FactorXa

Which UCS Star Wars to buy?

I still have the UCS slave 1 in it's lego shipping box unopened ( no space to display it yet ) and I also have the UCS sandcrawler, again unopened for the same reason. Plus shuttle tydirium, jabbas palace and rancor, R1 Y-wing, Krennick Shuttle, U-wing, tie striker, AT-ST, Lando A-wing and more...........  :angry:

I just hope to get my spare room sorted with shelves / display storage etc before these sets are superceded !  

......."Too much lego, too little shelf space !!"

...... ^^ Oh yes, one more thing. UCS Snowspeeder will also be added to my box collection !  

If you can get your hands on a UCS Imperial Shuttle, you wont be disappointed. X-Wing and TIE Fighter are the essentials imo, grab those.

I don't know what to do with the Slave I.

I already have the 8097 version so I don't have the "necesity" of getting a Slave I. Plus, the UCS have a lotf of stickers and I don't like that, but is an UCS...

There are about a dozen stickers on the UCS Slave I. They're almost all subtle (weathering, texture, etc.) and not-that-essential to apply.

Personally I think that the UCS Slave 1 is the single best UCS produced to-date (Yes, I'm not forgetting the older MF, the Super Star Destroyer, Star Destroyer, or Imperial Shuttle). The Slave 1 is the perfect balance. It is detailed, has great mini-figures, doesn't price itself too high, has the right amount of "play features" and just looks amazing. The Boba Fett that comes with it is phenomenal (probably one of the best SW mini-figures ever made). The ship was designed to be 1:1 scale when compared to the mini-figures. It's literally almost perfect. I'd recommend watching the designer video, as it will give you a good idea of what you get. This video is what finally sold me on it.

Having said all that, with the exception of the Insult on Hoth, the UCS "playsets" have been really great in recent years. If you are looking for "dad's display sets", stick to the ones above. If you are looking for playability, read below. LOBOT-OMY beat me to it, but I'd keep an eye on the UCS Sandcrawler. It's a personal favorite of mine and is only one of two sets that I've purchased on day one. I'm still amazed by how many people overlook that set. It was awesome! The UCS Ewok Village and Death Star are also quite good. I'm hoping that the failure of the Hoth set doesn't discourage Lego from pursuing these in the future.

Thanks, am defo sold on Slave 1, going to buy it tonight with the 10% off deal. Will be a "dad display set" though my wife has already made her interest known in buidling the set with me when the wee man is in bed!

Regarding the sandcrawler, that is probably next on the list - and this would prob be one I would allow my son to play with, under close watch though!

Due to the cost of UCS I will only be buying one per year. If the sandcrawler is too costly this time next year then next on the wantlist will be the Speeder - though that will sit on display next to Slave 1.

I too love my Slave 1, it was my second UCS set but my fav thus far. Only thing I would mod is the wing connectors to the main base (creator used black pieces to create depth). There is a YouTube video about it, it's a bit involved.

Well, I am sure I will love my Slave 1 too....if I ever get to buy it! Am on lego store just now and keep getting errors (code: generic). Have never ordered from lego store before, is this normal?

I have a feeling the UCS Sandcrawler was recently discontinued, so anyone thinking of buying it please don't wait too long.  :wink: 

2 hours ago, Brickdad said:

Well, I am sure I will love my Slave 1 too....if I ever get to buy it! Am on lego store just now and keep getting errors (code: generic). Have never ordered from lego store before, is this normal?

The Red 'Generic Error' banner is quite normal, especially when the site is under any sort of load.  If you try it again early tomorrow it should be ok; I've found that clearing out your browsing history etc often helps!  If you still have problems with it, just submit an order via Customer Services on Monday.  Oh, and I'd highly recommend the UCS Slave 1 - it's one of my favourites; I didn't bother to apply the stickers as it looks fine without them :classic:  The underside greebling is a bit fragile, but it's interesting to build, looks stunning and it's well-priced. 

Thanks Lobot, glad it's not just me! Will try again tonight/tomorrow and revert to phone if necessary. Can't miss out on this Slave 1. Have not heard a bad word about it! Gonna look awesome in my studio.

On 29 April 2017 at 10:00 AM, hachiroku said:

I don't know what to do with the Slave I.

I already have the 8097 version so I don't have the "necesity" of getting a Slave I. Plus, the UCS have a lotf of stickers and I don't like that, but is an UCS...

As owner of both, I can say it's definitely worth getting the UCS as well IMO. 8097 was one of my favorite sets, I had it built and on display from when I got it in 2010 until last year when I got the UCS version. Seeing it next to the UCS was kind of shocking. "How could I have this on display for so long?!" If you have the money, go for the UCS!

Slave 1 looks great, but I'm not a Boba Fett fan and I really hate stickers, especially considering the price of the model.  Should have been printed pieces.