koalayummies

[MOC] Modular: Town Hardware

33889877370_87d70f0757_b.jpg

33889877380_f5a2749a95_b.jpg

34116919482_6934462c4d_b.jpg

The Minifigures (left to right): hardware store owner, hardware store employee, architect, installation artist, university scientist/inventor, construction foreman, do-it-yourself home improver, engineering student.

33889877420_de1e61512a_b.jpg

Some of the brick-built items:

Shop air compressor, pallet of new product, floor buffer machine.

33889877440_0c28b617e1_b.jpg

Pressure washer:

33889877460_3566914cce_b.jpg

Wet or dry shop vacuum, pressure washer, tool cabinet, workbench:

34142790251_08f9156316_b.jpg

Shop truck:

34142790281_9bebc43939_b.jpg

34142790311_648193d2d2_b.jpg

34142790321_c892176103_b.jpg

First floor contains building materials and general home improvement goods (for some of these photos the garage door supports were removed):

34142790341_92ac92c6bb_b.jpg

Cash register, flowers, canned and spray paints, glues and tapes:

34142790361_6e1056c2f1_b.jpg

33432022714_9958a03f45_b.jpg

Shop bench saw, selection of chain, electrical conduit, plumbing pipe, masonry bricks, lumber:

33432022614_ca5419e061_b.jpg

33432022594_3e0439690e_b.jpg

33432022624_8b34645114_b.jpg

33432022644_fa849b1560_b.jpg

Second floor contains tools and hardware, middle of the room is drawers with fasteners/hardware and safety headwear, portable work lights:

33432022744_194273e0e5_b.jpg

Power tools:

33432040254_d2f50d1cde_b.jpg

Hand tools:

33432040364_7cb97dc22f_b.jpg

33432040404_041ee934cb_b.jpg

Third floor is a full-floor apartment:

33432040434_32e77be3ea_b.jpg

Kitchen, refrigerator and sink build designs borrowed from Firehouse Headquarters:

33432040454_163114a728_b.jpg

33432040494_4d9a5d992e_b.jpg

Bedroom, dresser and home entertainment:

33463922713_2b5ea2b1cf_b.jpg

33463922763_689337a994_b.jpg

Bathroom, toilet design borrowed from Assembly Square:

33463922803_5a7c9d2149_b.jpg

33463922843_db4136725a_b.jpg

Rooftop garden, A/C unit:

33463922873_dff6d6fd9c_b.jpg

33463922883_c828c018e1_b.jpg

34142825991_04316b5098_b.jpg

The interior is amazing! The detail and color are astounding, nicely done. The top two floors have a bit of a sameness problem going on, in my opinion though. I'd break up the lines of tan with some dark tan, and try to differentiate the sections around the windows with the ones that stick out more. Nicely done overall!

WOW!!!

Love, Love this!!!

- the big saw and wrench on the front are my favorite

Great Great Work!!!!

Greetings

1 hour ago, Dakar A said:

The interior is amazing! The detail and color are astounding, nicely done. The top two floors have a bit of a sameness problem going on, in my opinion though. I'd break up the lines of tan with some dark tan, and try to differentiate the sections around the windows with the ones that stick out more. Nicely done overall!

Thanks! I'm glad you like the interiors. The lighting on the first two exterior shots is a tad harsh and results in a bit of a flat image with no depth of light. It may benefit from sand yellow there but one person's sameness problem change often results in another's 'too much color'. But again glad you like the interiors and thanks for the appreciation and if it works good in sand yellow I'll be sure to share it. 

33892755350_df8b90e7ff_b.jpg1_D4C1192 by Scott L, on Flickr

35 minutes ago, carebear said:

WOW!!!

Love, Love this!!!

- the big saw and wrench on the front are my favorite

Great Great Work!!!!

Greetings

Thanks Carebear! I'm a big fan of your work so I'm glad you like this. :grin:

Wow...that is such a complete build!! The building already gives an impression of what the activity inside could be, so i think you did that really good!!  I love those details... it is almost sad, the inside can't be seen directly from the outside.. as the interior is also perfect!! Very well done, this is certainly one of the best modular MOC's that i've seen the last years!!!

This hardware store has everything you might need; fantastic interior! Great cast of characters as well. The hardware store looks amazing on the street and I really like the facade.

From one hardware store designer to another I must say your's is just fantastic and I totally dig ALL the machinery !

The question is why isn't this hasn't been front paged ?

Keep the awesome coming and Brick On 'koalayummies' !

2 things:

-First: everything is awesome (lego movie ;) ), the building, interiors.... It could be a real lego modular set

- Second: the pictures are incredible, look so professionnal

Conclusion: perfect job ... Brick on

Well done, especially the interiors. The detail throughout the shop is amazing!

The apartment is well-done, too, though I feel the living room/kitchen area feels a bit empty.

Wow, so many things to look at.. You have a great sense of details and scenery Koalayummies..

Love the building, the interior, the color scheme, the minifigs and the van, looks like a complete official building that has the older modular "grand" aspect and the newer modulars details level & story telling, and even more..

Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

That is a very nice idea to make a hardware store. :classic:

Like the others said, the details on the inside and outside are impressive.

Great build, absolutely. :thumbup:

12 hours ago, LegoSjaak said:

Wow...that is such a complete build!! The building already gives an impression of what the activity inside could be, so i think you did that really good!!  I love those details... it is almost sad, the inside can't be seen directly from the outside.. as the interior is also perfect!! Very well done, this is certainly one of the best modular MOC's that i've seen the last years!!!

Thanks LegoSjaak! Knowing how much you like modulars (like most AFOLs) is very inspiriting that you like this design. It would be very cool to see an XL version for your beautiful town. 

10 hours ago, Nightfall said:

Wow. This is an amazing build! So many great details in- and outside. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Nightfall. You do me too much honor. 

8 hours ago, kjm161 said:

This hardware store has everything you might need; fantastic interior! Great cast of characters as well. The hardware store looks amazing on the street and I really like the facade.

Thanks kjm161. I find exteriors to be a bit more challenging so I'm glad you like the facade and look of the building from the outside. Thanks!

6 hours ago, lightningtiger said:

From one hardware store designer to another I must say your's is just fantastic and I totally dig ALL the machinery !

The question is why isn't this hasn't been front paged ?

Keep the awesome coming and Brick On 'koalayummies' !

Lightningtiger, thank you. That means a lot. You are too kind. Your hardware store is absolutely fantastic and I'm honored you like mine as well. I love your details and the brick built objects you came up with were genius. Your build is inspiring and really pushed my creativity while building this. Thank you. 

6 hours ago, Ogist said:

Nice work. Looks perfect, better then many official modulars! 

Thank you so much Ogist! I was really not expecting this level of praise. Your support is very moving, thank you Ogist. 

5 hours ago, jalemac34 said:

2 things:

-First: everything is awesome (lego movie ;) ), the building, interiors.... It could be a real lego modular set

- Second: the pictures are incredible, look so professionnal

Conclusion: perfect job ... Brick on

Thanks Jalemac. Far too kind. I'm glad you like the photos as well, lots of physical work and second guessing whether I should keep shooting. Your praise is very motivating and stirring, thank you. 

1 hour ago, RogerSmith said:

Well done, especially the interiors. The detail throughout the shop is amazing!

The apartment is well-done, too, though I feel the living room/kitchen area feels a bit empty.

Thanks RogerSmith. I can certainly see the feeling that the living room/kitchen are a bit empty. I did want to put something near the front windows and had a few ideas but didn't want to block out the windows and kind of like the more open and minimalist feel to it, probably just a projection of personal desire for more living space in real life. I may keep pondering ideas for the kitchen/living room and will update if something good comes to mind. Thanks again. 

1 hour ago, SwissBrick said:

Wow, so many things to look at.. You have a great sense of details and scenery Koalayummies..

Love the building, the interior, the color scheme, the minifigs and the van, looks like a complete official building that has the older modular "grand" aspect and the newer modulars details level & story telling, and even more..

Thanks for sharing and inspiring!

Thanks SwissBrick. I really appreciate your fondness of the design and thinking it harkens back to the older larger more grand modulars is very touching. Thank you SwissBrick!

1 hour ago, cold_fuzion said:

Wow... packed with all kinds of fun little details and all very well done. Thank you for sharing this with everyone!

Thanks cold_fuzion. I'm always happy to share a design and I am overwhelmed by the appreciation. Thank you. 

Thanks everyone. 

15 minutes ago, sander1992 said:

That is a very nice idea to make a hardware store. :classic:

Like the others said, the details on the inside and outside are impressive.

Great build, absolutely. :thumbup:

Thank you Sander1992. I really appreciate the love. Thanks!

I usually don't care for this gimmick on otherwise realistic commercial building modulars where the exterior features an upacaled brickbuilt model of whatever is being sold inside, but this one... wow! Just fantastic all around, and I especially like the rooftop.

Quite clever indeed.

I like the oversized saw and wrench, but I don't like them on the outside of the building. If they were incorporated into a sign somehow, it might work, but then again I would probably just use the minifigure scale versions and incorporate them into a sign.

The interior is phenomenal. I think there are a lot of great details here. I like the sections and how they work together. Naturally a downside is having stairs and levels in a hardware store, but it works well enough here. Maybe having some sort of lift could work too in case any heavier tools were upstairs, not sure.

The exterior is decent enough. The depth works well. I don't love the gapped tile look, but that goes for any building. It can work in small doses like on Green Grocer, but for the full facade on the upper levels, I'm not sure. But that's just me.

The truck is nice looking. The cast of characters works, although for some reason I'd put the owner in a different top than the employee.

I hadn't considered building a hardware store for my modular city, but it makes sense to have one. I rarely go to one, so I guess it isn't in the forefront of my mind. But most businesses I don't go to, so maybe that's why my city is so bare haha.

The apartment looks great, but I don't like that everyone forces an apartment into all of these businesses. I've been known to do it also, and I realize they need residences in the more urban environment, but I don't know. It seems every business has an apartment above it, which is weird to me. But maybe that is how it really is, I haven't looked into those buildings downtown before.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by TheLegoDr
Added information

21 hours ago, JLSD said:

Brilliant!  Absolutely brilliant!

Thank you JLSD, too kind. :blush:

20 hours ago, NewTown said:

This is awesome. I think the kitchen is my favourite part. Not sure why but it is.

Thanks NewTown. I'm a fan of more open kitchens, kitchen islands and angled countertops, I'm glad you're fond of the design, thanks!

7 hours ago, BlockLogo said:

I usually don't care for this gimmick on otherwise realistic commercial building modulars where the exterior features an upacaled brickbuilt model of whatever is being sold inside, but this one... wow! Just fantastic all around, and I especially like the rooftop.

Thanks BlockLogo. I know some aren't fans of the flower sign in Assembly Square and that type of sign can be hit or miss so I'm glad you're fond of it here, it took a good amount of time to get it to where it looks good. Thanks again!

4 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Quite clever indeed.

I like the oversized saw and wrench, but I don't like them on the outside of the building. If they were incorporated into a sign somehow, it might work, but then again I would probably just use the minifigure scale versions and incorporate them into a sign.

The interior is phenomenal. I think there are a lot of great details here. I like the sections and how they work together. Naturally a downside is having stairs and levels in a hardware store, but it works well enough here. Maybe having some sort of lift could work too in case any heavier tools were upstairs, not sure.

The exterior is decent enough. The depth works well. I don't love the gapped tile look, but that goes for any building. It can work in small doses like on Green Grocer, but for the full facade on the upper levels, I'm not sure. But that's just me.

The truck is nice looking. The cast of characters works, although for some reason I'd put the owner in a different top than the employee.

I hadn't considered building a hardware store for my modular city, but it makes sense to have one. I rarely go to one, so I guess it isn't in the forefront of my mind. But most businesses I don't go to, so maybe that's why my city is so bare haha.

The apartment looks great, but I don't like that everyone forces an apartment into all of these businesses. I've been known to do it also, and I realize they need residences in the more urban environment, but I don't know. It seems every business has an apartment above it, which is weird to me. But maybe that is how it really is, I haven't looked into those buildings downtown before.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks TheLegoDr. I debated about the sign for a while, either large representations of shop items or tile and plate/brick built typography sign and minifigure accessories. I had design ideas for both and have been thinking up an alternative typographical sign that could be hung or suspended without much modification to the existing structure, I can certainly share the worded sign on the building but still lean towards the representational sign. I incorporated the seemingly obligatory apartment because I wanted the store owner to also be the building owner and resident, the thought of owning a living space and small business in one building is to me very appealing, especially if its a privately owned hardware store. Its common in cities to have residential space above businesses in multi story buildings. Thanks for the compliment. 

1 hour ago, peedeejay said:

Fantastic interior with great details and minibuilds! The exterior also works quite well.

Thanks Peedeejay! You are hands down one of the very best modular building designers with an incredible portfolio of beautiful buildings so I am honored you like this design. Thank you. 

Edited by koalayummies
Typos

This looks very good and detailed.

Well done!

Great, It's one of those modulars that has too many great details to comment on. :P

Looks fantastic and the goods for sale are reminiscent to real equipment.

I love it! I like the exterior, especially the oversized tools. The colour scheme works very well. My favourite part though is the interior with all the different tools, shelves and micro builds.

I would love to spend some time on the rooftop.

This is probably my favorite modular I've ever seen.

I've seen a lot.

I'd never leave, if I was a minifigure.