Tommy Styrvoky

[MOC] [LDD] Star Wars Rebels Interdictor Class Cruiser

1 hour ago, Mamma Mia Bricks said:

Impressive! Makes me want to build it in real life!

Is there any way to stock minifigures inside with the right modifications?

It could be possible, though the side hinges need to be modified to double hinges, and there isn't too much internal space in the model, given this is supposed to be more of a replica than a playable model.

Rebrickable page is up now https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-7985/TommyStyrvoky/interdictor-class-cruiser/

I realized in the middle of rendering the images that one of the inputs for the HDRI environmental image for lighting the model was incorrect, thus the HDRI image wasn't lighting the model accurately, just the sun lamp. Thus giving a not so realistic homogeneous lighting and reflections. I will re-render some more views of it in 1080 with the new lighting. During the process of rendering the blueprint orthographic views of the model, It was rather taxing on my computer, it used 9 GB of memory, and the model had 70 million triangles, making it nearly impossible to do anything without a 1-2 minute wait, but here are the results. 

34408384246_4c1f5d2652_b.jpgLego Star Wars Interdictor Class Cruiser Blueprint layout by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Hello!

Your Interdictor looks epic now that it is finished, great job on the greebling and frame! I am surprised at how many pieces there are as the model is relatively small. May I ask what did you use to render this model?

Kind regards, Ellis.

35 minutes ago, Ellisss_2 said:

Hello!

Your Interdictor looks epic now that it is finished, great job on the greebling and frame! I am surprised at how many pieces there are as the model is relatively small. May I ask what did you use to render this model?

Kind regards, Ellis.

I used Blender's Cycles rendering engine. There is a Ldraw importer plugin for the program that I use to import models. I orignally used just Ldraw for my models, though some of the angles are rather difficult to make in the program. So now my workflow is to use LDD->Stud.io->Ldraw->Blender to convert the model to the proper format. I have an outdated video covering the process, as I should make a newer version in the future, as a lot has changed since then in terms of quality for rendering. 

You should really check out Mecabricks. It allows you to to import LDD files and then export directly to .dae or .obj. There's also a material conversion script here.

9 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

You should really check out Mecabricks. It allows you to to import LDD files and then export directly to .dae or .obj. There's also a material conversion script here.

I know about Mecabricks, I have used it, and may experiment with it more, though it feels like the materials for it are way too shiny compared to real life bricks.

here's a couple more renders. I tried to replicate some of Mustafar's texture for the planet, though It is rather difficult, as the atmosphere is rather weird when exposed to light.

33657618744_d422a25aa6_c.jpgLego Star Wars Interdictor Class Cruiser by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

34114517040_94e97c0311_c.jpgLego Star Wars Interdictor Class Cruiser by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky