Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

Brimstone extraction outside Astrapi

Sulfur has been used for centuries in several sectors: while alchemists consider it (together with mercury and salt) one of the "primordial essences" constituing matter, physicians use sulfur in skin treatment and to prevent the spreading of contagious diseases (i.e. disinfecting a room by fumigation); modern science, additionally, is discovering more and more possible uses of this element in industrial processes.
What makes brimstone extraction a real paramount, however, is gunpowder production; coal and saltpeter can be produced (even if the latter requires long and complex procedures), but sulfur can be obtained only digging it in volcanic areas: for this reason large deposits represent one of the most precious and fiercely disputed mineral resources; up until now, in the New World, no real brimstone lore has already been discovered and most of the gunpowder is still imported from the motherland.

In the uninhabited interior of Île de Zeus, in a rocky area near to Astrapi, an explorative expedition recently found a volcanic cliff with deep cracks and fumaroles: some of them developed wide sulfur encrustations that can be exploited (even if on a limited scale).

34295450726_2dcbeac2e7_z.jpg

Hammering sulfur concrections on a rickety footbridge, clinging to the rocks among suffocating fumes, is probably one of the most dangerous occupations, significantly more than working in the mines but, since the pay is relatively good, it's not hard to find someone mad enough to take this job.

34205726051_7ca9eefd9b_z.jpg

Rock scraps are later lifted (using a rudimental crane) to the top of the cliff, where they are put in barrels ready to be sent to Astrapi: there sulfur will be grinded, refined and converted into "the finest gunpowder of the New World", as the manufacturers say.

34205745991_b359bfdecf_z.jpg

The largest and purest sulfur crystals are accurately selected and packed directly in the extraction site: bought at a high price by chemists and alchemists, they ensure an additional (and considerable) profit margin.

34295458996_7ba937a5bf_z.jpg

To be licensed as a small factory; this building is freely based on Cortes expedition to Popocatepetl crater (conquistadores needed gunpowder for their cannons).
C&C are obviously welcome :pir-blush:

Spoiler

34295466546_b3017780d9_z.jpg

An overall view of the building

Edited by Keymonus
Typos

Neat build, the yellow as brimstone looks really good and you've got some nice angles, particularly that first one!  

Nice!  That crane looks great, and the orange and yellow (not to mention that light-up brick! :grin:) work very well here!  Keep it up! :classic:

Wow, this is pretty cool, both in idea and execution. And your light effects really add to the excellent overall atmosphere of the build.

Now I kind of want to see a powder mill in Astrapi, and at least a gun maker :wink:

Keep it up, Keymonus!

A very nice and innovative MOC! We definitely need sulfur as well as silver etc! And as others have commented before me, those are some great angled photographs

Thank you for your feedback! To be honest I'm quite proud of my photographs since most of my previous pics were completely out of focus :cry_sad:

On 30 aprile 2017 at 10:24 PM, Kolonialbeamter said:

Wow, this is pretty cool, both in idea and execution. And your light effects really add to the excellent overall atmosphere of the build.

Now I kind of want to see a powder mill in Astrapi, and at least a gun maker :wink:

Keep it up, Keymonus!

Thank you!!! :classic: I'm actually building a powder mill powered by water, but it'still a work in progress... I'll post it as soon as possible!

:classic:

Great build and nice photography. I like how you built the mountain, the facial expressions of the characters match well with the scene, and the crane is a great addition too.