MKJoshA

May 2017: Star Wars Thrawn Contest

8 hours ago, Darth Stripy said:

I have a question. how do you upload photos from flickr. tried inserting from url, didn't work

I  had the same problem once. So all you do is click on the photo. Then you click on the arrow, after that go to bbcode. Then choose your size. Then copy and paste the text.

10 hours ago, Darth Stripy said:

I have a question. how do you upload photos from flickr. tried inserting from url, didn't work

You can also check out this tutorial.

15 hours ago, Darth Stripy said:

How does the voting go and when?

Based on Anthology contest, voting starts the day after the contest ends and runs for 2 weeks.

19 hours ago, Darth Stripy said:

How does the voting go and when?

3 hours ago, dulsi said:

Based on Anthology contest, voting starts the day after the contest ends and runs for 2 weeks.

It'll probably take me a few more days to get voting together, but soon after it ends I'll have it up! And yes, it'll run for 2 weeks.

13 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I feel like joining but my plans are too large to be executable :sadnew:

That's not a good reason. My build needed a large tree, an AT-ST, a Tie Fighter, and some Star Wars minifigures. I didn't even have Thrawn. I could have taken apart a MOC which had many brown pieces but instead tried to build something with what little I had.  All the Star Wars figures are borrowed from my sons as I have only a couple which wouldn't work. I did give up on making the AT-ST's legs move but that is the sort of reasonable compromise. You could even do a micro build for your plans if they are too large.

14 hours ago, dulsi said:

That's not a good reason. My build needed a large tree, an AT-ST, a Tie Fighter, and some Star Wars minifigures. I didn't even have Thrawn. I could have taken apart a MOC which had many brown pieces but instead tried to build something with what little I had.  All the Star Wars figures are borrowed from my sons as I have only a couple which wouldn't work. I did give up on making the AT-ST's legs move but that is the sort of reasonable compromise. You could even do a micro build for your plans if they are too large.

Great how much energy you put in :grin:

But it can be difficult with limited time and parts. I actually wanted to make a space battle, but ran out of parts, so I'll have to overthrow the original concept completely. But I do have something in mind - as long as I'll be able to post pictures somewhere I'll compete for sure :classic:

On 11.6.2017 at 1:22 PM, VaderFan2187 said:

Hmm only 6 entries... I feel like joining but my plans are too large to be executable :sadnew:

I'm positive at least 10 are possible - and you can help with it :thumbup:

8 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

I'm positive at least 10 are possible - and you can help with it :thumbup:

I'll try... if I miss the deadline I'll post it as a MOC anyway :)

35 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I'll try... if I miss the deadline I'll post it as a MOC anyway :)

I will also try I already started but its not that good.

3 hours ago, LEGORACER1 said:

I will also try I already started but its not that good.

So what. My desk for Thrawn is too big. The ship interior doesn't look as good as others. I forgot to put some finishing touches on the AT-ST. I keep thinking of redesigning the legs to try to make them move. Hopefully I'll find the time to tweak it and retake the images but even if I don't I made an entry.

A good space battle would be an interesting build. Limited time is certainly a problem. For parts you could make a digital entry. I know VaderFan has some proficiency with that. I think it looks better to use physical bricks plus then you know it works in practice but sometimes you just don't have the bricks. I was pleased I was able to create something that looked like the AT-ST with my bricks. I even discovered I had the pieces the Lego AT-ST used for the feet after I built my solution with the inverted wedges. But I liked that I had a different solution to the problem.

9 hours ago, Darth Stripy said:

Can the participants vote? 

Based on previous contest voting thread I would say yes. It included this rule:

You cannot vote for your own entry!

So here's a quick question on the rules (quite late into the contest but might as well) Since it says "digital builds" would that include 3rd party software too? Not ldd. I've been experimenting with Stud.io from bricklink and I have to say I find the interface a lot friendlier to me. It also has a built in renderer which would make my life so much easier for presentation. Honestly, it is far more limiting with the minifig aspect, but technically all the parts would exist if you removed the print... If you want to stick too LDD for this, I can still do that. Just wondering though.

~Beltar

Awesome to see enough participants!

Since work hindered me from building anything other than my Thrawn's office MOC (which lacks 4 studs in lengh for now..); I reused my medevil village- hope that'll work as well.
I'll try very hard to post tomorrow, once I've found a suitable background.

5 hours ago, Commander Beltar said:

So here's a quick question on the rules (quite late into the contest but might as well) Since it says "digital builds" would that include 3rd party software too? Not ldd. I've been experimenting with Stud.io from bricklink and I have to say I find the interface a lot friendlier to me. It also has a built in renderer which would make my life so much easier for presentation. Honestly, it is far more limiting with the minifig aspect, but technically all the parts would exist if you removed the print... If you want to stick too LDD for this, I can still do that. Just wondering though.

~Beltar

Other digital software should be fine. The quality of the render is what will bring you more votes. Just make sure to only use parts in existing colors.

7 entries. Can y'all extend the deadline again? :snicker:

I don't think I have the time to join before the current deadline, sorry. Also I think the Anthology contests should be unpinned?

Edited by VaderFan2187