This is my entry to TC11 - RAZOR MKII

This was going to be Razor from UK Robot Wars, however I ran out of space in the 45 stud cube, so although similar to Razor, I figured it was different enough to be named Razor II. This robot grabs other bots. Weaker machines are simply crushed, tougher machines are dumped in "The Pit". The body work is almost touching the floor to defend against flipper bots, and the bodywork is solid liftarm construction to be spinner proof. The bot weighs in at 1.8kg. It's driven by 2 L motors. The Claw is powered by twin M-motors and the cobra wings (just to look threatening) are driven by an M-motor. All IR controlled.

dscf8948_-_copy.jpg

[media]

[/media]

More pics to follow

dscf8949_-_copy.jpg

dscf8950_-_copy.jpg

dscf8951_-_copy.jpg

dscf8954_-_copy.jpg

dscf8955_-_copy.jpg

Edited by Burko-uk

What did you use for front wheels? I am reworking my bot thanks to seeing this and blackout!!

The bot looks good, but it could be improved by using XL-motors for the drive, especially with the load you have. Also, as cool as the arm is, it needs to drop fast and hard to hit another bot.

1 hour ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

The bot looks good, but it could be improved by using XL-motors for the drive, especially with the load you have. Also, as cool as the arm is, it needs to drop fast and hard to hit another bot.

The arm of the original battle bot came down very slow but with many tons of force so it would slowly pierce through the opponent. 

I like how "batte-bot-y" this looks. The shapes are really nice and well thought-out. The gray color scheme works quite well too, I think. Also the picture from below makes it look quite densely packed. Nice!

I do agree it's a bit slow though. Both in movement and in weapon. This may also be caused by the wheels being at the far back. It might work better if the driven wheels are a bit more near the center, because then they are closer to the center of gravity, so 1. they carry more weight and 2. there's less "sway" when turning.

11 hours ago, Leonardo da Bricki said:

yes that would help. the xls are very (torquey?) so it would make it move better.

9 hours ago, allanp said:

The arm of the original battle bot came down very slow but with many tons of force so it would slowly pierce through the opponent. 

i agree it is very slow

Yeah, it ended up weighing more than I anticipated. There is a gearchange mechanism in there too using a servo motor to give a slower speed at the push of a button, however this clearly became redundant so is dead mass now. But that just makes it even tougher to flip or push about by the opponent. Also agree with the XLs being a better option now, but I don't get much spare time, and decided to go with what I had rather than miss the deadline.

The arm isn't meant to be fast moving. The primary purpose is to grab a victim, rather than hit it like a hammer.

The front wheels are hubs from the "Studded Era" Test Car wheels. I picked those as they are smooth plastic, low friction, so the skid steer wouldn't be impacted.

I get the point about the driven wheel location, but all the motors and the battery box, and most of the structure for the arm are all at the back. Clearly CoG will move when another bot has been grabbed, but once grabbed, speed is less of an issue.

The bot is good looking but its slowness is a weakness. I read that its supposed to crush its opponent but you would probably not get the chance to come close to an opponent and get torn apart instead. The arm looks very cool though

Except it won't get torn apart as it's built like a tank... which admittedly is part of the reason it is as fast as a tank.

I don't mind that it is slow, it does look like a proper bot seen on TV! Great MOC. :thumbup:

I like the look, but everything is so slow ... speed up Your video in videoeditor :)

Really nice work here. You've done a good job of replicating the claw weapon with Technic beams, even down to the self-righting wings. The armour looks pretty tough too.

As others have said, it's a bit too slow (although I personally have no issues with the speed of the claw). I'd love to see this MOC revamped with speedy skid-steering wheels on the outside, just like the real thing.

My only other issue is that obviously the claw can't really crush things, so I wonder how effective this entry would be against other entries. I guess you can trap them and push them around, but otherwise this feels less like a Lego battlebot and more like a Lego replica of a battlebot.

Apart from that, great job and good luck in the contest!