00.jpg

Yaaay, first published MOC in 2017 :D

It is my second attempt on making one set MOC. This time I have chosen 42054 CLAAS Xerion.

lego-42054_1.jpg

I decided to rebuilt it into a wheel loader, because it has nice wheels ;)

But first things first:

Model uses 1580 parts, from total 1976 in the set. The building process gave me a headache few times, but I will desrcibe them below. Let's have a look at its exterior:

The mixed Red & Lime colour combo does not look too good, but let's say that this time shape was more important than colours ;)

The model itself is a generic wheel loader (a friend of mine said that it resembles medium size loader).

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

I tried to add some details, like cab interior, railings etc, which was quite challenging with given amount of parts

640x360.jpg

There are two manual and two motorized functions in this loader.

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

Steering is based on two large turntables, very similiar to B model of 42053 set. I have designed the steering angle to do not interfere with universal joints or other parts of the loader, like front lights, mudguards etc.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

Worm gear is used for the grapple:

640x360.jpg

Two functions, which are arm and grapple movement, are motorized. They are driven by PF M motor, but it can be only turned on. Their direction can be set by two levers placed behind the cab (it works like 42042 gearbox).

640x360.jpg

The most important part in making a loader, range of movement of the arm caused a lot of problems during the building process. There are only three linear actuators in the set, and they are SMALL ones. It took a day of trying different solutions to make it work well.

640x360.jpg

640x360.jpg

The biggest problem was movement of the grapple, which asked for large stroke on the actuator (I have tried making a custom one with 13L gear rack, but I have ended with small LA). After few tries I have decided to place it under the arm and use inverted setup of levers:

640x360.jpg

Last thing, battery box acces - remove two pins and fold the covers:

640x360.jpg

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGx2vBpLe6s

A wheel loader should be fitted with a bucket. Unfortunatelly, there's no bucket provided in the set. But if you have 42030, you can fit its bucket to this model:

640x360.jpg

After adding few bricks of course:

640x360.jpg

And speaking about 42030 - here's its comaprision with my model (pictures were taken by my friend, who tested this alternate model before its reveal. Thanks again!)

800x320.jpg
800x320.jpg
800x320.jpg

And if you like this model, I have made a instructions for it:

800x530.jpg

Last time people complained about MOCPlans and that they have to be online to build my models. So this time let's try different approach:

The PDF file with the instructions can be bought at Sellfy, which have been used also by Brunojj lately. Let's see if I can count on people's fairness :)

The instructions itself are, as usual, divided into several submodels, like arm, chassis, gearbox, cab etc.

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

It can be bought for $10 at Sellfy.com:
https://sellfy.com/p/fl2O/

Sample of instructions can be viewed here:

http://bricksafe.com/files/M_longer/42054-wheel-loader/instructions sample.pdf

Rebrickable parts list can be found here:

http://rebrickable.com/users/M_longer/mocs/

I have also provided parts lists (Bricklink/Brickstore/Rebrickable formats) in my Bricksafe folder:

http://bricksafe.com/pages/M_longer/42054-wheel-loader

And a bonus, related to the instructions creation process. Test model built in Liebherr livery :)

640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg
640x360.jpg

And two additional versions, with bucket:

640x360.jpg

And on 94mm wheels:

640x360.jpg

Edited by M_longer

Instant purchase. Thanks for making PDF instructions; hopefully you won't be short-changed by this decision.

You've performed a miracle in getting such a large range of movement out of small LAs.

36 minutes ago, Jay Psi said:

Instant purchase. Thanks for making PDF instructions; hopefully you won't be short-changed by this decision.

Thank you. Time will tell :)

Great c model, sometimes they are more enjoyable than a separate model because you have limited parts.

Well done.  Lime and red isn't that bad, it is kind of like RC from Toy Story.  :classic:

17 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Well done.  Lime and red isn't that bad, it is kind of like RC from Toy Story.  :classic:

My loader lacks two tones of blue then ;)

1 hour ago, jorgeopesi said:

I like what you can build even without bricks and tiles

I still like studfull building method, but I am considering making a 1:17 scale model in studless version... :)

Thank you very much! I'm really looking forward to building this. Have purchased the instructions also immediately.

Awesome c model. Your 42043 c model was amazing and now this. I purchased your 42043 c model instructions and I will definitely buy this too.

Just checked the video, I am seriously impressed, great look, clever and well executed design (I especially like the cabin shape forming with CV joints - NPU!), also with instructions... actually is there a reason why it shouldn't be official B-model? :tongue:

Hat off M_Longer, professional work! :thumbup:

Interesting model, color combo is something on what I have to get used (Usually no CLAAS front end loaders are around :grin:), but functions are something really good based on parts from 42054 set. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, agrof said:

actually is there a reason why it shouldn't be official B-model? :tongue:

Because A and B models resemble machines from the same manufacturer? Like 42030 and 42053, which were four different Volvo models. Or 42054 and 8110, which had only small amount of parts reused to build different attachement for A model. CLAAS do not make loaders, so maybe this is the reason :)

Wow, great work on the functions and look of this model. I really like the colour scheme the Claas parts provide. 

Excellent job on the range of the arm and grabber with the mini LA's! :thumbup:

21 minutes ago, Appie said:

Excellent job on the range of the arm and grabber with the mini LA's! :thumbup:

I'd love to see an L Motor instead of M motor provided with the set, becuase it has higher torque and whole arm could work much smoother with it. But even with M it does work quite smooth (even better on fresh batteries).

15 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

just starting this MOC and really looking forward to see it done!!

Share your thoughts about it when you're done :)

Just wanted to tell you that I'm building your MOC and I'm impressed. The instructions are great, but this is not a set for inexperienced Lego Technic builders.

Here is my progress so far ...

M_Longer_42054C_WheelLoader.jpg

11 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

but this is not a set for inexperienced Lego Technic builders.

I should said that earlier, sorry.

But I see that you have already built the most complicated part ;)

Have fun :)

Hmmm, 'not for inexperienced Lego Technic builders'. Do you mean this MOC or this set in general (the A and B models) ?

I'm only just getting back into Lego. Currently I'm working on finishing my Saturn V.  After that, I thought I wanted to try some Technic, so I ordered this set and I was already thinking about buying this C-model manual.

But is it perhaps too much for a newcomer? I've just looked at the online manual for the A model and there sure a lot of steps! Is it also correct that all parts seem to be in one huge bag instead of being divided over multiple ones?   

17 minutes ago, Daniel Jackson said:

Hmmm, 'not for inexperienced Lego Technic builders'. Do you mean this MOC or this set in general (the A and B models) ?

I'm only just getting back into Lego. Currently I'm working on finishing my Saturn V.  After that, I thought I wanted to try some Technic, so I ordered this set and I was already thinking about buying this C-model manual.

But is it perhaps too much for a newcomer? I've just looked at the online manual for the A model and there sure a lot of steps! Is it also correct that all parts seem to be in one huge bag instead of being divided over multiple ones?   

I have built nearly all Technic flagship sets in the last few years, but I find building this C-Model at times challenging and therefore very rewarding. You should not have an issue building it, the instructions are excellent, it is just too difficult for little children in my opinion. It is essential to collect the necessary pieces for each image and then to look where they fit. Sometimes you have to look several times before you see where a piece needs to be used. For instance the 8 axle on page 48. :-)

This is one of the best recent Lego Technic set and buying the professional instructions by @M_longer is a no-brainer. For 10 USD you get hours of building pleasure.

M_Longer_42054C_WheelLoaderProgress.jpg