Dakar A

[MOC] Police Headquarters

Ever since I got the Fire Brigade, I've wanted a modular police station. Sure, the City theme seems to put them out every other week, and they all seem to fill the role well. But there has been no bona-fide modular police station, and with my first planned modular MOC I set out to change that. 

I present to you the Police Headquarters

33223051754_fce2ef7c16_b.jpg

The build was inspired by a number of things. Jasper Joppe Geer's excellent Muntstraat Police HQ and the old Hartford, Connecticut Post Office building in particular, along with Lego set 7744. But they all combined to make something new (and big!).

This was my first build through LDD, but like all good builds I started with a drawing!

33697538170_9e28f735ca_b.jpg

Then came 7+ drafts and revisions in LDD, each with a number of renders in POV-Ray to see how they might look in real life

27008909681_e9824f59ba_o.gif

The building has 3 fully decorated floors with a bevy of details.

First floor:

33923574262_a96bc51e55_b.jpg

33923539102_da4a9fe760_b.jpg

34080131955_6b78143763_b.jpg

33950621181_0d480b43ef_b.jpg

Second floor:

33923605592_bdffa13ae3_b.jpg

34080263045_379e64e9b4_b.jpg

33238305304_1672eb2d75_b.jpg

33696104910_bc44dceefd_b.jpg

34040176446_1b1aa9759b_b.jpg

33238418694_316ef5462b_b.jpg

Third Floor:

34080003875_e2a15f4100_b.jpg

34039921546_95568c1f82_b.jpg

34040183896_dd2b733da4_b.jpg

33950717761_0700fb6890_b.jpg

33696144270_db2b916c3d_b.jpg

34080270015_4c3160ce20_b.jpg

33695843300_099d8b420b_b.jpg

Exterior detail:

33268894463_7a9a9056c2_b.jpg

33268831753_88d9c8fd39_b.jpg

33268787443_3f84d0c958_b.jpg

33269014783_5e55d7b1d9_b.jpg

33696066520_a7c88759a6_b.jpg

33950676651_c46c661e7a_b.jpg

More images (and many more renders and LDD screenshots) can be found in an album on my Flickr.

For those interested, I am in the process of polishing instructions and eventually intend to put them up for purchase.

Thanks for viewing, criticism and critique welcome!

Love it!!!

- I like the way you used the helmet to create the washing bowl

- the flag in the corner is a nice detail

Great Work!!!

Greetings

I like this a lot. The exterior design is almost flawless and the interior details are very well done!

Brilliant design and perfect exterior. The way you have captured the exterior details is superb and the inside with all the little quirks and features is just as impressive.

I noted your comment on our build of a Police station where you said you were in the middle of creating something similar and I can see why now ! I also see your comment on us squeezing it all into one 32x32 was good and why you have used two base plates as yours is huge !! It must weigh something with all those bricks.

I do love the windows and the columns and how it looks great from any angle, something not easy to pull off but you have managed it so well played sir

Marvelous Police Station! Nice details like the water fountain. Thanks for including your original drawing to see where the inspiration started.

20 hours ago, carebear said:

Love it!!!

- I like the way you used the helmet to create the washing bowl

- the flag in the corner is a nice detail

Great Work!!!

Greetings

17 hours ago, J_C said:

the flag in the corner is the winner! :classic:

Thank you guys so much! It's one of my favorite details

13 hours ago, Jasper Joppe Geers said:

Fantastic!

Clever use of those baseplates. ;)

18 hours ago, peedeejay said:

I like this a lot. The exterior design is almost flawless and the interior details are very well done!

Thank you guys for the praise! I use your modulars as inspiration, so it's great to hear you enjoy mine!

12 hours ago, kjm161 said:

Marvelous Police Station! Nice details like the water fountain. Thanks for including your original drawing to see where the inspiration started.

15 hours ago, swisstony said:

Brilliant design and perfect exterior. The way you have captured the exterior details is superb and the inside with all the little quirks and features is just as impressive.

I noted your comment on our build of a Police station where you said you were in the middle of creating something similar and I can see why now ! I also see your comment on us squeezing it all into one 32x32 was good and why you have used two base plates as yours is huge !! It must weigh something with all those bricks.

I do love the windows and the columns and how it looks great from any angle, something not easy to pull off but you have managed it so well played sir

20 hours ago, Kjellevirus said:

Very nice build. Lots of details everywhere.. And... you didn't forget to deliver enough donuts for the cops :wink:

Thank you!

I like how much natural lighting accentuated this build, good choices in both the actual structure and the photoshoot.

2 minutes ago, legofives said:

I like how much natural lighting accentuated this build, good choices in both the actual structure and the photoshoot.

Yeah, I just wasn't getting the results I was wanting with artificial. I figured I could order a big white photography screen to accommodate the size of the model, or I could roll with the punches and use natural lighting. I particularly liked the bokeh and color contrast that the grass and vines on my fence gave the model! 

Just now, Dakar A said:

Yeah, I just wasn't getting the results I was wanting with artificial. I figured I could order a big white photography screen to accommodate the size of the model, or I could roll with the punches and use natural lighting. I particularly liked the bokeh and color contrast that the grass and vines on my fence gave the model! 

Color looks best in the sun, nothing more to it.

Very well done. I actually was inspired to build a police Modular as well recently. I have only begun my initial drawings, but oddly enough it shares a lot in common with your drawing. Eliminate the garages, but the rest with the outshoot centrally is oddly familiar. I like the overall look of the building. The details work really well here. The Post Office is something of interest. I had not seen that building before. I can see the inspiration and it translates well to Modular format.

The interior details are quite clever. I am not too familiar with the interiors of too many police stations, so I wouldn't know what to put in them if I ever get around to building mine. But I like the depth you've created here and I hope to achieve something notable as well.

Keep up the good work.

2 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Very well done. I actually was inspired to build a police Modular as well recently. I have only begun my initial drawings, but oddly enough it shares a lot in common with your drawing. Eliminate the garages, but the rest with the outshoot centrally is oddly familiar. I like the overall look of the building. The details work really well here. The Post Office is something of interest. I had not seen that building before. I can see the inspiration and it translates well to Modular format.

The interior details are quite clever. I am not too familiar with the interiors of too many police stations, so I wouldn't know what to put in them if I ever get around to building mine. But I like the depth you've created here and I hope to achieve something notable as well.

Keep up the good work.

Yeah, the interior details were a challenge because beyond Law and Order and other TV procedurals, I had no idea what the interior of a police station should be! Obviously I took a lot of inspiration from 7744, and some of the parts were just modified residence creations (chief's office, bathroom), but I did gather some interior shots of 1900's era police stations for my mood boards. Thanks for the praise!

I loved this building when you first presented the LDD version.  Looks even better in real bricks!

On 4/18/2017 at 9:42 PM, LegoMonorailFan said:

Lovely modular! Thumbs up.

On 4/19/2017 at 9:46 AM, Svendp said:

very well done

Thank you both!

21 minutes ago, Kristel said:

I loved this building when you first presented the LDD version.  Looks even better in real bricks!

I totally agree! Thank you for the feature back then, it's still the most popular picture on my Flickr.

Nice, really really nice. Exellent details. Makes me want to start building a policestation to my New York inspired legocity :wink:

Fantastic level of detail, the color scheme is great and there is so much variation in depth.

I cannot imagine Lego creates a better one. This is the best Police Headquarters I've ever seen!