Sign in to follow this  
Dafgek81

Making opening doors in older MOC

I have build the Actros  from www.brickforge.de  I am planning a second one, but this time as a Swedish log transporter, with a crane on the back of the truck and a 4 or 5 axle drawbar trailer behind it.

This time I also want to make opening doors in the cab, but I don't know how to get good opening doors. I have seen more 1:13 models with opening doors, but can't find good pictures off the opening mechanism for the doors.

Due to the thickness of the brick door, you'll need a double hinge to open the door. An other method is you fit plates and tiles on the side so you'll have some more space between the door and the cab. I hope this helps you figure something out that will work for your model.

14 hours ago, Legorigs said:

Due to the thickness of the brick door, you'll need a double hinge to open the door. An other method is you fit plates and tiles on the side so you'll have some more space between the door and the cab. I hope this helps you figure something out that will work for your model.

I have seen double hinge plates on doors, but my real question is how to implement then. I have seen on pictures that it is done, but when I enlarge such a picture it gets to blurry to see how it is done exactly. So if you or someone else has a good, clear and large picture off this, would be a great help.

Well, there isn't a one for all solution. The amount of space in your model is key in this. In the model of the Actros you mention, the corners of the cabin are made out of macaroni bricks. In real the door starts very close to the front, so you don't have much space to get your hinges in.

What did you try already?

Doors are usually done like this, and this is how I am working on my one currently:

800x423.jpg

Note the cut-out section where it is two studs across at the bottom. If you take it all the way to the edge the door will not open, but like this it will not have any issues.

800x423.jpg

800x423.jpg

In a way to try and get the hinges closer to the curved bricks, you can place the hinges in between the curved bricks and just live with the small imperfection on the front.

I hope this helps :classic:

And in a double hinge configuration, how will that go.

23 hours ago, Legorigs said:

Well, there isn't a one for all solution. The amount of space in your model is key in this. In the model of the Actros you mention, the corners of the cabin are made out of macaroni bricks. In real the door starts very close to the front, so you don't have much space to get your hinges in.

What did you try already?

Well nothing in real bricks yet, searching red parts to build the can, have to reconfigure a large part of the can, first time I am going to do this. But am looking at a lot off models and opening doors to figure out how it's done, but good pictures off these are rare.

I've started on the base of the cabin, will see if I can use Kiwi_Builder s solution. And will also look into a double hinge haven't n, figured out yet how to place it.

The cab  is 2 studs longer then the original and it will be a megaspace cabin. So it will be higher then the original to.

In this version I use panels 1x1 corner and 1x2 (in red). The idea is to make the hinge pivot on the 2x2 corner plates (in yellow here). Due to the panels you got some room to let te hinged-plate pivot. I placed a few 1x1 round plates to space out the hinges. The 2x2 I would place in the door. Alter to your needs.

hinge1.jpg

Edited by Legorigs

20170506_173200.jpg20170506_173204.jpg20170506_173220.jpg20170506_173234.jpg

Sorry that the pictures are sideways, I have started my Bricksafe account just now. But this is a part of the cabine, the colourmix is because I didn't have enough parts to build it completely red and dark gray.Hope this clears some things up a bit. the lbg and black plates on the side are just for temp bracing.

Well, I have found a solution for the doors. I will post new pictures when I have time to upload them to Bricksafe. Worked out nicely IMO. But you people may be the judge of that when I have posted the pictures. 

Now I will have to figure out how to build up the rest of the Megaspace can around the opening doors.

Edited by Dafgek81

1920x1440.jpg1920x1440.jpg800x450.jpg

Well, here's the result so far, quite happy with it. what do you people think of it???