BrickMonkeyMOCs

Modified 75175 A-Wing

I was impressed enough by the new 75175 A-Wing set enough to buy it, but there are several flaws that can be addressed resulting in a much improved model. One aesthetic issue that stood out even from the earliest released images is the stepped transition of the curved slopes on the top of the hull. And while I really like the new fin parts and the attempt to angle them inwards, the official set's solution results in too much angle, a flimsy connection, and rather odd-looking brick-built engines. The landing gear is also less than ideal, with rear struts that don't fully retract and a front strut mounted higher than the rear, resulting in the model sitting very nose-down when landed. So I've addressed all of these points and included a few extra improvements to produce the version below.

34158602320_33edf5582d.jpg

Features:

• Removed slope transition on top hull
  • Brick-built engines replaced with cylinder bricks
  • Engines/fins connected securely at corrected angle
  • Fully retractable rear landing gear
  • Front landing gear lowers to same height as rear
  • Wider mounting of laser cannons
  • Engine detail included under rear cover

FREE LDraw instructions HERE.

The 75175 A wing is a real letdown compared to the 75150. It's quiet simply inferior.

The only thing it does better is more modern looking canons compared to the big round thinks on the 75150 version.

So yes i welcome your mods (except for the wider guns), they look really niceĀ  :), sadly i will never try them myself as the set is rediculously overpriced to justify a second one.

2 hours ago, firefox said:

The 75175 A wing is a real letdown compared to the 75150. It's quiet simply inferior.

The only thing it does better is more modern looking canons compared to the big round thinks on the 75150 version.

So yes i welcome your mods (except for the wider guns), they look really niceĀ  :), sadly i will never try them myself as the set is rediculously overpriced to justify a second one.

Fair enough. The set is definitely a bit over-priced, and I didn't get 75150 so I wouldn't know how the two compare. My last A-Wing was 75003, and the new set is definitely a step up from that version.

I have all but the original and 75150, and this is probably the least accurate of the bunch. None of mine stay stock, all of them have been modified, but this probably took the most work out of the box to get close to the right proportions. I did most of the same mods as you, minus the engine, but I did remove the spring shooters and unsightly firing mechanisms.