Paperballpark

[MOC] Palace of Westminster

I originally posted this in the Scale Models forum, where it was promptly ignored - it seems that wasn't the correct forum, despite this being pretty much a scale model... Anyway. this is what I've been working on for the past 5 months.

Almost as soon as the Big Ben set was released, I knew that the full Palace of Westminster needed to be done to the same scale. So I decided to do it. As it's now finished, I wanted to show it off. It will be on public display for the first time at Bricktastic in Manchester, UK, on Sat 1 - Sun 2 July.

It took me a total of 234 hours to build (yes, I kept track), and about 20-30 hours beforehand to plan it out.

In total, it uses approximately 50,000 pieces. I opened a total of 10 Big Ben sets to build it (not including the set used for the Big Ben part of it), and I also placed 70 Bricklink orders to get extra pieces - over 11,000 extra pieces! That's in addition to using an estimated 6000 pieces from my own collection. I did have a lot of spare pieces left over from the Big Ben sets though.

The model itself splits into 6 main sections for transport, and you'll probably be able to spot the joins if you look closely, as my kitchen floor is not very level. It measures 177.6cm (70in) wide, by 100cm (39in) deep, by 70cm (27.5in) high.

More photos are available on my Flickr. If you want to see it 'in the brick', as it were, it will be at Bricktastic in Manchester, UK, on Sat 1 - Sun 2 July. As the show is organised by the charity Fairy Bricks, all proceeds from the show will go to them. I'd also like to say a big thank you to Kev from Fairy Bricks for his encouragement and support during the planning and building of this project. :thumbup:

If you have any questions I haven't covered above, just ask. :classic:

33761462320_7c04ccc115_b.jpg

33989091572_e8e4236064_b.jpg

33761644540_14087eced4_b.jpg

33303822904_ba7451da55_b.jpg

33989109702_63a48d628a_b.jpg

33303806924_2273d0de93_b.jpg

This is remarkable! I concur it belongs on permanent display! You must have been dreaming in tan and grey for the past few months.

Astonishing. Absolutely incredible and amazing work you've done. You and your build will be remembered forever in the Lego records. 100% master builder. Its gorgeous. You should have your own display day in front of the real thing. 

This is incredible. But I can't imagine spending that amount of money or time on any one project. I guess that's why I don't have any large impressive projects under my belt.

This shows the hard work you've put into it. I've never been, but there are so many tiny details that I am guessing are realistic that are quite impressive.

It would be really neat to see it in person.

This is unbelievable awesome!! Love it, wish I could see it in real life. Keep up the awesome work

"Awesome" is used far too freely these days, but this MOC really is deserving of being called awesome. It's fantastic! :wub:

Will it be on display in London at any point?

Have you considered contacting the Houses of Parliament/Palace of Westminster to find out if they would like to display it? It sounds daft but you might be surprised. 

Wow...simply Wow.. when the Big Ben set was released i did wonder if anyone would attempt this.. I Love it. such a great job. Belongs on display permanently

Edited by terryfay1983

Wow really crazy! Like others said: this should be on display somewhere so more people can see your truly terrific work!

This is why I love this site! There are so many talented builders and amazing projects, of which this is one of the best!

Now you get to start the interiors...

Edited by NewTown

WOW, this is really crazy MOC. You've built it perfectly with so many details. Good job!

I saw this on the Brother's Brick yesterday and instantly thought 'WOW! That's incredible!' Then I forwarded the link to some work colleagues who all pretty much said the same thing! Truly beautiful, a work of art and really deserves all the recognition you should get for your hard work. A M A Z I N G !

On 21-4-2017 at 2:37 PM, Paperballpark said:

I originally posted this in the Scale Models forum, where it was promptly ignored - it seems that wasn't the correct forum, despite this being pretty much a scale model... Anyway. this is what I've been working on for the past 5 months.

Incredible build!

I still like to move this to the scale modelers forum, since it definitely belongs there. We are contemplating making it a separate forum, so it will gain more momentum.

004a044e1927a979dbf090ba65323894381708169d8592afbb7b70100f3e244a.jpg

Perfect job building off of the Big Ben to complete it! Thumbs up.

LMF

Edited by LegoMonorailFan

16 hours ago, Jim said:

Incredible build!

I still like to move this to the scale modelers forum, since it definitely belongs there. We are contemplating making it a separate forum, so it will gain more momentum.

It's already in there Jim, as a separate thread. I do think there needs to be some clarity as to what goes in there and what goes in here, as there's quite a bit of overlap and confusion at the moment. I think most people in the Scale Models forum seem to think it's mainly for vehicles. Plus, this forum says it's for Architecture.

1 hour ago, Paperballpark said:

It's already in there Jim, as a separate thread. I do think there needs to be some clarity as to what goes in there and what goes in here, as there's quite a bit of overlap and confusion at the moment. I think most people in the Scale Models forum seem to think it's mainly for vehicles. Plus, this forum says it's for Architecture.

Okay, having two topics is never a good idea. I will hide the other one. 

I know it can be confusing, but scale modeling is definitely not only for vehicles. 

Let's leave this topic here for now and when we have upgraded the SMF to a dedicated forum, we can always move it. I will discuss whether Architecture would need to moved to SMF instead of Special Themes.

On 21-4-2017 at 2:37 PM, Paperballpark said:

I originally posted this in the Scale Models forum, where it was promptly ignored - it seems that wasn't the correct forum, despite this being pretty much a scale model... 

I so see a lot of reactions over there too, so it wasn't really ignored.