Sign in to follow this  
Merlin

Alternative turntables

Hi.

I'm currently planning a scale model, and for the model I require a couple of turntables. The turntables are what determine the scale, and as such I haven't set any specific scale, I just want everything to be in scale with each other. Now for the problem, if I use the large technic turntable the model will be quite small, and almost no functions will be possible. I was quite happy when the 42055 was released with those huge rings, but after some calculations those are again to big. If I use them, my model will be about 185cm long! I am unaware of any viable alternatives, but I am hoping someone here can help me :)

So, can anyone help with tips about a turntable that is somewhere in between?

Efferman made some designs , they are available at Shapeways here also there are turntable supports for lego turntable here and here

Edited by LXF

Thank you for the tips. :)

I was hoping that there would be some original pieces that I had just missed, but it might be that I have to go for some third party parts...

1 hour ago, Merlin said:

Thank you for the tips. :)

I was hoping that there would be some original pieces that I had just missed, but it might be that I have to go for some third party parts...

I have used the Efferman 13L turntables on a level luffing dockside crane, they are very easy to use. they provide excellent support with smooth rotation.

There is also a 17L version.

8 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

These would be hard to incorporate in the model, but they work as turntables. Would these be too big?

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=x784#T=S&C=10&O={"color":10}

Very expensive and hard to find !

Edited by Doug72

If you're purist, like me, then maybe you can go for a brick-built design, with the normal Technic turntable, with an extra circular ring around it that has rollers between two tiled surfaces. For example back in 2008 I made this one:

lego_liebherrltm1500unfinished_001.jpg

for a large mobile crane that got never finished. The gear of the large turntable might not fit, but there is enough space to connect two plates strongly to a studded Technic turntable and have this roll in between.

Here's another solution to the same problem (also from before 2010):

lego_liebherr_lg1750finished_024.jpg

Using 2 x 2 round bricks as roller can be stronger, because the bricks are thicker; and easier to connect maybe because the diameter of the bricks is 5 plates.

These two might give you lots of options; as you can make a ring of all kinds of sizes. Use the normal Technic turntable in the center to hold the halves together, and use the roller bearing to carry the weight.

it would be a real shame, and honestly a step back in ingenuity, if that what was done with regular Lego pieces ten years ago, would be done with 3D printed custom parts today.

36 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

If you're purist, like me, then maybe you can go for a brick-built design, with the normal Technic turntable, with an extra circular ring around it that has rollers between two tiled surfaces. For example back in 2008 I made this one:

for a large mobile crane that got never finished. The gear of the large turntable might not fit, but there is enough space to connect two plates strongly to a studded Technic turntable and have this roll in between.

Here's another solution to the same problem (also from before 2010):

Using 2 x 2 round bricks as roller can be stronger, because the bricks are thicker; and easier to connect maybe because the diameter of the bricks is 5 plates.

These two might give you lots of options; as you can make a ring of all kinds of sizes. Use the normal Technic turntable in the center to hold the halves together, and use the roller bearing to carry the weight.

it would be a real shame, and honestly a step back in ingenuity, if that what was done with regular Lego pieces ten years ago, would be done with 3D printed custom parts today.

Nice designs :) I forgot to mention that they are to be used on their side, not flat. I guess that will have some affect as to weight distribution and such. What I actually want to build is the Omega class destroyer from Bablyon 5 (Example video here for those who are unfamiliar, not my video). And I want to build in in Technic style, with a lot of motorized functions :)

I'll take your advice and try to do some investigation into brickbuild solutions. :)

As above, put wheels between two flat plates to achieve load bearing, and a normal large turntable (or ring gear from the bucket wheel excavator) for drive. There are plenty of examples in big crane models if you image search

On 5/1/2017 at 3:00 PM, Merlin said:

Nice designs :) I forgot to mention that they are to be used on their side, not flat. I guess that will have some affect as to weight distribution and such. What I actually want to build is the Omega class destroyer from Bablyon 5 (Example video here for those who are unfamiliar, not my video). And I want to build in in Technic style, with a lot of motorized functions :)

I'll take your advice and try to do some investigation into brickbuild solutions. :)

Cool! Another Omega fan! What scale are you looking to build it to?  :classic:

I built a 117-stud (95cm), 4700 part, non-motorized Agamemnon (based on Ryan Olsen's original SHIPtember one from last year) using a Technic frame and two Type 3 turntables for the rotating section, which may be motorizable with a few modifications. The turntables are concealed under the bodywork, but make it able to easily rotate the section even with the weight of the brick-built fuselage - it's heavy but quite well balanced so when I reposition it it stays put. However, there's a bit of "flex" between the two component parts of the turntables when it's moving, so with all that weight and the vertical orientation, I'm not sure if it'd be smooth or wobbly if it was motorized...

Take a look at the thread on the Agamemnon, which has links to the WIP pics of the internals on Flickr, my LXF files, etc. if you're interested. I also just finished a Nova Class Dreadnought variant as well (here) - non-motorized, of course. :wink:

However, I'm assuming you're thinking of motorizing both the rotating section and the 12 gun turrets, maybe some lights, etc? You'd need to build quite a bit bigger than Ryan's/my scale for all that! If you use using anything bigger than the Type 3's then you're probably looking at a much bigger fuselage, anyway.

I've also seen some pics of a much larger one by Brian Cook - this - on the B5 Flickr group, so maybe that's more the size you need... Maybe Brian can tell you what he used, if you can get in touch with him? 

Anyway, all the best for your build! :thumbup:

Thank you for the tips on the other builds, really awesome :)

I haven't decided on a scale, I think it will be determined on what size I en up on for the turntable for the spinning section. But my dream is to build one with everything motorized i.e. rotating section, turret rotation and elevation, cobra bay doors, recovery bay doors and all missile tube hatches (and would love to have firing missiles from all tubes, and launching Starfuries). How realistic that is, is another matter. And thinking about it now, that would probably be quite the massive model.. So perhaps I will have to use the BWE parts, and come to turns with the massiveness of the model :P