Sign in to follow this  
astroknight

[MOCombiner] SPYRIUS Crypto Crawler

I decided to combine my two copies of 6889: Recon Robot into a single Spyrius vehicle. This model doesn't use every piece from both bots, but it does use most of them!

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

The Crypto Crawler is composed of a forward sensory module with eyes and grabbers, a central control module, and a rear storage module which carries tools and a unique payload.

1280x960.jpg

The arms are sturdy and can articulate similarly to arms found in official Spyrius sets,.the plane tail pieces give the neck an interesting "lean", and the face of the vehicle is cute and dinosaur-y (maybe a stolen Roboforce design?)

1280x960.jpg

A Spyrius minifigure can easily fit inside the middle segment, though access to the control panel there is a little snug.

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

Turntables connecting the segments allow the Crawler to slither around. Turning the end modules to the side also makes accessing the storage boxes easier.

1280x960.jpg

Once deployed, the Crypto Crawler's cool cargo requires some re-configuration by Spyrius agents...

1280x960.jpg

1280x960.jpg

Voila! This lightweight, fold-out flying vehicle was mostly a way of using up some of the more specialized parts that didn't make it into the main model, but I'm actually very happy with how closely it resembles designs from retro games like Galaga.

I started this MOC as an exercise in utilizing a limited parts palette while trying to match the aesthetics of an official theme, and I'm very satisfied with the results. The modular design also means that, if I ever get my hands on a third Recon Robot, I could turn it into additional segments that slot right in to this model!

You can find more pictures of the Crypto Crawler on my Bricksafe. Critiques are welcome!