Garmadon

The Alchemist of Rothenheim

33450137814_fafeed3a27_z.jpg

Living in a tower at the top of Rothenheim mountain in northern Mitgardia, Dwalin Forksek, of dwarven descent (though he somehow managed to grow out of it), was generally know as simply "The Alchemist." 

33907890170_03c1eb5556_z.jpg

In utter disregard to the smoke and explosions often heard rumbling out from his cozy workplace and the public's opinion of them - not a very favorable one, by the by - the Alchemist was always certain that he was on the verge of some magnificent discovery which would forever change the course of history.

33481538163_d6fb9b5a93_z.jpg

At the moment he was engaged in boiling some yellow substance to vapors in a large cauldron, and - let's see - maybe one more turn of the timer would do...
KA-BANG!!!

Or then again, maybe not...

34134361572_f2f51dbc6f_z.jpg

One thing was certain, though - and that was that the next time something important would be discovered! Not that something wasn't discovered this time too, namely, Do not overcook boiling yellow substances...

The room:

34291693325_1e6670cef0_z.jpg

And our worthy, painstaking laborer in the pursuit of science:

33481512043_7afa50d988_z.jpg

A fun little build for GoH (glad to be posting something around here again!) and the first round of the LCBTC, enjoy!  

Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome! :classic:

Nice to see another LCBTC entry :thumbup: Some great details and the smoke is awesome. My favourite part though is the hat, great rubber band usage :classic: 

A great presentation of a very nice MOC, I really enjoyed reading and watching the images. Good job Garmadon!

Nice scene.  Love the curtains on the window and the round room.  I like the smoke on the cauldron.  The figures hair is very creative.  good job. 

A Great alchemist fig ! And a lovely round construction !

I have to try me once at a round building, perhaps will use your way to do...

Good job ! Keep up the good work !

Great build Garmadon, as I said before I love the round wall!  Those built in shelves look great too, and so do the curtains! :thumbup: 

Nice round build! The part that really sells me on it is the R2-unit legs used to support the flex-tubing crown molding. I do not love the smoke, but the alcove-shelves sure are nice. 

On 4/30/2017 at 2:06 AM, The Maestro said:

Nice to see another LCBTC entry :thumbup: Some great details and the smoke is awesome. My favourite part though is the hat, great rubber band usage :classic: 

Thanks, Maestro! :classic:  I think the rubber band may have been my favorite part as well - at any rate it turned out to be a great solution for someone with no white hair :grin:

On 4/30/2017 at 3:16 PM, TitusV said:

A great presentation of a very nice MOC, I really enjoyed reading and watching the images. Good job Garmadon!

Thanks, Titus! :wink:  Glad you enjoyed the bit of story too! 

23 hours ago, zoth33 said:

Nice scene.  Love the curtains on the window and the round room.  I like the smoke on the cauldron.  The figures hair is very creative.  good job. 

Those curtains were definitely complicated - especially because the curved room meant they had to stick out a tad at the bottom to not mess up the walls!  Thank you!

10 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

A great guy with a great laboratory!

:laugh:  Thanks Captain B! :grin:

9 hours ago, Faladrin said:

A Great alchemist fig ! And a lovely round construction !

I have to try me once at a round building, perhaps will use your way to do...

Good job ! Keep up the good work !

Thanks Faladrin! :classic:  The hinge plates certainly are one good way to do it, but you'll almost always need something dark behind it as it otherwise lets way too much light through!

9 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Great build Garmadon, as I said before I love the round wall!  Those built in shelves look great too, and so do the curtains! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai, glad you like them!  The round wall was a must for an alchemist's! :wink:

8 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Nice round build! The part that really sells me on it is the R2-unit legs used to support the flex-tubing crown molding. I do not love the smoke, but the alcove-shelves sure are nice. 

Thanks, HQ!  To tell the truth I'm not too happy with the smoke either - when you get so close and detailed, smoke is actually a very complicated thing to make look right...  Glad you liked those legs, though, I figured I should get some good use out of those pieces! :laugh:

Lovely story and build, Garmadon!

The round room technique is quite nice!  I also like the astromech leg mouldings!  The windows and curtains are beautifully built for this small scale.  Nice use of the rubber band for the hair.

The only thing I note for criticism is that this scene seems rather scant of litter and equipment for an alchemist's shop (or at least ones based on stereotypes)!  I do understand not wanting to clutter a small scene, though, and I like the items you did include.

A very 'well rounded' scene :laugh: Top quality in every aspect, from the window and curtains to bubbling cauldron :thumbup:The other furniture is also excellent, and the fig combos are perfect :classic:

Very cool!  The amount of detail in this small vignette keeps me looking for more and more.  Even the boards in the floor are outstanding.  Love it!

Thanks all! :classic:

On 5/4/2017 at 3:50 PM, Slegengr said:

Lovely story and build, Garmadon!

The round room technique is quite nice!  I also like the astromech leg mouldings!  The windows and curtains are beautifully built for this small scale.  Nice use of the rubber band for the hair.

The only thing I note for criticism is that this scene seems rather scant of litter and equipment for an alchemist's shop (or at least ones based on stereotypes)!  I do understand not wanting to clutter a small scene, though, and I like the items you did include.

Ha, ha, thanks Sleg!  Given the name of the contest, I was trying to use as many little techniques and details as possible in this tiny space!  I know what you mean about the lack of clutter - I think it was a bit of a combination of not wanting to crowd out all the other techniques in a muddle of confusion and the fact that he's just, well, a neat alchemist :laugh: :grin:  Actually, a whole lot of organized confusion in LEGO form can really be somewhat complicated to build at times - sometimes your mind just wants to keep things tidy!

On 5/8/2017 at 5:19 PM, soccerkid6 said:

A very 'well rounded' scene :laugh: Top quality in every aspect, from the window and curtains to bubbling cauldron :thumbup:The other furniture is also excellent, and the fig combos are perfect :classic:

:laugh: Thanks SK, glad you like it!  The fig was the starting point of the whole thing!

19 hours ago, Grover said:

Very cool!  The amount of detail in this small vignette keeps me looking for more and more.  Even the boards in the floor are outstanding.  Love it!

Thanks Grover! :classic:  Glad to hear it!  And yes, dark brown is great! :grin:

On 5/13/2017 at 7:07 PM, Blufiji said:

Nice curved wall, and I like the window design alot.

Thanks Blufiji!  Those curtains were probably the thing I spent most time fiddling around with! :laugh:

On 5/14/2017 at 3:45 AM, Gunman said:

Great curved room Garmadon! :) I like it a lot!

Thanks, mate! :wink: