Umbra-Manis

[Chal. V - Cat. C] In the Face of Death and Destruction

An Excerpt from Recorin Orbi | Volume 467 | Cometi Cycle 7634 | Oredurin (World Chronicler) Arcturin I

"The tunnel was long. Longer than the funeral and mourning period of a Wredurin put together of darkness. This is to be expected of a disused exit from our ancient city, but having left our would for the upper in prior events via other routes, I did not expect this way to extend as it did. A band of 9 left the city, comprised of the Oredurin, the Ferdurin, an assistant Durin, and 6 soldiers who were willing to adventure. The cycle of 7634 draws to a close as we seek the Resistance of Nocturnus, to chronicle them and aid in what ways we can against Raavage, a monster of unknown origin. I'm sure if the body is intact, the Aerdurin will expect me to bring it back. The place we emerged was one of little activity, with nary a creature in sight. The march began immediately, and for the first 4 days, we saw no one, except for a large insect and a rider, high in the sky. (For more on this insect, please consult Recorin Flori V. 1698)

800x450.jpg

An Excerpt from Recorin Flori | Volume 1698 | Cometi Cycle 7634 | Ferdurin (Flora+Fauna Chronicler) Casoreon III

"This volume is dedicated to the observation of all available info regarding the as of yet unnamed, but ride-able large, quadwinged insect seen shortly after the exit from the tunnels on the way to the Resistance of the Upper's Nocturnus. This insect can apparently support a rider and a decent amount of baggage, as evidenced by the apparent cargo of the specimen observed in flight. More data when sighted again."

An excerpt from Recorin Orbi | Volume 468 | Cometi Cycle 7634 | Oredurin Arcturin I

"The road to the resistance camp, deep in the southern swamps, is a long one, but the journey was uneventful for the purposes of this recorin. The innumerable creatures, sentient and not, are being recorded by Casoreon and the assistant Durin as fast as they can, while retaining our standard. They have even the help of one of the soldiers, who has taken an interest in the various trees of the upper."

"After several weeks we arrived at our destination and made ourselves known to the leaders of the resistance. The one called The Lord of Dragons seemed very intrigued by the methods and details of the recorins made so far, and desired copies of any to be had upon certain dragon species. After a waiting period of several days in which the leaders debated this new race, unbeknownst for so long, our band of Inani was assigned to a raid upon an outpost of the Spire, Raavage's forces, named for the obsidian spike which holds Nocturnus, and all of the Upper if he achieves victory, in an iron grip. The raid was carried out swiftly, with cries of "For Nocturnus! THE RESISTANCE!" And "For Historica!" Ringing through the halls as the soldiers from every guild destroyed every spire adherent found within. I remained in the distance, with the other commanders of different forces. The raid was led by a captain of Shadowmere, but, for the first time in thousands of Cycles, an Inani fought in the upper."

800x450.jpg

800x450.jpg

"This series of events repeated itself as the Armies of free Historica marched towards the spire. The outposts grew to large castles, containing hundreds of spire soldiers, and more spire troops met us in the open field. After our second assault, the Inani were formally accepted into the ranks of the Free Peoples of Nocturnus."

"After weeks of constant fighting, only the Spire itself remained. Today the entire army was called into one assembly, and as heralds spread throughout the crowd they prepared to read from a scroll written by the leaders of free Nocturnus. Suddenly, Lord Vladvius of Shadowmere himself, a warrior and leader like no other, appeared on a raised platform, a hollow cone before him amplified his voice, as he spoke these words, which are recorded unaltered, 'Nocturnians! Avalonians! Mitgardians! Kaliphinites! We are all historicans! And today we will march against the last unholy peak of Raavage, The Spire itself! We face death and destruction today, but we do this to secure the future of Historica! FOR THE NEWFOUND KING!' At that he stepped away from the cone and an Orc let out a guttural war cry which will live in the minds of all present forever. The cry was echoed by the whole army, as it surged towards the Spire."

An Excerpt from Recorin Flori | Volume 1955 | Cometi Cycle 7634 | Ferdurin Casoreon III

"Raavage is a creature like no other. He wears heavy armor and a helm which threatens all of the Upper, yet under that helm he somehow has room for 6 horns, which must be flexible in order to avoid breaking. It is also possible that they break off and regenerate. His features are wolv-ish, but he lacks claw of any significance. Swords (2) seem to be his weapon for this battle, as he mows down many ranks, then vanishes to some high tower, according to an eagle. (See Recorin Flori V. 1820)"

An Excerpt from Recorin Orbi | Volume 468 | Cometi Cycle 7634 | Oredurin Arcturin I

"On the peak of the tower, known as Raavage's crown, the Lord of the Spire and his loyal adherent Lord Osiris Vorn, faced down some of the greatest warriors Historica has ever seen. Vladvius of Shadowmere, Anfauglir a defector of the spire, Finn a great axe-warrior of Mitgardia, Henjin of House Quilones, an Avalonian lord, Aymeri one of Kaliphin's High-lords, and one Oredurin who's battle skills were unproven. They faced off, neither side making the first move, until Raavage lept into the air..."

800x450.jpg

C&C welcome, and I hope everyone who appeared in the story liked their representation. Some decorations are missing from the warriors in the stand off due to the time involved in making new decorations for the Mecabricks library (I added the Lord Vlad ones specifically for this), but I hope to eventually make it so everyone who builds digitally has easy access to a figure of all the main characters in Historica. 

3D Viewers: 
Emergence
Outpost Raid
Raavage's Crown

Edited by Umbra-Manis

Henjin was immediately recognizable, which was great. The builds are great, but the last one is my favorite, as they are on the top of the tower. A great round shape! And so spiky and black, too. The chronicle format of the story was a bit hard to follow for us non-Inani folk, but also very creative and an interesting take on the subject matter to have it so deeply in the character of the people. Well done!

Good builds in LDD and, as always, nicely rendered !

The last one is really my favourite with all your heroes at the battle ! Great !

Good job for a good entry !

On 5/1/2017 at 3:45 AM, TitusV said:

Some neat little scenes, I really like them :thumbup: 

Thanks Titus!

On 5/1/2017 at 10:27 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

Henjin was immediately recognizable, which was great. The builds are great, but the last one is my favorite, as they are on the top of the tower. A great round shape! And so spiky and black, too. The chronicle format of the story was a bit hard to follow for us non-Inani folk, but also very creative and an interesting take on the subject matter to have it so deeply in the character of the people. Well done!

Glad he was recognizable with only the face having the right print! I've been meaning to start a thread for the Inani to explain a few things and make it easier to read.

21 hours ago, Faladrin said:

Good builds in LDD and, as always, nicely rendered !

The last one is really my favourite with all your heroes at the battle ! Great !

Good job for a good entry !

Thanks Faladrin!

really nice st of small builds - like the others, I particularly like the last one; you picked the right backgrund for the top of a tower. But for me what steals the scene is the story. I find your writing style added to the interruptions of the chronicles absolutely intriguing! :wub:

Some of your best castle themed builds yet! The rockwork in the first scene has a great 'rough' look to it, and I'm really fond of the boat tile wall for the second build :thumbup:

The tower top is my favorite of the group, with the round shape nicely executed and a very Nocturnus look to the crenelations. Neat idea to make GoH characters available for digital builders :classic:

Very well done!  I think these builds are an excellent example of how small vignettes can be strung together to make a story.  The overall feel is consistent, and I like a lot of the detail.  I didn't realize that you could make such detail with all black, but I suspect it was tough to photograph!  Good job!

The tower top looks great, smooth round shape and nice texturing with those nexo polygon tiles and ingot tiles. Interesting use of the rounded 2x2 inverted tiles for the wall section!

The story is done brilliantly! The way the alien "Upper Nocturnus" is described, through the eyes and with the vocabulary of the Inani, from chroniclers who view the subject matter from their own field of expertise, is something profoundly extraordinary. :thumbup::thumbup:

On 5/3/2017 at 4:42 PM, en_zoo said:

really nice st of small builds - like the others, I particularly like the last one; you picked the right backgrund for the top of a tower. But for me what steals the scene is the story. I find your writing style added to the interruptions of the chronicles absolutely intriguing! :wub:

Glad you like the story!

On 5/7/2017 at 9:22 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Some of your best castle themed builds yet! The rockwork in the first scene has a great 'rough' look to it, and I'm really fond of the boat tile wall for the second build :thumbup:

The tower top is my favorite of the group, with the round shape nicely executed and a very Nocturnus look to the crenelations. Neat idea to make GoH characters available for digital builders :classic:

Thanks SK! I'll try to start a thread soon for the characters.

On 5/9/2017 at 11:22 PM, Grover said:

Very well done!  I think these builds are an excellent example of how small vignettes can be strung together to make a story.  The overall feel is consistent, and I like a lot of the detail.  I didn't realize that you could make such detail with all black, but I suspect it was tough to photograph!  Good job!

Thanks! These are all actually renders, so that makes capturing the details a bit easier.

19 hours ago, Exetrius said:

The tower top looks great, smooth round shape and nice texturing with those nexo polygon tiles and ingot tiles. Interesting use of the rounded 2x2 inverted tiles for the wall section!

The story is done brilliantly! The way the alien "Upper Nocturnus" is described, through the eyes and with the vocabulary of the Inani, from chroniclers who view the subject matter from their own field of expertise, is something profoundly extraordinary. :thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks Exetrius!