Ah yes i am familiar with that issue, I thought it was to get more traction on the surface we are driving on. ( 2 rubber bands in the rim work as well, gives a slight unbalanced tire, but that's no issue with low speeds, but not a lego solution)

1 hour ago, letsbuild said:

As long as they're Lego rubber bands.

They are lego bands / rainbow loom bands ( a cheaper version of lego ones).

2 hours ago, Aventador2004 said:

They are lego bands / rainbow loom bands ( a cheaper version of lego ones).

No rainbow loom, just Lego. The rules clearly state no third-party parts are allowed.

2 hours ago, letsbuild said:

No rainbow loom, just Lego. The rules clearly state no third-party parts are allowed.

Ok.

WIP photo...

img_2345.jpg 

dont want to give too much away.

not having PF IR transmitter/receiver has made me use some brain power as to how to motorise/crawl/trial and control this thing. great challenge to help make me think outside my box.

46 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Here is my first attempt, a complete failure. I will have to restart.  

How is that a fail?

as far as i am aware, any set we own, "crawlify" that by adding any Lego part you want. while maintaining the look and "feel" of the original set, at least.. that's what i am doing.

1 hour ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

It breaks immediately when I try to crawl over anything.

having a bit of a problem with that too.

wip, spiked racer.

IMG_1826.JPG

IMG_1831.JPG

IMG_1832.JPG

not sure about treads :sceptic: - it works ok... 

Ah crap, I didn't even think about failure.

I doubt I have time to test mine before I even film it for the entry.

9 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

Ah crap, I didn't even think about failure.

I doubt I have time to test mine before I even film it for the entry.

you should have 24 days to build, do you?

24 days to build, earn a living, care for a young child, take care of a house, social duties, other hobbies, exercise, eat, have a shower, go to the toilet… haha doesn’t leave much time.

9 hours ago, MangaNOID said:

24 days to build, earn a living, care for a young child, take care of a house, social duties, other hobbies, exercise, eat, have a shower, go to the toilet… haha doesn’t leave much time.

I guess so, I hope your crawler works.

Here is a concept / idea which i abandoned for the crawler challenge, please look beyond the weak connections, this was a proof of concept build which failed.

i have moved on to another setup, but i wanted to share this with you all, maybe anyone has an idea to fix my issue:

i tried to make a pivoting rear axle that included drive and steering.

2j2yddz.jpg

52gfmc.jpg

Turning the u-joint will make the axles turn, turning the empty differential housing will make it steer and it pivots around that u-joint and differential axle, the old style Technic beam indicates what would fix to a machine its frame

I have abandoned it for 2 reasons:

1- the drive needs a worm gear to mesh with a 8 tooth gear, they get destroyed by the torque needed, this could be fixed by increasing the size by 1 stud between the 2 turntables, but to me that's no use to figure out till problem 2 is solved...

2- when the entire unit pivots on the turntable, it will also automatically steer once the motor or servo is attached to the steering gear (differential housing will turn by pivoting as well) i do not see a way to fix this (idea's? ;D)

And having so much fun making my first moc crawler! my basic setup is done, and i'm pretty happy about the result! working on fine tuning and getting the details right now (as we all know these can take the most time...)

Edited by Marxpek

Just a dumb question, would my early entry count? I am having some ideas for a new one though 

8 hours ago, Marxpek said:

2- when the entire unit pivots on the turntable, it will also automatically steer once the motor or servo is attached to the steering gear (differential housing will turn by pivoting as well) i do not see a way to fix this (idea's? ;D)

Not sure I have my head around your concept there, but was the steering motor on the chassis or the axel?

I can only think that if the motor was on the axel then there would be full floating steering and not then influenced by pivoting?  =more unsprung weight :(

the idea was to have both the drive motor and the steering motor/servo on the chassis, and have this rear axle free for pivoting.

Having the servo on the axle itself would work (for 1 axle) but this would make the rear axle way too big and heavy, especially when i would need 2 servos for steering, 1 for the front and another for the back.. and, that way the double shaft through the turntable would be obsolete.

It took me 2 full days of modifying and I managed to crawlify a set... But I do not want to post pisctures because I am affraid of discouraging you guys...

@Zero (Zblj) You are making me very curious ;) and it wont discourage me, maybe even encourage me to try harder! So please do post pictures!

I am only here to participate and learn, i can never compete with some of you, i need more experience and parts for that. (portal hubs please...) i'll get that in time!

If you are not posting pics, can i ask which set you took?

1 hour ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

It took me 2 full days of modifying and I managed to crawlify a set... But I do not want to post pisctures because I am affraid of discouraging you guys...

you cant do this! Shoooooow us... :D

7 hours ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Haha...I call a bluff, you failed and have to start all over again...:laugh:

14 minutes ago, MangaNOID said:

Haha...I call a bluff, you failed and have to start all over again...:laugh:

I don't know about that, though it is possible.