, will raise a new thread once done

Great! I will keep an eye out for it, I'm very interested in building the shifting mechanism :sweet:.

2 speed + park

• Designer: @Aventador2004
  • RC or manual.
  • manual shift lever.
  • it's first gear ratios can be swapped from 3:1 to 5:3.
  • 2 speeds + park.

This gearbox is my first small, all my own idea gearbox designed for my air pocket supercar. It has two toward speeds that can have their gear ratios changed to fit your needs. The second special feature is a parking brake integrated into the system, while still being very small and sacrificing nothing but time to think of it.

The gearbox doesn't have a video yet, but I will make one with the finished supercar. The yellow is to engine, LBG 7l axle is from wheels.

IMG_2119.JPG

Instructions here, and if you build it, feel free to use it your moc, (with a small credit to me of course:grin:).

http://bricksafe.com/pages/aventador2014/2-speedpark

Edited by Aventador2004
Added input

• designer: Splat
  • motorized or manual: Motorized (but could also be manual)
  • sequential or direct: Sequential (using linear actuator)
  • special features: can be changed to more or less gears
  • number of gears: 3 Speed + Neutral + PTO
  • more info: Eurobricks Topic

--------

• designer: Splat
  • motorized or manual: Motorized (but could also be manual)
  • sequential or direct: Sequential (using worm gears)
  • special features: can be changed to more or less gears
  • number of gears: 6 Speed + Reverse

Found a gearbox amongst some older EB topics:

• Designer: @Rage_Hobbit
  • Number of Gears: 4
  • Gear Ratio Spread: 5:1 - 1:1
  • Transmission Type: Dual-Sequential (manual)
  • Synchronized? Yes
  • Instructions? Yes (LDD file)

On 5/13/2017 at 3:36 PM, Rudivdk said:

Here is my contribution:

800x600.jpg

• Manually operated
  • Direct operation

Gearbox in action

Instructions PDF

That gearstick mechanism is totally awesome!!!!!!  I wish I had found this a long time ago. I'm blown away!! This is the only one of  these I've seen that actually works!!! And, you posted the BI. THANK YOU!!!  I'm building this today.

Do you have any digital files of this, LDRAW, LDD, Stud.io, etc?

Edited by 1963maniac
Question