1 hour ago, MangaNOID said:

fix the truck, it looks awesome and can't be that bad crawling? Or Just edit the video real well haha.

I thought about that and might do that.:grin:

well, it's pretty quiet in here... but I think I'm done.

The PNEUnimog haha!

IMG_2421.jpg 

IMG_2422.jpg 

Ill save further details and vid for the official entry.

Edited by MangaNOID

Lovely rugged look!

And erm, do i see a skid steering switch mechanism with pneumatic? 

I really love your "i don't have a receiver, but i will make it work, attitude"  good job!

Curious to see your video!

Here's a quick teaser of my creation: 

8258-B Crawler

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

Comparison next to the original 8258-B

800x450.jpg

It's only a teaser so far, because in the first video I made it was waaay too quick which made precision crawling near impossible. I have since geared it down to three times slower (thus three times torquier) as in the photos but not made a video yet.

Hope you like :thumbup:

@MangaNOID and @JTS, pure awesomeness both models! The PneUnimog is really hardcore, and the choice of 8258 B-model... damn, that pick-up looks badass.

1 hour ago, JTS said:

Here's a quick teaser of my creation: 

8258-B Crawler

It's only a teaser so far, because in the first video I made it was waaay too quick which made precision crawling near impossible. I have since geared it down to three times slower (thus three times torquier) as in the photos but not made a video yet.

Hope you like :thumbup:

That strongly reminds me 42029, but looks way better and even more solid and consistent! I'd like to say that your chassis just perfectly fits 8258-B hull. The masterpiece :thumbup:
Damn... How could I decide which one is the best... You already ruined me :grin:

Edited by Void_S

thanks all, for kind comments. I'm filming today... if i can learn how to control this beast!

@Marxpek not skid steer but your pretty much right. would love to see a skid steer pneumatic axel with a single ball swivel to chassis! would be a big beast maybe.

@JTS looks awesome! not seen this set before either.

Wow, good idea about 8258 B model!

I'm impressed.

And the 'mog looks like it just came from a Polish trucktrial, awesome.

total rebuild happening here!

the PNEUnimog could easily handle the bumpy carpet test, but out in the real trial truck world it failed.

things changing include...solid axles instead of diffs. get rid of the chain drive in the transfer case (I have learned!) lift the ball joints back up to accommodate full cog power transfer, relocate motors, disregard center of gravity, have both motors powering forward and reverse plus left and right all at the same time for maximum power, try to limit colour vomit. cancel work, social engagements, feeding the toddler, only drink cola and eat coffee granules to reduce the need for sleep.

img_2445.jpg 

img_2446.jpg

For sure the creativity and effort award is yours! but please don't cancel feeding the toddler ;D

I hope you can make it work! i really wanna see this in action! good luck!

8 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

total rebuild happening here!

the PNEUnimog could easily handle the bumpy carpet test, but out in the real trial truck world it failed.

things changing include...solid axles instead of diffs. get rid of the chain drive in the transfer case (I have learned!) lift the ball joints back up to accommodate full cog power transfer, relocate motors, disregard center of gravity, have both motors powering forward and reverse plus left and right all at the same time for maximum power, try to limit colour vomit. cancel work, social engagements, feeding the toddler, only drink cola and eat coffee granules to reduce the need for sleep.

I find you only need to get rid of the centre diff and keep the ones powering each axle. Unless you're driving on sand, too much tension build up when turning without diffs because the outer wheels are rotating quicker than the inside ones, which results in many twisted technic axles :(

Certainly, the likelihood of one wheel loosing traction is quite high when crawling over obstacles (meaning a diff will send all the power to the airborne wheel), but if your suspension is soft enough then there should always be both of the wheels on the second axle touching the ground to push your crawler onwards!

1 minute ago, JTS said:

much tension build up when turning without diffs

I chose to go without diffs right from the start with my 8048 crawler, The less non linear gears the better, was the idea behind it, surely some axles will be bent and steering isn't great, but i imagine when driving a real crawler you will face similar problems.

When I went outside with it and surely wheels went up in the air and wheels where slipping all over the place, fighting to get grip on wet rocks, grass and sand, so i think no diffs is fine in crawlers but i'm no expert.., a diff lock would be perfect but a bit bulky in Lego.

On 5/19/2017 at 8:03 AM, MangaNOID said:

well, it's pretty quiet in here... but I think I'm done.

The PNEUnimog haha!

img_2421.jpg 

img_2422.jpg 

Ill save further details and vid for the official entry.

Are others able to see these images?  I assume so b/c there are comments.... but I cannot see them.

@nerdsforprez thanks for letting me know. i just moved the images to bricksafe as brickshelf is seemingly having troubles or moving servers. 

@JTS and @Marxpek ill keep the diffs out for now as i really want this to work outside in sand and dirt and grass etc. if I break an axle so be it. ill take the diffs with me though and try them when i go filming (again) to see any performance difference. this is not being built to work indoors. i will only be satisfied with good outdoor performance and an incline climb of 1in1 or 45 degree. if that means missing the deadline so be it too (although its looking promising to finish tonight if i have time) i'm just enjoying the challenge of building this as I have not done this before.

hopefully it will do half of what  MARXPEK'S 'rune buggy' and ZERO'S Porsche 4x4 can do. cant wait to see others in action.

Edited by MangaNOID

13 hours ago, letsbuild said:

Don't forget to send me an entry of your models! The deadline is coming up!

Yeah, still working. I am trying to find a way with only regular springs.

Entry sent ,  here's the topic anyway if anyone's interested

800x533.jpg

Edited by LXF

PM sent...

A bit late but I've been really busy!  Most people would think to crawlify the B-Model of 42038 but no says I!!  It was a challenge to keep all the functions but add all 4-wheel drive, 4-wheel steering and be remote controlled.  Although, the functions are still manual since I had to remove the gears that allow motorizing the functions to allow for the steering shaft even though I was tempted to motorize them anyway.  (Had to keep it clean looking)  I used PP wheels to flesh out the Claas tires so they didn't look so skinny.  It was fun to build and a blast to play with too!

20170526_192610.jpg

20170526_192456.jpg

Sorry for the crappy phone vid; not much time to take it.  And all the crunching is the truck crawling over the plants and sticks and such, lol.  I can take another video if anyone wants to see the torque output (it can climb a 3" "wall" straight on no probs)

Edited by leinaud

The 8258-B now has a video and a topic!
Entry will be submitted in a couple of minutes.

800x450.jpg

This is the cut-off for entries. I will no longer be accepting entries. In a bit you will see a new topic appear called "[AMS-1] Voting". You may vote in the poll after you have read all the entries.

Cheers,

Let's Build!

Sucks that I didn't see this earlier @letsbuild .

I do have a crawlified set, and I will post it here if you don't mind, even though the deadline was looong ago.

There it is. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.

Brickbybrick.

Not sure what happend to this challenge, hope letsbuild is ok.

my PNEUnimog was a bit of a flop to be honest even though I entered it. Here is the vid. Currently undergoing sbrick or buwizz upgrade with single motor drive and chassis and suspension upgrades and getting rid of these woeful pneumatic controls!

we have similar music tastes @JTS :laugh:

Edited by MangaNOID

4 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

Not sure what happend to this challenge, hope letsbuild is ok.

My guess is that @letsbuild is waiting for the voting system to be fixed.