Sign in to follow this  
kabel

The last stand

Well, Steen Larsson had been waiting, had been hiding in a castle leagues away from where evil was happening, had survived the elemental war, had survived the Algus, had fallen in love and married a beautiful woman, had fathered a son, had had enough of war  ...

Off to battle one last time!

34337739186_1808b0b6c1_c.jpg

left at home his wife and son, will Steen ever return?

34337739086_1efe87d0f9_c.jpg

sorry, was planning to build something real big, but didn't have the time to finish, so I guess that all you'll get to see at this point is this. It's actually meant as an addition to Titus story and runs outside the contest.

I'm honoured Steen Larsson was at my side during the final battle!

Great to see you building for hte guilds again kabel, I missed you!

@ZCerberus: can I still add a link to this thread to my challenge entry?

Edited by TitusV

Steen Larsson rides again! Quite the news to hear of his marriage and son. I wonder if his son will carry on in Steen's legacy?

The glimpse we do get of the castle looks very promising :wub:

Steen Larsson is back for acts of bravery and sacrifices ! If I believe Titus' builds it will end bad for your character...

I like the little cold stream you represented with the jumping salmons ! A great detail !

Good job !

14 minutes ago, Faladrin said:

Steen Larsson is back for acts of bravery and sacrifices ! If I believe Titus' builds it will end bad for your character...

I like the little cold stream you represented with the jumping salmons ! A great detail !

Good job !

Oh yes, that little salmon is just too cool man!

I missed it at first, but it's such a lovely detail :wub: 

The fish and the rapids as a whole are great! Without seeing more of the build, though, it is hard to form an accurate opinion about its merits. I hope Titus doesn't win, just so that Steen doesn't die (or were you planning to have him die anyway, and start over elsewhere in Book III?). 

well thanks for the positive feedback on only half a moc. To give you an idead of what I'm actually working, let me show you guys this wip shot ...

34069970150_9c92f4f9e0_c.jpg

Consider me sufficiently teased...:excited:

The stream and jumping salmon are great!  I am looking forward to the finished project.

That WIP *huh*:excited: Looks like it will be your best ever! Really a tremendous 'old school' castle. It reminds me of DNL's works :thumbup:

19 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

'old school' castle

well thanks for the encouragement here. As for "old school", I'd rather prefer my way of building to be called realistic rather than that. You know, people in the middle ages actually did know how to build straight angles. And in my hometown most medieval houses look straight and in fact not as bend, crooked and twisted as all those "new School" houses that are build in the DC fashion these days. When you look at these pictures from my hometown (North German/Lower Saxon style half timbered houses) you can see nothing weird looking about it. And actually this is what is influencing my way of building caslte mocs the most.

38210762.352abb25.640.jpg?r2

622252_web.jpg?1247757117

And this is how I try to imagine "castle era" houses in Lego:

16182362102_a95faa5d00_z.jpg

vs. what DC is building:

15357819819_a12aeb5f5f_z.jpg

So while I do admit that DC's style and technique are far superiour to what I build, I'd like to claim that my stuff looks just as boring as the original. So why don't we call the way of caslte mocing  realistic style vs, fantasy style instead of old vs. new school?

32 minutes ago, kabel said:

I'd rather prefer my way of building to be called realistic

I must say that this is exactly the thought I had when I saw this WIP.  I have some builds in the works in which I plan to use fairly basic techniques that might be considered "old school" in terms of LEGO building, but they match the reference images I am using.  Bricks sometimes actually looked like bricks, whether made of clay or stone.  The "fantasy" style is interesting, but buildings were not always old and run-down!

Avoiding "gray wall syndrome" is still a feat, as actual bricks had mortar lines and slight color variations.  I think you have done a nice job with just enough texture variation to avoid this problem.

Very cool!   I like the closeups and the intimacy those pictures give.  The forest setting is cool, too.  I like the river and the transparent pieces.  I think the fish jumping upstream are my favorite part!

@kabel I agree that realistic is a better description of the style. Which is why I put 'old school' in quotes, though it being the realistic style also brings an association of old school in my mind, as it really is old school: dating back to the middle ages!
I tend to prefer that style myself, for my builds :classic:

I don't think of one style as any better than another, as any style can look amazing or not so great depending on execution..

Edited by soccerkid6

I don't know that I would exclusively use one style or the other.  When building, I would probably stick to the 'realistic' style myself, as I am with you and most of the things I build are based on some sort of picture or model.  For a thriving medieval city, I would use this approach, as I think that people will maintain their housing and clean everything.  On the other hand, the fantasy style is really great for certain things--especiallyghost towns, abandoned ruins, and houses that are in disrepair in the wilderness.  I can see combinations working well, too: the 'realistic' housing making up most of a village, but the fantasy style applied to a wall and maybe a gatehouse that have fallen into disrepair and are part of an older era before the town grew up around them.  I am still learning and am experimenting with the fantasy style, as I think it is a great tool to have in the box, although I personally will not use it exclusively.

In any case, I love your build!  Thanks for sharing the WIP.  It has encouraged me to share some pictures of my WIP, which I hope to do this weekend.