Sign in to follow this  
Admiral Bejaune

Lego Cannons

What size does everybody think the lego system cannons are... Are they 12 pounders, 18 pounders, etc..

I think we should come to an agreement on an official size of the lego system cannons for this forum. What does everyone think?

-TGREEN

I think that's a mighty fine idea.

I'm not sure what size they'd be, but they'd be huge. I'd say about 18 pounds at least. Those would be giant cannon balls for sure.

Maybe this thread would work better as a poll giving people a choice between three or four different cannon sizes.

But for it to work there would have to get some factual information to educate people on the different cannon sizes so they could make a reasonable assessment.

Since I know little of cannons we need an expert to provide the information, or someone to do some research...

Maybe this thread would work better as a poll giving people a choice between three or four different cannon sizes.

But for it to work there would have to get some factual information to educate people on the different cannon sizes so they could make a reasonable assessment.

Since I know little of cannons we need an expert to provide the information, or someone to do some research...

Here's the Wiki about "Naval Artillery In The Age Of Sail"...found it after I asked about chasers the other day.

Enjoy, all.

I personally agree that Lego cannons are probably in the neighborhood of 18 to 20 pounders...but I'm certainly no expert.

Your right.. We need to get a few people together to collaborate and then post the info on the different cannons sizes.. then we should poll... and i agree that they are large... I would say 18 pounders fit the bill.....

So if there is anyone out there who knows about cannons, please post your knowledge... Until then it looks like Im going to wikipedia....

36-pound, 24-pound and 12-pound calibres was the standarized guns of the french fleet.

RN used 42-pounders, 32-pounders, 24-pounders, 18-pounders, 12-pounders, 9-pounders, 8-pounders, 6-pounders and several other small guns.

And if we now set the size of the lego cannon to lets say 18pounder we will get a problem when comparing mocs or lego sets . if a rowboat (Harbour sentry) carry a 18pounder and the broadside of BSB is two 18 pounders it will then say that three roboats outgun one of the biggest ships..

But, i too think that if we look at the lego gun it must be a BIG one. 18 or 24 pounder. would say more of a 24 pounder.

nyholmen1.jpg

This is a 12pounder and it look to small for the lego cannon. so at lease 18 pounder but my guess is 24 pounder. and the height of a bullet( round brick 1x1) in LDRAW is 24 so why not a 24 pounder ;-)

I've asked a similar question in the past and i came to my own conclusion. X-D

Here's the related thread:

Caliber of Lego Canons

and here's a quote as to what my conclusion is:

We now consider

blurrycannon.jpg_thumb.jpg to be 1-4 pound swivel,

cannon.jpg_thumb.jpg to be a 9-12 pounder,

regcannon.jpg_thumb.jpg to be a 18-24 pounder,

32pounder.jpg_thumb.jpg to be a 32-36 pounder,

I figure the lego cannons should cover a small range of calibers since there is a limited brick sizes availible for making cannons.

in general the standard sizes for long guns seem to include

4,9,12,18 (main long gun on British frigates),24 (US mainly),32(British i think), and 36 lb (French i'm sure).

Also, if you'd like this thread to be a poll, let us know (by PM or a post) what you'd like your poll options to be.

I suggest 9, 12, 18, 24, 32, or 36 lb for options. X-D

Edited by phred

I'd guess they couldn't weigh more than a couple of ounces... :-P

Steve

I guess the best way to tell would be to have somebody find pics of the different cannons with a person standing next to it to get a sense of scale.

yea 18 pounders for sure

:-D *sweet*

yea 18 pounders for sure

:-D *sweet*

Why are you laughing about this? *wacko*

36-pound, 24-pound and 12-pound calibres was the standarized guns of the french fleet.

RN used 42-pounders, 32-pounders, 24-pounders, 18-pounders, 12-pounders, 9-pounders, 8-pounders, 6-pounders and several other small guns.

Yeah, this makes sense.

I don't know about this, but did the french have 18 pounders for their frigates?

That's would have been scary if they were all 12 pounders against British 18's :'-(

P

Remember cannons are judged by there ammo's weight. There ammo is a 1 x 1 x??? cylinder. 36 pounders shot something the size of a coconut in my book. Last time i checked coconuts do not have a 1ft diameter. It wouldn't be any lower than 36 pounds so i am saying between 36-48 maybe more like a 68 carronade. I wonder how they held the carronade shots. Not a powder monkeys ob.

BTW a 12 pounder isnt that much smaller than a 36 pounder. In overall size of the cannon they aren't 1/3 the size.

All this info is coming from a cross-section of the HMS Victory.

I want to get my point across this cannons barrel diameter is huge it should be a mortar.

24 pounders shot a ball size of a grape fruit.

Measly 12's shot something the size of an orange.

Edited by Captain Ka-Boom

Hmmm.. I've never even thought of that before. How big are they?

I'm kind of an expert in this area but in modern artillery only... but if we think that round 1x1 lego brick as a round shot... it's in my opinion 32 to 36 bounder. For example, if round shot is 16cm in diameter and it's iron of course :-D and iron weighs about 7kg/15,5lb / dm3. If I calculate that...that shot weighs about 15kg/32lb

And please correct me if I calculated wrong, but I don't think so..