I need all the hope I can Aventador!

couple more WIP photos. This may not be technic brilliance but it's the first (and thus most complicated) clutch/gearbox thingy (slightly incomplete in the photos) I've ever designed in my short life back in technic so I'm happy. 

I got to do a few hours tonight with some bench/floor testing and it's looking/working ok! A bit unconventional overall maybe but I'm excited. It crawled.

img_2357.jpg

img_2358.jpg 

PS: I'm on my phone so I hope I resized the photos ok.

@MangaNOID that looks good, i am still unsure about entering. i am still thinking of ideas, also my parts came so i can use them too.

10 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Looks good so far. I just want to know what set it is! 

+1

@MangaNOID wow, those pictures make me curious (again..curious person here)

This thing will be unconventional making me even more curious!

All those gears, i've been working on reducing the number of gears in my crawler, but you took the other way! lovely to see different approaches!

Maybe i'll place a few pictures of my WIP (i rarely take pictures during the build when i am "in the zone") will be hard to cover up what set it is in the pictures, since my crawler is not the biggest around, but i will try, but the keen observer will most likely see what set it is!

You guys asked for it:

800x645.jpg

800x610.jpg

800x495.jpg

Powered by 4 XL motors and a servo.

Original steering and gearbox are also connected to the chassis, so they work too.

More info posted in seperate topic soon.

Why didn't Porsche make this in stead of that ugly cayenne?

Well done! does it perform well?

Here are 2 pictures of my WIP crawlified set, maybe someone can already recognize the set? :)

152jkhz.jpg

2dlljpf.jpg

still some work to be done, but getting closer! 

haha, kind of yes, but didn't Lego make like 6 of those? (pure guess) 

Oh my , I just knew that would happen ( pimped up porsche) . Looks rad with tractor thread tires. 

Marxpek , I don't know if I'm right , but on the photos it looks like you have attached the rear axle with vertically placed liftarms ( pin holes towards the top) . IF I'm right , that solution isn't as nearly as reliable as a beam with horizontally placed pin holes. 

10 minutes ago, LXF said:

Marxpek , I don't know if I'm right , but on the photos it looks like you have attached the rear axle with vertically placed liftarms ( pin holes towards the top) . IF I'm right , that solution isn't as nearly as reliable as a beam with horizontally placed pin holes. 

they are, the rear axle is one of the thing i consider to redesign, mainly because of its ground clearance at the center, however every beam is braced by either a 5 or 7L lift arm, it can survive a 0,5 meter drop without damage (most of the time..) the suspension works well and it goes like a truck.

but.... i recently found some new parts/inspiration which makes me consider to ditch the entire thing, and go bigger... there are 20 days left after all..

7 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

You guys asked for it:

that looks cool, Ill eat my words :classic: but whoah! what a wheel base on that thing! is the chassis modified to take a bending?

9 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I just want to know what set it is! 

I'll reveal all in one great big flop no doubt :sceptic:

9 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

, i am still unsure about entering. 

I think you should enter. I doubt anyone is entering to win, its just good fun and good to be challenged in something you may not usually build.

6 hours ago, Marxpek said:

Here are 2 pictures of my WIP crawlified set, 

that looks like one hell of an accomplished crawler! I think I'll call mine a trial truck now. yea I have a lot of gears between the motor and wheels as I need to get the gear ratio right for slow speed as I wont have throttle control without the PF transmitter/receiver 

59 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

I'll reveal all in one great big flop no doubt :sceptic:

I think you should enter. I doubt anyone is entering to win, its just good fun and good to be challenged in something you may not usually build.

I am working as you speak, I made the rear axle so far.

did some test runs and shot some video, but....

bcxzd.jpg

anyone had this problem and perhaps solved it?..

15 minutes ago, Marxpek said:

Try the portal hubs - you can gear-up your axles with them and reduce the stress for cardans.
92908c01.jpg (or any other similar custom assembly)

Edited by Void_S

yes i know but... i do not have them available now, i considered making something similar but that would be bulky and weak..

Ill have to break down a set my kid plays with almost daily (9398)..., which will make my kid mad/sad... but maybe if its for the greater cause, that is worth it? ;D  (but already stole the v2 receiver soo..)

But they will also make the entire thing wider i think, something i already did not really like in my design...

I'm not sure about the quality of the broken u-joint before it broke (it is the old longer version, i always lack parts...) i might try 1 more with the same setup, if that breaks i'll make my kid sad ;D but i kind of like the way it drives now...

In this case, you may:

1. Use smaller wheels: Claas tires are big and heavy that add a great stress to a transmission. Personally I never use them without portal reducers.
  2. Use some tread and reinforce the cardans by winding of a thin part - right where your previous one had broken. This modification is allowed even for the most of trial challenges.
Edited by Void_S

Or make your own portal hubs, which may end up even more compact. But the wheels will be held on by axle only without the pins.

thanks for the reply, but:

1: not an option to me, go big or go home ;D

2: could use Lego string for that maybe, this contest is all about 100% lego, and i have 2 lego strings in displayed sets, but thats about it...

already decided, my 4 y/o girl is going to be mad for a week or 2 maybe (yes i am letting her have her way with all my Lego, raising her to be a Technic fan at the price of loosing some parts)

Even though the portal hubs will make it wider by 2 studs total, they will also raise the ground clearance by 2 studs, which would please me.

@Zero (Zblj) the wheels are connected like that now, doesn't give any problem (yet), i think the hubs are the best solution..but maybe i can make my own (smaller) hubs, i'll try 

7 hours ago, Marxpek said:

did some test runs and shot some video, but....

bcxzd.jpg

i think it is the joint was old. i have several that have have had 300+ rpm and 1-2 pounds of weight on them, and only one out of the 7 has come out of the small socket, it is repaired easily. i think you just need new uni joints. 

32 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

i think it is the joint was old

for sure it was old as it is the longer version, replaced all old u-joints for new style ones, was needed for correct geometry also.

But i decided to do it the correct way with portal hubs and the extra gearing helps a lot for its performance, now i am using the 12t-20t setup. but i was wondering: can i also use 8t-24t gear setup within the portal hubs? or would an XL-motor break the 8t gear?

Just now, Marxpek said:

for sure it was old as it is the longer version, replaced all old u-joints for new style ones, was needed for correct geometry also.

But i decided to do it the correct way with portal hubs and the extra gearing helps a lot for its performance, now i am using the 12t-20t setup. but i was wondering: can i also use 8t-24t gear setup within the portal hubs? or would an XL-motor break the 8t gear?

XL will not break the new version of the 8 tooth gear.

that is the darker grey one with the small bevel on it? 

Just now, Marxpek said:

that is the darker grey one with the small bevel on it? 

The small one with rdiges that extend across the whole width.