Sign in to follow this  
Takanuinuva

What was the reason behind Lego Scooby Doo?

I find it odd for Lego to release a wave of Scooby Doo sets that didn't seem to tie in with any recent cartoon. Does anyone have an explanation as to why this happened?

The newest Scooby-Doo series (Be Cool, Scooby Doo) released in October 2015 from what I've read online. The LEGO line coincided with that, but was probably based on classic Scooby designs to interest an older nostalgia crowd.

Well, I now think it was because of Dimensions, though maybe not completely on that alone.

Perhaps as Scooby Doo was being considered for Dimensions( if that indeed came first), Lego designers knew that Dimensions products could not be stretched out to the entire gang (something that was very necessary), so they asked Lego if they could design sets for only a single wave. 

Too bad it wasn't successful enough to warrant a second wave, but I think only one was planned in mind anyway.

A WAG( Warner Animation Group) produced animated Scooby film was slated for theatrical release next year, but has been now pushed back to 2020. I was expecting possible Lego sets for then, but now, not until then.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Kids still like it + parents remember it with nostalgia = money.

It was fun? I mean.. nostalgia alone, it was fun! I bought the mystery machine set and didn't really bother with the other sets. 

They had planned it all the way back since 2010ish, made Monster Fighters first in 2012, then the theme to coincide with Be Cool, Scooby Doo,  though I'm not sure how intentional it was since Scooby was based on the classic cartoons.

That same year (2015) Wal-Mart released a DVD exclusive called Favorite Frights which, coincidently, lined with the villains used in the sets. None of us could pinpoint where the Sea Creature came from because they used a different character - no one knows why. But this DVD release helped us to finalize these cartoon sources of Scooby Doo sets:

Here is the full episode list:

1. What a Night for a Knight (featuring the Black Knight from the Mystery Mansion set)

2. Hassle in the Castle (featuring the phantom from the Mystery Mansion set)

3. A Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts (featuring the vampire from the Mystery Mansion set)

4. Scooby-Doo and a Mummy Too (featuring the mummy from the Mummy Museum Mystery set)

5. Which Witch is Which? (featuring the zombie from the Mystery Machine set)

6. Fright House of a Lighthouse (featuring the Creepy Keeper from the Haunted Lighthouse set)

7. The Headless Horseman of Halloween (featuring the Headless Horseman from the Mystery Plane Adventures set)

8. Scoo-Be or not Scoo-Be? (new to DVD, featuring the sea beast from the Haunted Lighthouse set)