DrJB

Extra Vital Pieces after Completing a Set

In a recent thread, someone asked what the most difficult technic build was. I personally never 'felt' Technic was difficult but one respondent reported the Battle Droid 8002 was one of the most difficult sets.

So, curious, I managed to get one off eBay, disassembled it, cleaned it up, and decided to build. Yes, it was not an easy build ... but the most surprising to me was, at the end, I ended up with few 'serious' extra pieces (The droid came assembled). This is the very first time this happens to me. I must say though that the instructions have some 'errors' in them, and plus, working from a scanned PDF is far from ideal.

8002-1.png

So, how often do you end up with MORE extra pieces than you're comfortable with? Or, how often you complete a build, then realize you've messed up 'royally' somewhere?

Edited by DrJB

I remember I had two 7L beams left when building the Arocs. I found the place for them pretty quick so it wasn't a big deal. 

I think that's the only time I have experienced that. Mistakes are made every now and then, but I usually discover them before finishing the model.

When i built my 9398 i noticed an extra red beam and i found it's place after watching sariel's review :D

If you are real serious about finding where the (or if) these pieces are required, something you might try...

1. Disassemble using the instructions in reverse order and pay close attention to the call-outs for each step.

2. Reassemble using instructions.

I have had left over pieces, but it was usually because i missed a step. Depending on how serious you are, if you still have extra pieces, you might try to either buy a paper copy of the instructions or get a good scan from a known good paper copy.

I have had LEGO downloaded instructions missing steps on some sets... Drove me nuts until I found what happened.

Andy D

I had this happen last night with the CLAAS 42054, though not after completing it, rather after packing up for the evening I noticed I'd missed a 5M beam. Fortunately it was easy to see where it was missed as it was only 5-6 steps back. But it was quite a bit of disassembly to get it in place as it had to go in just before pushing some axles into place which were tricky to get back out again :)

As to mistakes, I've found the last 2 sets have had errors: The CLAAS misses the two 1L pins under the battery box at the front, while 42066 has the 3L axles with stop mislabelled as 4L with stop axles throughout in the main images (it's correct in the parts lists). I guess it's understandable with these big sets for a few mistakes to creep in, even with all the QC they go through.

I have built some sets and had parts left over, I can normally find where they go by looking through the instructions a few times.

12 hours ago, Choops said:

8002_first.gif

How did you make that?

I'm not against moderators 'editing' my threads' titles, but I think for this specific one, the new title is rather 'complicated'. When I think of VItal, to me it's organs necessary for the proper functioning of a human body. My intention however with this thread was not for 'vital' parts, but more for ordinary/key parts that were inadvertently missed i.e., extra parts BEYOND the spare parts. 

@DrJB So... Did you figure out where the parts go?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Nope ... too many things to do. Will leave that on backburner until I free up some hours :)

I once got an extra black panel, when I got the 24h race car 42039. I soon noticed I came another panel short. That was why the weight check in the Lego factory probably didn't catch the error.

34 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

I once got an extra black panel, when I got the 24h race car 42039. I soon noticed I came another panel short. That was why the weight check in the Lego factory probably didn't catch the error.

Do you mean in a different color?

A whole different part, in a different color. About the same size and weight though. I guess it's a rare case and I got a replacement panel from TLC with no problems.

I'm not so sure anymore about the weight check at TLG. Recently, I bought 2 elves sets for my daughter, and both of them had dragons inside. Somehow each had an extra wing, which is a fairly large part. Unless the bags are weighed properly, but the large pieces are not.

5 hours ago, DrJB said:

I'm not so sure anymore about the weight check at TLG. Recently, I bought 2 elves sets for my daughter, and both of them had dragons inside. Somehow each had an extra wing, which is a fairly large part. Unless the bags are weighed properly, but the large pieces are not.

I don't think TLG mind if the box weighs a little too much since the weight checks are made just to make sure no parts are missing. If both sets had an extra wing, all sets probably come with one extra, like the extra 32L axle in 42009

Edited by HallBricks

When I built the BWE in August, I had one 11L DBG liftarm leftover. I built everything as per the BI, so it seems I got one too much in the set.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:18 PM, JonathanM said:

The CLAAS misses the two 1L pins under the battery box at the front, 

Do you have more info on this? Page number from BI, perhaps? Or a link to an earlier discussion on EB? I've only just gotten the set. Will build it some time in 2021 ;).

17 hours ago, Error404 said:

When I built the BWE in August, I had one 11L DBG liftarm leftover. I built everything as per the BI, so it seems I got one too much in the set.

Me too, spent hours trying to figure out what I'd missed before coming to the conclusion that it was a spare.

5 hours ago, LucyCol said:

Me too, spent hours trying to figure out what I'd missed before coming to the conclusion that it was a spare.

23 hours ago, Error404 said:

Maybe it is for the c model? Maybe someone can verify. I got a spare on of this in the claas.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP._D-LfLUkp1_P4IGoq_NUIwEsDI&pid=15.1

14 hours ago, JimDude said:

Do you have more info on this? Page number from BI, perhaps? Or a link to an earlier discussion on EB? I've only just gotten the set. Will build it some time in 2021 ;).

Sure - it was under the motor, not the batt box. In the sub-construction that begins at step 165. At step 166 you want two 1/2 pins 4274 in the 32291 so they connect to the underside of the end of the M motor. Interestingly, the instructions on the web don't seem to show them, so perhaps they're no longer used, but I could have sworn they were shown in the image of the complete sub-construction at step 165 on my copy (purchased ~1 month ago). They likely aren't really required - just gives a bit more support to the back of the motor.

107.jpg

(Apologies for somewhat off-topic)

30 minutes ago, JonathanM said:

Sure - it was under the motor, not the batt box. In the sub-construction that begins at step 165. At step 166 you want two 1/2 pins 4274 in the 32291 so they connect to the underside of the end of the M motor. Interestingly, the instructions on the web don't seem to show them, so perhaps they're no longer used, but I could have sworn they were shown in the image of the complete sub-construction at step 165 on my copy (purchased ~1 month ago). They likely aren't really required - just gives a bit more support to the back of the motor.  

" Snip"

Apologies for somewhat off-topic)

Same problem for me, I installed the pins anyway.