Legostone

Captain Rijsk's Unfortunate Day, Part 3 - Again?

Part I
Part II
After acquiring a new boat, Captain Rijsk went out for another adventure. His new Dhow, outfitted for fishing, once again, ran right into the hands of a much larger Garvian Xebec - he isn't the luckiest person in the world, after all. Well, he survived the previous adventures, so maybe he is?

33671333100_43112ace20_c.jpg

The catch of the day was safely put on board  in a big tub, but that wasn't the most convenient way to escape - he decided the best way to escape would be his personal chest - enough space for a person who once had 2 legs.
34055895885_02eff3e48c_c.jpg

33213482474_2fccb5299f_c.jpg

More pictures: 
33668441100_9f08f920d5_c.jpg

33923854241_58c3f3dbb1_c.jpg

Garveyan Xebec loaded with guys ready for the fight:
33896258882_37c46ffcd5_c.jpg

33244431193_cd53277864_c.jpg

_______

Finished this in the last minute really - I'll see if I can add some more story before the deadline is up, but at least the build is already up now. Feel free to request more pics - I might be able to take some more tomorrow morning.

Edit: The Garveyan Xebec is a 4A (I'm gonna see about a story later) and the Mardieran Fishing Dhow is a 1F - I'm not even gonna bother with a story to aquire it;)
Edit: I guess we messed up a bit with the organisation - he lost his second leg twice, oops.

Edited by Legostone

I really like the foamy waves, and the fish are a nice touch too!  Great pair of ships also - the curves are excellent! :thumbup: 

Nice ships! My favourite is the xebec, grey red and white, looking good!

Great Xebec, but what really stands out is the Dhow, with its masts. connecting pins in a flex-tube (?) is a really nice idea! Oh, and I cant wait to find out what body part will our beloved captain lose at a possible part IV... :grin:

4 hours ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Poor guy .... :pir-laugh:

:D He is Marderian

23 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

I really like the foamy waves, and the fish are a nice touch too!  Great pair of ships also - the curves are excellent! :thumbup: 

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Bodi said:

Nice ships! My favourite is the xebec, grey red and white, looking good!

Thank you! Glad the colourscheme worked out:D

4 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Great Xebec, but what really stands out is the Dhow, with its masts. connecting pins in a flex-tube (?) is a really nice idea! Oh, and I cant wait to find out what body part will our beloved captain lose at a possible part IV... :grin:

Thanks! I think the spar with a flex tube with technic pins has been done before, I think at least Kabel and Kolonialbeamter have used it. I think the hull technique is also from KB, but I'm not 100% sure. I guess there isn't much to lose, sadly our planning went a bit over board and he loses his second leg twice now:P

If she's interacting with a xebec I might have called her a felucca, but then again this is BoBS so it doesn't matter all that much. I really don't think the pennants on the xebec really work. Took me a moment to figure out that's what they were. As for the rest of it, the ships, the scene, I love it all. This may be one of the nicest xebecs we've had around here. The small bronze guns are a clever construction using telescopes and really fit with the vessel just right. I'm willing to bet that the red masts were a case of making what you have work, but they do work so well. Having the transition between connectors and axles hints at a taper that's so hard to get with brick built masts and spars. 

I'm one of those sick puppies who can't help but chuckle at mini-fig on mini-fig violence and this made me snicker. :devil: It's a fairly brutal attack, going after a fishing boat like that. The shot hole in the dhow's sail is a nice touch too. I guess the xebec's gun crew just didn't have the range when they opened fire. 

This was fun, thanks for sharing !

Any chance of some isolated shots of each before they got to the knacker's yard? 

7 hours ago, kurigan said:

If she's interacting with a xebec I might have called her a felucca, but then again this is BoBS so it doesn't matter all that much. I really don't think the pennants on the xebec really work. Took me a moment to figure out that's what they were. As for the rest of it, the ships, the scene, I love it all. This may be one of the nicest xebecs we've had around here. The small bronze guns are a clever construction using telescopes and really fit with the vessel just right. I'm willing to bet that the red masts were a case of making what you have work, but they do work so well. Having the transition between connectors and axles hints at a taper that's so hard to get with brick built masts and spars.

Pennants - the flag like thing I tried to replicate with 1x2 tiles and plates I guess? You are right, it was an experiment that didn't end up working out. Thanks! If you want me to I can go and post them in the Foundry later today. At the time of starting this build I was indeed running out of black long technic axles, but at the time I got new ones I still liked the old version so I just kept them. Same goes for the taper - most of my technic red technic connectors are in a red technic car, so I had to do with what I had.

I'm one of those sick puppies who can't help but chuckle at mini-fig on mini-fig violence and this made me snicker. :devil: It's a fairly brutal attack, going after a fishing boat like that. The shot hole in the dhow's sail is a nice touch too. I guess the xebec's gun crew just didn't have the range when they opened fire. 

:D

Any chance of some isolated shots of each before they got to the knacker's yard? 

Yes, will do that later today or tomorrow. They'll most likely remain intact for a while, as I quite like them :D (and I rarely keep a ship for less than 3-6 months, the oldest ship I still have assembled is from September last year.

You have really captured the elegance of the lateen rig beautifully in both vessels, which is no small feat. And I really like colour scheme of the xebec - the ornate red on the white (and nicely shaped) hull, just like the felucca's discreet brown, works out really well.

I am pretty impressed by the shaping of the hulls, which is hard to get right at this scale. (Just like the guns at this scale - would like to see more of them too).

I don't think I have anything to suggest in terms of constructive criticism for the vessels, as they are really very well made! The waves work well, although at closer gaze, the 2x2 slopes does look a tad too straight sided. Perhaps just using one layer of those, varying their height and interspersing them with plates and cheese slopes could make it look more realistic. However, as I said, they work well for the purpose here as is. :)

On 4/21/2017 at 6:29 PM, Bregir said:

You have really captured the elegance of the lateen rig beautifully in both vessels, which is no small feat. And I really like colour scheme of the xebec - the ornate red on the white (and nicely shaped) hull, just like the felucca's discreet brown, works out really well.

I am pretty impressed by the shaping of the hulls, which is hard to get right at this scale. (Just like the guns at this scale - would like to see more of them too).

I don't think I have anything to suggest in terms of constructive criticism for the vessels, as they are really very well made! The waves work well, although at closer gaze, the 2x2 slopes does look a tad too straight sided. Perhaps just using one layer of those, varying their height and interspersing them with plates and cheese slopes could make it look more realistic. However, as I said, they work well for the purpose here as is. :)

For the vessels - thanks, but don't be too fast; the Xebec actually has one of my least favorite hulls as of lately, you'll see why further down. I guess I managed to hide it well with the water :D

I was told to rework my waves by @Captain Green Hair before, I just didn't find the time before the deadline came around, so I had to leave them as they were, but I think they are still alright. Will keep your criticism in mind for the next time I'll be building waves (which might be a while until then...)

So, now the requested pictures of the vessels, starting with the Dhow (Felucca if you want...):

33831273960_b7a6cf9eb6_c.jpg

33831275220_0333aa5de9_c.jpg

33831276590_d3e2f80241_c.jpg

33831278020_17a6deddc4_c.jpg

Again, the technique for it is by @Kolonialbeamter, but I think mine is still a bit different from his construction.

Now, onto the Xebec:

34057978912_9f84a05f12_c.jpg

34057980762_9d14521e47_c.jpg

34057982282_64b1984503_c.jpg

34057984032_69dde34512_c.jpg

34057985642_d3535ba75b_c.jpg

As I said further up, I think the hull is below the average compared to most of my other latest ships, but I guess I managed to hide the flaws quite well with the waves:D Maybe (just maybe) I'll eventually decide that I want another Xebec and recycle those sails then. Luckily it doesn't use many uncommon parts (besides dk tan for the deck), so I think I should be able to leave it assembled for some time at least.

The Xebec is a wonderful vessel. Normally I wouldn't have chosen such a striking coloursheme (of course, I'm the guy who only uses like 3 colours in a moc). But it works well, as it is probably suitable for a more exotic ship type. I like the stemhead the most. Although the soft axles are a common solution, I want to say that they work particularly well here, it's very elegant.

With the war at an end, Garveyan Captain Kayne Lowes decided it was time to move to a merchant vessel - but a lack of funds prevented this. He decided to meet his old Friend Jerome Monezterrell in Fuerte Unido to sell his old Xebec and the fishing vessel that he had captured during the war.

39607895734_0ef2c38346_b.jpg

With the vessels in hand, Monezterrell decided it was time to handle the paperwork right away, purchasing the Mercury (class 3 Xebec) as well as the Eerie (class 1 Dhow)

38510114630_d900afcc40_b.jpg

While the transaction was occurring, background activity assured that none of Kayne Lowes men would go swimming in these waters...

39421727155_2ecc4bce4b_b.jpg

Note: Yes, those are the same cliffs as for my Galleon, I hope nobody complains about that :pir-laugh:

Very nice scene, great work! The curving and the cannons of the ship look great to me. And what a poor shark this is. :-) 

And really no reason not to reuse this wonderful background!

Edited by Elostirion

Somehow I missed this ... The Xebec is quite stunning ... As mentioned the guns fit it well and the action shots were great lol.  Im loving the fishing boat even if its not your design ... But the waves are my favorite.  

But i still spy no grey parrots lol ... I would be using those bluffs alot if they were mine so no arguments from me there

Oh noooooo! The greenies got two more ships!

That's a pair of beautifully built ships, these custom hulls look really good, so do the sails and riggins. And I like the new photos you added recently.

Some wonderful vessels and a great setting for the story. It's pretty clever to use the droid arms at the top of the palm trees. 

As much as I like the ships, going off the amount of gold in that crate, I have to say that the seller got a much better deal.