Sven F

[MOC] Funicular railway

Hi. 

Here's a funicular I built for an exhibition hosted by our LUG Kockice.   It is based on a real life model called "uspinjaca"  from my hometown Zagreb, Croatia (south-eastern Europe).  It's apparently one of the shortest and steepest lines in the world (although the Los Angeles funicular sometimes takes that title). It doesn't really matter.

It is still in operation today, mostly used by tourists to get a good view of downtown Zagreb. (more on Wikipedia)

The incline angle had to match any one of the existing LEGO slope pieces so I could adapt the cars and surroundings more easily, this makes the whole build hard to match real proportions, but that is always the case with LEGO.

The cars are counter-weighed by boat weights and pulled by LEGO Technic spools. Only one M motor runs them through a worm gear.  The switch is hidden beneath the track in the top station so the car that reaches the top can change the direction of the spools.  The switch knobs can also be easily removed if you want to manually control the cars using a train speed regulator. 

34047559561_327b48c736_c.jpgUspinjaca Funicular by Sven Franic, on Flickr

34138042636_81399e7609_c.jpgUspinjaca Funicular by Sven Franic, on Flickr

If you are wondering why that guy is trying to burn the street lamp, we still have people who go around the old part of town every night with a special stick, manually lighting all the gas lamps. (nazigac on google).

34138046896_d90ec96a14_c.jpgUspinjaca Funicular by Sven Franic, on Flickr

There is also a low quality video of it running on my flickr page.

Edited by Sven F

This is a fantastic MOC, I love the use of color throughout. It makes the scene look that much more alive!

This is awesome! Really like how you have captured the feel of a large scale object and compacted it so well. Keep up the awesome work

Fantastic stuff!! The whole scene looks perfect; from the cars themselves to the stations the landscaping and the surrounding buildings (great looking roof design!!) The streetlight lighter guy is a cool touch too!!

Nice work!!

Wow this is so cool! Love it! :wub: Especially the surrounding cityscape and all the extra details. Fantastic MOC and the video of it working is great. Also a shout out to Los Angeles but LA's funicular is perpetually broken. :tongue:

This is both brilliant and timely... I've just built one in OO gauge! (The cars look similar too...)

You have created a scene with a natural feel to it, and incorporated working features and details. Well done.

a beautiful model, just truely stunning and functional.  I only wish I had the time and imagination to come up with something like this.  I love to see annimation in lego displays, and this is just perfect.  

Really beautiful model, Sven F. It reminded me of a trip to Bergen, Norway, where they have quite long funicular. It is an amazing trip, going uphill having a view over the city.

I have been thinking about making a funicular myself, but nowhere any real plans. You show how nice it can look and work. A really welcome part in any layout. I would love to see that at an LEGO event. :thumbup:

Thanks again.

@Laka; if all goes to plan, you should be able to see it in Skærbæk this year, that can't be too far from you. :classic:

Having recently visited Zagreb and seeing "Uspinjaca" in person, I can say this is an excellent representation of it in LEGO form. Great job Sven! :thumbup: :classic:

14 hours ago, Sven F said:

@Laka; if all goes to plan, you should be able to see it in Skærbæk this year, that can't be too far from you. :classic:

As Denmark is a rather small country, it is not too far. Though for me it is "on the other side of the country". :wink: I have never been in Skærbæk, maybe this year should be the first.

Wow, this is really great work!! There is so much detail and the difference in height make it so attractive to watch!!!