FactorXa

Which UCS Star Wars to buy?

I am coming out of the "dark ages" and I am trying to make an "educated" decision (budget based, ha) on which non retired UCS Star Wars set to buy among the ones available (Slave 1, Death Star, Snow Speeder, Tie Fighter, Assault on Hoth)? Opinions? Thanks

I will move this to the regular Star Wars forum. You have placed it in the Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka forum, which is a community build forum.

Bearing in mind there will be a Millenium Falcon coming out this October you may want to save your money for that. (Unless of course you're planning to buy the MF next year, in which case I would also go for the Slave).

1 minute ago, Tariq j said:

Bearing in mind there will be a Millenium Falcon coming out this October you may want to save your money for that. (Unless of course you're planning to buy the MF next year, in which case I would also go for the Slave).

Is there? :wacko:

2 hours ago, FactorXa said:

I am coming out of the "dark ages" and I am trying to make an "educated" decision (budget based, ha) on which non retired UCS Star Wars set to buy among the ones available (Slave 1, Death Star, Snow Speeder, Tie Fighter, Assault on Hoth)? Opinions? Thanks

Same answer as always; buy the oldest set first. So no Snowspeeder yet.

Assault on Hoth is not a real UCS set. You can skip that one.

Slave 1 is awesome!! I would buy that one. Followed by the Tie Fighter, which is cooler than it may seem.

Death Star doesn't do it for me. Just an expensive play set. Never liked it and I never will.

The new MF will most likely come at the end of this year. But it will be available for quite some time, and you don't need to worry about it being limited or something.

Slave 1 and Tie, followed by Snowspeeder / MF.

16 minutes ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Slave 1 it will be retiring soon!

Exactly this.

Yeah as mentioned there may be a new Millennium Falcon soon. But I've heard good things about the Slave 1. Also the Tie fighter has been out for awhile so you may get a good deal. If you like minifigures than the death star or even hoth(don't hate me) have decent minifigure collections, if you like models more than I'd save yourself a lot of money and not get these first. Personally I recommend buying an older set as you can get a deal and get it before it retires. I'd recommend you wait a week or so till the May 4th celebration and depending on your country you may get a decent discount. Overall Slave 1 is probably your best bet.

I'd go with the Slave 1. It in my opinion looks way better than the other UCS available and it's a fun build. Looks awesome on it's stand.

It is also the first set I bought myself, last set I got was for christmas probably 12 years ago.

Thank you all !!!!! Slave 1 will be this May the 4th (3X VIP points !!!)

I am sorry I posted it in the wrong spot. I am still figuring out this amazing community!

Cheers

As an owner of the Death Star I'd say take the Slave 1 or the TIE Fighter. I'm patiently waiting for the return of TIE Interceptors lol.

Good choice. Slave I is one of the best UCS sets out of all of them. The MF set is still technically a rumor too... hopefully it's true though.

I don't buy play-sets, but I have all the ships since the B-Wing and X-Wing v2.0 came out. Slave 1 is a very good set. Tie Fighter is by comparison a simple and repetitive build, but I wouldn't not have it in tandem with my X-Wing in my collection..

Edited by kiwiatlarge

I have to go with the others - Slave 1 is an excellent set!

I think you can also still get the x-wing and b-wing - at least in my local Lego Store.

I would get:

Slave 1

B-Wing

TIE

X-Wing

Snowspeeder.

The Death Star is not really an UCS IMO, but it is a very fun set. However it is crazy expensive :)

The X-wing still suffers from the small-engines syndrome, which can be hard to overlook now that it is a UCS set (and even the second version of it) - so unless you plan to mod it you can skip that one as well :)

If B-wing is indeed UCS version (set number 10227), you should get it raght away, because it's long out of production and even cheapest one sell on Bricklink fo rclose to 300 euro. Similar with X-wing: if it's 10240, go and get it, otherwise you will have to give at least 250 on secondary market.

Current sets are Slave 1, TIE fighter and Snowspeeder. 

Out of those, Slave 1 is in  my opinion the best set and it will also be gone first, so I would pick that one. After that TIE fighter and you still have at least two years to buy snowspeeder.

I too would recommend the Slave I of all the current sets... it has more interesting features and details than the TIE, which was a bit repetitive to build.  But I'd also recommend the B-Wing first, if you can find one reasonably priced. According to TLG reps, B-Wings don't sell well so I doubt we'll ever see a UCS reissue of it. 

Slave I first, followed by TIE. Then the new MF (if it's released) and Snow Speeder.

I think we can all agree the Slave 1 is probably the best UCS set on the market at the moment, I only came out of the dark ages last year and that was my first UCS purchase. The Death Star is still in the box! 

I would love to pick up a B-Wing at RRP. 

On 4/25/2017 at 9:32 PM, Jim said:

I will move this to the regular Star Wars forum. You have placed it in the Shadows of Nar Eurbrikka forum, which is a community build forum.

To be fair, this probably should be merged into the generic questions topic even....

22 hours ago, LOBOT-OMY said:

Don't forget the UCS Sandcrawler ! :sweet:

Something I have looked at recently and looks awesome. I have never bought a UCS, but looking at how much retired sets go for on ebay I think I may have to sell myself and get Slave 1 before it gets waaaaay out of my league. Does anyone know when this set will be retired? As much as I would love to build a UCS MF it is not only pricewise out of my league but it is soooo big there is knowhere to have it on display. Slave 1 much easier to find space for.

3 hours ago, Brickdad said:

Something I have looked at recently and looks awesome. I have never bought a UCS, but looking at how much retired sets go for on ebay I think I may have to sell myself and get Slave 1 before it gets waaaaay out of my league. Does anyone know when this set will be retired? As much as I would love to build a UCS MF it is not only pricewise out of my league but it is soooo big there is knowhere to have it on display. Slave 1 much easier to find space for.

Agree with this.......My UCS Falcon takes up so much room. I just don't have the heart to dismantle it.

My favourite 3 UCS are - Y-Wing, Death Star II and Super Star Destroyer. All 3 look amazing on display. All are eclipsed by Mortesv's Neb-B ;)

For current UCS I would agree with Slave 1 and yes, I will be getting the snowspeeder as I missed it first time round.........

14 hours ago, Brickdad said:

Most UCS sets stay on the market for about 2 years. There are exceptions... the original UCS Death Star playset was on the market for 8 years before receiving a modest facelift last fall... it has proven to be perennially popular with kids so it could stay on the market for years to come. On the other hand, the second UCS X-Wing only lasted 18 months or so.

In theory the UCS Slave I is due to be retired next (it is the oldest on the market, having been released 28 months ago) but if it's still selling well, it could outlast the UCS TIE Fighter or even the much-maligned Assault on Hoth. When it is retired, there should be several months' notice... big box retailers will start to mark it down (first 10%, then 20%) then shop.lego.com will label it as "retiring soon," and a month or so later it will be gone.

Edited by jdubbs
correction

3 hours ago, jdubbs said:

In theory the UCS Slave I is due to be retired next (it is the oldest on the market, having been released 28 months ago) but if it's still selling well, it could outlast the UCS TIE Fighter or even the much-maligned Assault on Hoth. When it is retired, there should be several months' notice... big box retailers will start to mark it down (first 10%, then 20%) then shop.lego.com will label it as "retiring soon," and a month or so later it will be gone.

That's it settled for me then, Slave 1 it is. I will hold off as long as I can for a good deal or next time Lego shop have triple VIP points on the go. Just dreading telling my 5 year old son that this is "daddy's lego" and is for display only!