Some very interesting point of view on that topic. :)

It appears that there are as many concept of purism as lego fan. :)

Personnally, I do use custom chromed parts for SW models. From time to time, I also paint some parts. Because they are not produced by Lego in the color I need (dark red, generally). And when they are produced, I switch my painted part with an official Lego part. It doesn't bother me much. The thing is just to use the very same color than the lego bricks.

Of course, I also do some UCS stickers for my SW models.

One thing is missing in that thread, though. We read a lot of comment about what part using (lego, non lego), what substitution is acceptable, how modifying a part can be ok, etc.

But no one mentionned how using a specific part in a building process. I consider that using a part in a way it is not made for is wrong (illegal build).

I mean, tweaking a part would be wrong but using a part in a way that it is stressed so that it might break would be right ?

So I think that the design process of a model is as important as what part can be used regarding the matter of purism.

So you see. Yet another point of view. :D

1 minute ago, Anio said:

It appears that there are as many concept of purism as lego fan.

From time to time, I also paint some parts.

Yes, it is a personal preference, but I never paint Lego parts!

17 hours ago, Sariel said:

I think that one is dead simple. Lego is chroming pieces but not painting them (I mean, details may be printed on a brick, but the whole brick isn't painted over to change its color). So if we have access to the same exact chroming technology that Lego is using, why is this even an issue? By custom chroming, we simply go from "a genuine Lego piece" to "a genuine Lego piece chromed just the way Lego would chrome it if it chose to". But when you spray-paint a piece, what you get is something Lego has never done.

I agree in your point of view. Personally, I don't see any problem changing a part in a way that Lego would do themselves. However, I am not sure that Lego never paint parts. What about the panels on 8007 C-3PO?

19 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

However, I am not sure that Lego never paint parts. What about the panels on 8007 C-3PO?

They're not painted. They're cast in metallic gold colored plastic (as you can check), a plastic used in 163 various sets as of 2017. Here: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp?utm_content=subnav

Now you can be safely sure.

Edited by Sariel

40 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

However, I am not sure that Lego never paint parts.

They do that, a lot, when designers are testing color schemes on preliminary models.

Sometime the color they need for some parts are not in production.

None. They're not painted, they're chromed. Not the same thing (chroming involves baking).

4 minutes ago, Sariel said:

None. They're not painted, they're chromed. Not the same thing (chroming involves baking).

The silver parts are chromed?

I am talking about the silver parts from the 41999 set.

11 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I am talking about the silver parts from the 41999 set.

They're cast in metallic silver plastic, here, go check yourself: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=41999-1

With all due respect folks, are we now going to argue about every unusual Lego color you find (metallic silver comes in over various Lego 400 sets, by the way)? LEGO DOES NOT PAINT PIECES. When in doubt, consult the Lego colors: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogColors.asp?utm_content=subnav

Edited by Sariel

Just now, Sariel said:

They're cast in metallic silver plastic, here, go check yourself: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=41999-1

With all due respect folks, are we now going to argue about every unusual Lego color you find (metallic silver comes in over various Lego 400 sets, by the way)? LEGO DOES NOT PAINT PIECES.

I only asked the question about them being painted, because that was what I read somewhere back when the 41999 came out. The silver liftams from that set seem to have a slightly different feel to them than some other silver parts that I have.

I am also pretty certain that the metallic silver wheels on a few of the large F1 cars (8674 and 8461) are painted silver. I bought a used 8461 and was trying to clean the wheels and rubbed some of the paint off of one. I also have wheels where the front of the wheel is silver and the back is plain.

Edited by Meatman

6 minutes ago, Meatman said:

The silver liftams from that set seem to have a slightly different feel to them than some other silver parts that I have.

Perhaps because there are several variants of the Lego silver colors, as you can check using the link I provided.

2 minutes ago, Meatman said:

I am also pretty certain that the metallic silver wheels on a few of the large F1 cars (8674 and 8461) are painted silver. I bought a used 8461 and was trying to get the stickers and and rubbed the paint off.

I own a set of 4 of these wheels and I'm sure the rims are not painted. I've been used them for years and nicked them many times, if there was a paint to come off, it would do so already. Not to mention their color matches other Lego silver metallic pieces perfectly.

I don't know how many more rumors are there that you want other people to verify for you, the essential question is: why on Earth would Lego paint a piece risking the paint coming off after a while, when they can simply cast it whole in the color of their choosing?

Edited by Sariel

LEGO used to chrome parts in the past and bits of chrome would flake off.  Given the safety focus of toys and parents these days, it is highly unlikely they'll use any kind of coating (such as paint) that can come off and be ingested by young children in current and upcoming sets.

Anyway if you ever get selected or have the opportunity to build something to display at LEGO, you'll have to go purist:

Projects may only contain genuine, un-cut or modified LEGO® bricks. Proposals for new LEGO parts (of any material), competing brand building bricks, or “aftermarket” elements manufactured and sold by any third party are not allowed.

Perhaps, full disclosure should be included with every MOC presentation.  :wink:

Just now, Sariel said:

Perhaps because there are several variants of the Lego silver colors, as you can check using the link I provided.

I own a set of 4 of these wheels and I'm sure the rims are not painted. I've been used them for years and nicked them many times, if there was a paint to come off, it would do so already. Not to mention their color matches other Lego silver metallic pieces perfectly.

Then how do you explain the front of a wheel being Silver and the back not? if they're molded in that color, then then entire wheel would be the same.

4 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Then how do you explain the front of a wheel being Silver and the back not? if they're molded in that color, then then entire wheel would be the same.

What are you talking about? I'm looking at these rims right now and they ARE ALL THE SAME, from all sides. Here, look:

20170513_191307.jpg

Edited by Sariel

12 minutes ago, Sariel said:

What are you talking about? I'm looking at these rims right now and they ARE ALL THE SAME, from all sides. I can post pics.

I know that on one of my F1 cars that the insides of the wheels don't look like the front silver surface. I am very certain that it is the wheels from the 8674. When I get home, I will double check them.

HERE someone is selling wheels from that set and you can see the inside is different from the outside. Do your wheels from your 8674 look like this?

Edited by Meatman

It looks like one side of these wheels got yellowed from exposure to sun, or maybe bleached when being cleaned? This is 11 years old plastic you're talking about, you know. My 8880 wheels, which were originally pure white, are quite yellow today.

You can even see it in the Bricklink's catalog photo that new tires from 8674 are same color all over: https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=22969&idColor=67#T=C&C=67

Edited by Sariel

And what about the white edges on the black wheels from the 41999? Are those painted white or is that just printing? I know one of my wheels had some white scratched off. That doesn't normally happen as easily with printing.

1 minute ago, Meatman said:

And what about the white edges on the black wheels from the 41999? Are those painted white or is that just printing? I know one of my wheels had some white scratched off. That doesn't normally happen as easily with printing.

Again, Mr. Conspiracy Theory, let me help you with a link: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=41999-1

They may be printed or painted, I don't know, but my bet would be on printing. Some Lego wheel covers have colored edges too, same technology, I'm guessing printing is cheaper - but I may be wrong.

Are you running out of arguments and we're now going to discuss every Lego piece that has more than 1 color on it? The point being?

Edited by Sariel

Just now, Sariel said:

It looks like one side of these wheels got yellowed from exposure to sun, or maybe bleached when being cleaned? This is 11 years old plastic you're talking about, you know. My 8880 wheels, which were originally pure white, are quite yellow today.

It's highly unlikely that the insides of the wheels would get exposure to sunlight faster than the outside surface.

Just now, Meatman said:

It's highly unlikely that the insides of the wheels would get exposure to sunlight faster than the outside surface.

That's exactly what makes it likely. These wheels probably spent some time in the sun placed front down, so only the back got exposed to the sun. It's being yellowed from both sides equally that's unlikely.

Then again, don't take my word for it: here's the photo of these rims from Bricklink itself:

22969.png

Just now, Sariel said:

Again, Mr. Conspiracy Theory, let me help you with a link: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemInv.asp?S=41999-1

They may be printed or painted, I don't know, but my bet would be on printing. Some Lego wheel covers have colored edges too, same technology, I'm guessing printing is cheaper. Are you running out of arguments and we're now going to discuss every Lego piece that has more than 1 color on it? The point being?

Well Mr Know-it-all, you are saying that LEGO DOES NOT PAINT PIECES. And that isn't true. I even showed you an example and you are trying to save face by saying that they are bleached or sun damaged.

Just now, Meatman said:

I even showed you an example and you are trying to save face by saying that they are bleached or sun damaged.

Yeah, you even showed me a 11 years old piece of plastic that may have been bleached or peed on by a dog for all we know. But when I show you the same exact part in Bricklink's catalog, you won't even comment on that, because who would bother with facts, right?

22969.png

Just now, Sariel said:

That's exactly what makes it likely. These wheels probably spent some time in the sun placed front down, so only the back got exposed to the sun. It's being yellowed from both sides equally that's unlikely.

Then again, don't take my word for it: here's the photo of these rims from Bricklink itself:

22969.png

I already told you that some wheels are silver on the inside and some are only silver on the surface.