Sign in to follow this  
Detroitika

[MOC] Droideka at Minifig Scale

At the end of 2016 I built this detailed Droideka out of Lego, Brickarms, and Brickforge parts. 

31206482863_8265e02836_c.jpgDroideka by Detroitika, on Flickr

The only modified parts are the tips of the blasters. They used to be an old dark gray antenna which I received broken in a garage sale lot. I cut it into four equal lengths and drilled a hole in each. No other Lego, discounting some cut flex tube, was harmed. 

I tried to build an interior like the Trade Federation ship from Episode I., but tried to light the picture like the interior of The Invisible Hand (Grievous' ship) from Episode III. 

Hope you enjoy!

This looks absolutely fantastic. all the details are there while maintaining the correct scale. I particularly love the clever use of parts, especially the helmet for the belly.

Awesome, very initiative use with the helmet, you have definitely viewed parts in different ways which is what I seem to struggle with in my builds.

I'll admit, I am not a fan of a bunch of tiny pieces crammed into a small MOC , with all the illegal techniques and custom parts. But I suppose it is it's own art form. Droideka is the coolest CIS droid, and you captured all the detail. I really like the upside down helmet (that is new). and your background to showcase it is stunning!

I'm not a huge fan of the third party stuff involved but this model is a thing of beauty at this scale! 

Thanks so much, everybody! :classic:

On 4/20/2017 at 2:34 PM, LaPasnaille said:

Is it sturdy enough?

It is! The tri-legged base isn't flimsy, and is rather wide, so it's oodles harder to knock over than a minifigure. Pick it up by the wrong piece, however -- different story!

On 4/20/2017 at 7:26 PM, Smitty500 said:

I'll admit, I am not a fan of a bunch of tiny pieces crammed into a small MOC , with all the illegal techniques and custom parts. But I suppose it is it's own art form. 

On 4/20/2017 at 8:15 PM, Forresto said:

I'm not a huge fan of the third party stuff involved

That's a completely fair complaint. I used to feel the same way. However, after being steeped in years of many fellow FOLs utilizing 3rd party parts made for use with Lego, instead of ripoff brand parts made to cheaply replace Lego, I've got no qualms about getting clever with novel elements! If this helps to "convert" you at all (:devil:), check out some phenomenal use of Brickarms elements in a build by a fellow Flickr member. https://www.flickr.com/photos/legouli/16176433792/in/dateposted/