Sign in to follow this  
offroadcreations

[WIP] Ultra4 Buggy + Black Edition

Hello all!

800x480.jpg

Today I am presenting my newest project, an Ultra4 buggy. I know it isn't an exact copy, but I based it off one I saw and added my own details, like fake injector stacks. All that is left is an interior and working on the front suspension some more. I'm not very good at making them (suspensions), so it usually takes a while to finish them. Oh, and there's one more thing... I need to test it! I haven't been able to, because it is using broken motors as stand-ins, because my working ones are in something else. I will replace them with the real 2 L-motors and 1 Servo. I plan on using an SBrick. Tell me what you think of it so far, and what else I should add later.

800x480.jpg800x480.jpg

Thanks for taking a look!

Edit: Here is the video of the completed model.

LDD: http://bricksafe.com/files/Offroadcreations/competition-buggy/Ultra.4 FINAL.lxf

Rebrickable: http://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-7815/offroadcreations/ultra4-buggy/

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

Great moc so far, I am always impressed with your: offroadcreations . What gearing does is have?

A good start. How much travel does the front suspension have? Because at such a shallow angel, the travel is reduced by quite a bit. However, I do like that you added positive caster. Is it very sturdy like that, or does it wobble, because I have had that issue with a few of my buggies before.

Another thing, why no a Ir system so it is all official lego/affordability.

Edited by Aventador2004

Okay, I've fixed the suspension, it now works better, and I will post a picture later.

On ‎4‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:18 AM, Leonardo da Bricki said:

A good start. How much travel does the front suspension have? Because at such a shallow angel, the travel is reduced by quite a bit. However, I do like that you added positive caster. Is it very sturdy like that, or does it wobble, because I have had that issue with a few of my buggies before.

It actually has good travel, and I made it sturdier. 

@Aventador2004

You could use a reciever, since this only requires 2 ports so far. I may add lights so it uses more ports, though.

I still plan to add an interior, and front and rear lights.

EDIT: It is later now, so enjoy!

800x480.jpg

picture

ok, i didn't realize you were using lights. if you use the suspension on the front i would suggest soft springs.

btw if this was a road vehicle i made a turn signal idea (not posted yet) if you are interested, for the vehicle of course.

Edited by Aventador2004

Okay, here are some more pics of the additions I talked about. Also, I changed the top of the front springs so they are LBG, but still hard. 

800x480.jpg800x480.jpg800x480.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality images.

I tested it with an IR reciever and it is good except for the steering, which has very bad toe-in. I will probably have to rebuild the steering again.

7 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

I tested it with an IR reciever and it is good except for the steering, which has very bad toe-in. I will probably have to rebuild the steering again.

Looks good! If you have too much toe in it might be causes by different length control arm to steering linkage or the steering linkage isn't in like with the wheel hubs, both will cause toe in. 

Have a look at 42037 front suspension and you'll see what I mean. Hopefully this makes sense :thumbup:

Here are some more pics of it with the new suspension. I've also got a cool idea for custom decals.

800x480.jpg800x480.jpg800x480.jpg

I also want to know what color you think the interior should be?

They look ok. Maybe add a offset color.

Like adding more white beams.

Edited by Aventador2004

On 20/04/2017 at 11:28 PM, Offroadcreat1ons said:

@DugaldIC Thank you, I think that actually was the problem. 

Is it all working properly now? No more toe in issues? If so I'm glad I was able to help, I had that same issue when I first started making my mocs!  It looks good all done, I'm not the biggest fan of decals the the shape is excellent :thumbup:

1 hour ago, DugaldIC said:

Is it all working properly now? No more toe in issues? If so I'm glad I was able to help, I had that same issue when I first started making my mocs!  It looks good all done, I'm not the biggest fan of decals the the shape is excellent :thumbup:

Yes, it works fine, thank you! I'm not that good at making front suspensions, I try to make them too small and get the linkages the wrong length.

Here is a picture showing the suspension flex, a Ferrari can partially fit underneath! :classic:

800x480.jpg

I also changed the secondary color to yellow, should the spoiler be changed too?

800x480.jpg

I will be starting the filming for the video soon.

8 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

Nice improvements, but I think the spoiler should remain red, with just the seats being yellow. Or you could add a yellow stripe up the middle.

I second this. Just read the whole thread and I really like how this is coming along!

On a side note, I also appreciate the fact that you are really making use of the WIP-idea. I mean you are actually trying to gain feedback to improve your build. Sometimes a WIP-topic is more of a uni-directional report. There's nothing wrong with that, but I like this better.

7 hours ago, Didumos69 said:

I second this. Just read the whole thread and I really like how this is coming along!

On a side note, I also appreciate the fact that you are really making use of the WIP-idea. I mean you are actually trying to gain feedback to improve your build. Sometimes a WIP-topic is more of a uni-directional report. There's nothing wrong with that, but I like this better.

Thank you, I really appreciate that. :classic: I agree that WIP topics can be very useful to help a build, because the EB community can really be involved.

Here is it with the front stripe compared to the old one, which is on the right.

800x480.jpg

Here is the new one just by itself:

800x480.jpg

Added the new one just by itself.

It doesn't need the stripe in the hood in my opinion. It somehow reminds me of one of my first sets, the 8845 Dune Buggy, but this one obviously is more advanced and looks better. It does make me want to see this with a black cabin / roof instead of LBG.

I know it doesn't need a grill, but maybe some small headlights to give it a little bit 'face'?

800x450.jpg