Anders T

HMS Ontario version 2

The first MOC I uploaded was a model of the British snow (snau) HMS Ontario.

Recently I decided to do a second version of the same ship.

During this process I noticed some small square holes between the gunports.

uel8p2g.jpg.6e08ef76b80c82ff65f9c9f5c4b98fe3.jpg

Researching this, I found out they were called “sweep ports”, and supposedly allowed the ship to be rowed.

So I decided to experiment with oars.

34562260005_64f094fac3_c.jpgHMS Ontario version2 med årer .lxf by Anders Thuesen, on Flickr

34562293335_601d649e0f_b.jpgHMS Ontario version2 med årer bagfra.lxf by Anders Thuesen, on Flickr

However I have never seen a model of a similar ship (sloop, brig, snow or frigate) with oars mounted.

Why is that?

A model of the HMS Ontario without oars would look something like this.

34400628922_01a94b53ed_b.jpgHMS Ontario version2 uden årer.lxf by Anders Thuesen, on Flickr

34562324355_53505aac92_b.jpgHMS Ontario version2 uden årer styrbord.lxf by Anders Thuesen, on Flickr

Oars/No oars… What is the best choice?

The timing of this is uncanny. Just yesterday I was looking for inspiration for  a future project. I did a google search for "Brig Sloop" and a few images in I came across your old Ontario. It got me thinking I might want to do something on the same subject, so started looking into her. Now today, you pop up with this version. If some of the information I stumbled upon in this search you indirectly inspired, it may solve a dilemma I've been mulling over for some time. Does a Snow still qualify as a 6th Rate/Post Ship? 

I do like this improved version. Much of her seems refined. The stern gallery stands out to me. Never really noticed before but I'm digging the 3X3 gun ports. They seem pretty part consuming, but they look excellent. The sweeps are a great touch, so often overlooked. Though I think they lend a certain liveliness to her overall, almost like they are in motion, I don’t know about displaying her with them in place. If I'm guessing right they only stick straight out? It'd be better if they rested at an angle, where I think most would expect to see them. Perhaps, try doing one side with and one without? That's a pretty common thing on museum models. 

Great Snow! I'm not gonna go on about every little detail, but those pumps look interesting - a closeup maybe?

For your question - I couldn't find much, but I've found a model with the sweeps out. They are uncommon, but do exist. I think in the end it would be a decision of personal preference. 

@kurigan While can't answer your question exactly, I can say some things. There have been many Barque rigged Frigates - so 5th and 6th rates don't necessarily have to be ship rigged. But while I don't trust 3decks 100%, I expected the exact same thing they did - simply not counting the guns not on the quarterdeck of the brig/snow. I would think its simply a thing of prestige of limiting the 6th rates to 3 masted vessels. Another example of not counting all guns could be the supposedly 20/22 gun brig Mercury (or should we trust Russian Wikipedia? It says 18 guns...).

Great scot! Blimey, this is amazing! I had seen something like this before, so I went on a search party and found your MOC pages profile, and I had it right. You are that awesome guy who makes these completely accurate ship-hulls out of lego. Your ships of the line are stunning. Chapeau, mate!

I know this technical drawing myself, since I tried to recreate it with a 3D program, and I must congratulate you on this accuracy. I don't think there's a better model. The detail on the decks, the red under the gunports, the guns itself, as if somebody picked a few pixels and made an unsharp photograph of the ship itself. You're really good. :pir-wink:

On 10/5/2017 at 3:30 AM, kurigan said:

The timing of this is uncanny. Just yesterday I was looking for inspiration for  a future project. I did a google search for "Brig Sloop" and a few images in I came across your old Ontario. It got me thinking I might want to do something on the same subject, so started looking into her. Now today, you pop up with this version. If some of the information I stumbled upon in this search you indirectly inspired, it may solve a dilemma I've been mulling over for some time. Does a Snow still qualify as a 6th Rate/Post Ship? 

I do like this improved version. Much of her seems refined. The stern gallery stands out to me. Never really noticed before but I'm digging the 3X3 gun ports. They seem pretty part consuming, but they look excellent. The sweeps are a great touch, so often overlooked. Though I think they lend a certain liveliness to her overall, almost like they are in motion, I don’t know about displaying her with them in place. If I'm guessing right they only stick straight out? It'd be better if they rested at an angle, where I think most would expect to see them. Perhaps, try doing one side with and one without? That's a pretty common thing on museum models. 

Rating a snow I think Legostone has it right, and furthermore.

Snow referrers to the arrangement of masts, but arranging the masts in a snow fashion was usually because the ship was too small for three masts to be practical.

Whether a snow would be unrated or considered a 6th rater would be determined by her potential armament. I consider HMS Ontario an unrated vessel.

Design Designing something like this with bricks is always a question of experience. I’ll probably look at her again a couple of years from now and decide to do a 3rd version.:pir_wacko:

The sweeps are sticking straight out. Thanks for noticing, I think about making gravity (my archenemy:pir-cry_sad:) an ally in this case. Let them rest in a loose fit.

On 10/5/2017 at 11:56 AM, Legostone said:

Great Snow! I'm not gonna go on about every little detail, but those pumps look interesting - a closeup maybe?

For your question - I couldn't find much, but I've found a model with the sweeps out. They are uncommon, but do exist. I think in the end it would be a decision of personal preference. 

@kurigan While can't answer your question exactly, I can say some things. There have been many Barque rigged Frigates - so 5th and 6th rates don't necessarily have to be ship rigged. But while I don't trust 3decks 100%, I expected the exact same thing they did - simply not counting the guns not on the quarterdeck of the brig/snow. I would think its simply a thing of prestige of limiting the 6th rates to 3 masted vessels. Another example of not counting all guns could be the supposedly 20/22 gun brig Mercury (or should we trust Russian Wikipedia? It says 18 guns...).

Sweeps Thanks man, that was exactly what I needed to see.:thumbup::sweet:

Pumps Nothing fancy. They are similar to the ones on my HDMS Lougen design. LDD file found here:http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/356786

On 11/5/2017 at 0:01 AM, Captain Edward said:

Great scot! Blimey, this is amazing! I had seen something like this before, so I went on a search party and found your MOC pages profile, and I had it right. You are that awesome guy who makes these completely accurate ship-hulls out of lego. Your ships of the line are stunning. Chapeau, mate!

I know this technical drawing myself, since I tried to recreate it with a 3D program, and I must congratulate you on this accuracy. I don't think there's a better model. The detail on the decks, the red under the gunports, the guns itself, as if somebody picked a few pixels and made an unsharp photograph of the ship itself. You're really good. :pir-wink:

Thanks. My aim is to make a brick model similar to a wooden model. My process is quite similar to what 3D artists do: Planning-measuring-perseverance. You know it*huh*

On 11/5/2017 at 6:47 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

That doesn't look like snow at all.

That totally looks like a ship.

(*snicker*)

Every flake is unique:grin:

Edited by Anders T

Great MOC!

To answer your question about why sweeps (oars) were used with this ship is mostly to do with location. The lower Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario) are traditionally much calmer waters than you would typically find in an ocean. It is quite common for wind to die down completely on these lakes, leaving sailing ships becalmed. There are a few instances of sweeps (oars) being used during battles, chases or pursuits in lake engagements during the War of 1812. Generally, sweeps were very much an auxiliary source of propulsion; Sails were predominantly used.

Thanks man

She is currently on display at a museum.

I made that a separate topic above. I have built the oars, but for now, mainly due to size issues, she has no oars.

Edited by Anders T

Fantastic work! Indeed some of these ships came with oars, imagine having to row that...

I do see one possible improvement, the gallerie windows should be angled. Seeing how you made them it should be possible to put the yellow plates offset around the glass. I hope that makes sense.

On 6/6/2017 at 11:50 PM, findthefox said:

Great MOC!

To answer your question about why sweeps (oars) were used with this ship is mostly to do with location. The lower Great Lakes (Erie and Ontario) are traditionally much calmer waters than you would typically find in an ocean. It is quite common for wind to die down completely on these lakes, leaving sailing ships becalmed. There are a few instances of sweeps (oars) being used during battles, chases or pursuits in lake engagements during the War of 1812. Generally, sweeps were very much an auxiliary source of propulsion; Sails were predominantly used.

This was my understanding of brigs rigged with oars ... That they were either river faring or lake boats and would therefore need to be rowed due to lack of inland wind

@Anders TThe model is simply amazing ... Glad to see its getting museum time.  Its odd that Ive also stumbled upon your ontario in my searches ... I like this version ... While on the subject of oars ... I think if displayed with them they would look better slanted forward or back as if being rowed as opposed to sticking straight out ...