Sign in to follow this  
broomhandle

Anybody done a BL 10196: Grand Carousel ?

I have been thinking about this for awhile. 2 big ones for a BL is the cloth tops, and the dark red inverted slopes.

I have seen the lepin set, and was thinking if I could get just the cloth, and change from dark red... it might be doable. Has anybody thought about this?

I bricklinked one, although it was heavily modified. I went to regular red for the slopes and I used thick paper for the canopies. I built the whole thing for less than $100 since I had most of the pieces already.

Also, not a deal breaker, but the sound brick is quite hefty also. I didn't splurge on anything for it though.

Although I will say I was not impressed with how it ran. The way it is designed, it is not a very smooth rotation and I think LEGO could come up with a much better mechanism if they did a new one in the near future (which I've heard rumors, but you never know).

Are you saying you want to buy the Lepin set and get official LEGO canopy? I'm lost why Lepin was brought up at all...

Edited by TheLegoDr
Added more information

cool, do you have pics? Yes, i was thinking of a slight mod as well. I mentioned lepin, because they make a copy, and I was thinking i wonder if i could get just the canopy... 

lepin blocks are not welcome in my home... haha

I BL mine about a year ago.

These are my customisations:

1. Replaced the dark red pieces with red. 
  2. Cut my own fabric.  
  3. Replaced the red/blue jester hats with chrome gold helmets.
  4. No sound brick and stickers, but I was comtemplating to change the white 1 x 2 x 5 white brick pieces to some transparent coloured 1 x 1 round plates.
  5. Replaced the pieces that are hidden inside beneath with a cheaper colour of the same part. e.g technic bricks, axle joints, dark blue jumpers
  6. Got the light-bluish gray 48 x 48 baseplate inside of the green one.
  7. Used my own minifigs which I have on hand, e.g minfigs from "Fun in the park" set
  8. Build my own MOC carousel horses.

I do not have pictures, but did a video on it. Have fun bricklinking!

Edited by darkhorse00

I also did this a while ago and made a lot of modifications because some of the parts are way too expensive.

20661620521_fc4e58322a_c.jpg

(original topic)

So I used a different colour scheme, omitted the sound brick, made my own canopies out of paper and built my own rides because I didn't like the original horses. I also replaced the jester hats and chose minifigure heads according to the rides. My husband bought some custom made stickers on ebay.

I unfortunately do not have any close up shots of my build. Hopefully if I ever figure out how to work my wife's fancy camera, I will.

With that said, my changes were basically very little dark blue. All of the 2x2 plates and technic bricks on the inside were all changed to other colors that were cheaper that I had on hand. Like I said, I basically had to order very little, so I went with colors I had available.

I did away with jester hats and no heads. Instead I built different gold accented designs to take their place. I also didn't use the 16L white axle like the original. I used the 2L light bley axle connectors to make it look a bit more solid. And my bottom steps are actually solid instead of open on the front. And I didn't use any stickers on the center section like the original had. I instead used a pattern of trans studs to make it look like it will light up centrally on the tower.

I would say darkhorse00 did a really good job on the horses. I made my own rides too since I didn't like the horses that came with the original. I actually just used Kingdoms printed horses and had them stationary, then used other rides I built to make them go up and down.

I would say overall mine looks decent. It is definitely different than the above two shared and the original. It's nice to put your own spin on things. Hopefully I'll get some pictures sometime.