legoemma

Help requested for thesis research on LEGO Ideas platform

HEY All,

❤ LEGO ❤

We are two flourishing LEGO FANS who have decided to dedicate our Thesis research to an extensive study of the LEGO user's impressions on the LEGO Ideas platform and the fan contribution to TLG - basically on all of you!! ?

SO, we would like to ask you 4 brief questions, which will be used as qualitative data in our thesis.

1. How and why has the LEGO Ideas changed your perception of TLG?

2. What would it take for you to feel alienated by LEGO in terms of their new ideas for co-creation? Or can LEGO do no wrong when it comes to creating with fans? 

3. Would you say that LEGO co-creating with fans have made you more loyal to the brand? How?

4. Did the Lego Ideas Test Lab influence your perception of TLG? 

THANK YOU for any comments and responses!

AND if ANY of you would like to help us even more - we would like to set up a skype-chat / informal interview with you, it will take no more than 10-15 minutes of your time ? It would be greatly appreciated!! 

Edited by legoemma
This post can be deleted, as well as the comments, as the project is now over! Thanks for all participation!

Hey @legoemma!

Welcome to Eurobricks, do stick around! :classic:

As for your questions,

1. It shows that TLG does care about AFOLs and wants to make some popular designs into sets. Of course it doesn't mean that the system is perfect, but it's a good sign.

2. I feel sometimes that the projects that LEGO chooses to make into a set aren't really the best ones in the group. I wouldn't say "LEGO can do no wrong", but they do what they want to do. However, the part I'm not such a fan of is that once a MOC is submitted to LEGO Ideas, it is essentially LEGO's and not yours anymore (meaning LEGO can release it subsequently as a set under a different theme without crediting you and your Ideas project).

3. No... I've always been very loyal :laugh: and still am!

4. IDK much about the LEGO Ideas test lab, as I was not a part of it.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hello!

1. I'd say it hasn't really changed my perspective of Lego drastically. I think it is cool they give a chance to us common Joe's to created a set. Even if it isn't accepted, I think it's just cool to have a place to showcase your ideas with a shot(however small) at it becoming a real set. I just think its a really cool idea with opportunity for some awesome sets. I haven't bought any ideas sets yet, but they've all looked pretty cool.

2. I'd say it'd be pretty hard for them to make a mistake that would alienate me, and if they did it would probably be a major disaster on their end. Like if they choose to make a set about a theme I don't like. Not just like say a show I don't like or a movie, but more I guess something I disagree with personally. They've been careful to avoid controversial topics in any form so I strongly doubt they'd do anything drastic.

3. I wouldn't say more loyal, I'm just as loyal before as after. I'd say I'm more like that's a cool idea, maybe one day I'll submit one.

4. Don't really know much about it, i really don't keep up much with Ideas. Seems like a cool think.

Final thoughts: cool survey! Good luck with the research. If you have more questions feel free to ask them here I'm sure many people will be willing to help.

Hi legoemma,

maybe an online survey would be better platform for your research, than collecting the answers from comments. I am not familiar with how to create them, but I know they exist, just google for possibilities.

Cheers!

Hey @agrof ! We will definitely consider a survey, however the focus of our study is on communities and communication between users, so the inputs of other users here at Eurobricks and the impact this has on others' thought process is also important - would be a shame to miss out if this was the case!

Hope to have as many responses as possible, any help is greatly appreciated, even if the response is only a few sentences, or you only want to answer 1 of the questions! :classic:

Thanks to all of you!

Here's my twopenneth.

1. Lego Ideas hasn't really changed my opinion of them as a company. They have an excellent brand identity built on the quality of their product so they don't need to offer something like this to improve their image in my eyes.

2. I think you'd have to be looking for something to have a Lego Ideas release alienate you. It's a Lego set... why would any set alienate anyone? The platform is very open so unless Lego specifically chose to stop me participating then I don't see how alienation can occur. Rather than 'do no wrong' I think it would be really hard for Lego to alienate it's fanbase though a set release.

3. I wouldn't say it's made me more or less loyal. My loyalty is down to Lego's build quality and design ethic. They work hard to get things right and they pick up the right partnerships and licenses to release great product.

4. I have no idea what the Test Lab is.